Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro >

T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Rex 450 SE or MX400 Pro

Thanks for all your help on my questions i am going to support my local hobby store. One for the parts and for their help and support once i buy the helicopter, But most of all is that they have training lessons once i buy the heli from them. These machines with out the help of an expirinced pilot or support from a hobby store is just thowing away your money. I must say these electric helis with all the accessories cost as much as a raptor .30 or a hawk pro by century helicopter. I will decide later weather nitro or battery i am weighing the pros and cons of both

I am currently flying a XRB with the tether line and I must say I LOVE IT I can use it the whole day without having to charge a battery and since i fly it in my apartment it is the perfect size. I am going to buy the Helimax rotofly to fly in my apt. what do you guys think of that little heli.

Have fun flying.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:09 AM
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read almost every post in here to much my surprise. I have a Trex SE and wanted to buy a x-400 just because of price. I think I will abandon that idea and buy a second Trex instead. I like the red anodized parts for the x-400 though. maybe I will go with the purple Trex.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:25 PM

There you go JC--Good choice. I've been dealing with my LHS 40 Years and have had nothing but 100% help & great relationshiops. A bad item from an unknown source will be nothing but grief. Peter(Snowblizzard) happens to use the same LHS, with the same experience as me. And if you're a Novice, the advise & help is Priceless!!! (I'm a Heli flying Novice, though fairly good at all hovering afer 7 Wks, but very knowlegable in RC, aerodynamics, etc)--As I mentioned earlier, The only original parts of my Blade are the Radio, Servos, Motor, and Fly Bar & Fly Blades. I crashed multitudes of times but with the nearby LHS, was flying within an Hour or so. At least my incidents are come less often and considerably less damaging. Remember too, Parts wear, and must be replaced intermittantly. Also, JC, yes Heli's can be expensive!! In my days of fixed wing, planes kept flying & flying & flying with rare, quick & easy repairs. Heli's are 1000 Times more sophisticated and interesting, and (At least in my experience)require considerably more repairs, maintainance, etc.

As for the XRB--I'm really not acqainted with it.--Is that the Coax job? If so, yes, guess they can be fun for a while, but there's nothing like flying the real thing---One of the most difficult things I ever learned--And still learning.

Dave:-- What's not to love about the SE? My LHS was pushing it the mx400, and I looked at it several times, but was constantly turned off by the mCCPM. Yes, it can rebuilt with eCCPM conversion, but Why bother??? Agree it's more expensive, but like most of the time--You get what you pay for. And this NEW Trex45SE(CDE) is even better yet. Can't wait for mine to come in. (Yes, my LHS got the line when enough people shwed interest, and will carry a full line of replacement parts--(That, --I'll need!!)

Lloyd
Old 01-31-2006, 03:06 PM

No, you missed my point................I am having so much fun with the SE I figured I needed (wanted) another micro heli. I have 3 nitro heli's and love them but these micro electrics are a blast. I was going to buy something differant than an SE just so I would have something defferant but I think now I will buy another Trex of some sort and have 2 of the best.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM

Got it Dave---If you read my earlier posts, I have a 'Virgin' Raptor 30 I built 6 yrs ago, which I WILL take out this spring, though seriously comsidering selling it because of the "Mess"--My wife's a nut job when it comes to "Neatness" & 'cleanlieness' --
I tried a Piccolo 5 yrs ago which was a total disastor. As I was discussing with Snowblizzard, and please correct me if I'm wrong, heavier is more stable. Didn't fly the Raptor for fear of cracking it up, and the Piccolo sort of proved the point. Then decided 7 Wks ago to try again--and have learned remarkably well with the Blade despite the numerous reairs I've done. (I've gotten so good, can totally rip it apart, and rebuild with a new frame, set it up, and have it flying in less than 2 hours)- (The 3 bearing Blage grips take 10 Min)---I'd rather be flying.

So my assumption is that having learned on the Blade, The Trex will be more stable in over-all flying, although with the Bell-Hiller rotor it will be considerably more responsive.

Lloyd
Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM

Yea, the Trex is quick responding. That is a good thing though, its a quick but controllable response. I think after flying micros the nitro helis would be a piece of cake, atleast the hovering part. My 90SE Raptor is a cadillac compared to these little things. On the Trex I use -35% Expo on the cyclic controlls. This smoothens up the hovering ALOT.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Dave

I have the Futaba T8UHPs for the Raptor which I'll use for the Trex. Saw several on-line radio set-ups so will probably start with one of them, unless you have a 'favorite' which works for you. I'm still at the hovering stage, so will probably not even set up Idle up's yet.

LLoyd
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM

As far as the Raptor setups, a good place to start is Raptor technique's website. As far as the Trex we set it up like the book, and went from there to fine tune it to our likeing. We are running our low head speed at 2300 and the high at 2500, this makes it very responsive but very smooth. The Raptor 50 head speed should be around 1650 low and 1850 high. I fly the exact same transmitter and setup on 2 raptor 50's, 1 90SE Raptor and a Trex. Depends on what motor you are using on the Trex to where the throttle curve needs to be.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 PM

Dave,

If you are thinking about the MX400 Pro because you like the anodized parts or just the novelty of getting a different copter, then I would have to encourage you to go for it. I had my heli at a local store this past week and another pilot came over and examined my copter from head to tail. He couldn't believe that the very nice looking red-anodized swash plate actually came stock in the MX400 Pro package. He complimented me on many aspects of this machine. I am very happy with my MX400 Pro but given all of the positive feedback on the Trex on this site, I am planning on getting a 450 SE.

I was also considering a Raptor 90SE as my first try at a nitro heli and wanted to know what you think. My thought was that I would just start with what I thought was the best nitro bird so I wouldn't have to gradually upgrade to a bigger copter over time.

Peter
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Peter,

I wouldn't go with the Raptor 90SE as the first nitro heli. It is a super great copter, but parts are pricey. Its a beast in the sky, I love the huge size of it. This size will timidate some people not use to it. Just so much money involved in the 90 size stuff. We also have 50 Raptors and them are a blast. Tons of power for anything and parts are cheap. Big enough to be stable and agile. Don't get me wrong I will fly my 90 over my 50 anyday but I always use my 50 to practice all new manuevers.

As far as the X-400 or Trex, I would hate to end up with a X-400 with a bunch of Trex parts on it to make it fly good. I do love the cost of most of the parts for the X-400. I am still undecided really. I haven't seen a X-400 fly in person. I can atest for the Trex for being a really nice little heli, stock or modified.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 PM

Dave: Thanks for the set-up info-- Haven't decided on a Trex motor yet---Any suggestions? I like the Phoenix 35A ESC

Peter: Would you like to buy my Raptor 30? Still a 'Maiden' and ready to go with a PCM Futaba 8 Ch Receiver, Fut S9202 servos,Gyro(Not HH),&OS Max 30 engine. You're only about 40 minutes from me at the most and can take a look almost anytime after I get back. Would like to meet you anyway.

I'll be away till 2/15 at which time my Trex should be here.

Have fun guys & I'll "speak" on my return

Lloyd
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM

Dave,

Does the Raptor 90SE come with main blades?

I realize that it is pricey to repair but my logic is why bother continually upgrading when you can by the top dog for not too much more and accoring to what I've read, it's a whole lot more stable due to it's large size. When I want to go small, I'll have my MX400 and T-rex.

Lloyd,

Actually, I checked out a 30 size heli at our LHS and I think I want to go bigger for my first nitro heli. I'll probably go 50 or up and maybe even consider the 90se depending on what I can read about it to see if it makes sense to go so big for the first one.

Peter
Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Peter, remember the cost isn't only the heli but all the electronics. NO is does not come with blades. It does not come with exhaust either. Servos are about twice as much for the 90SE as the 50. The gyro you should run a GY-611, not just a GY-401. I paid more for the kit and engine of the 90SE as I have in my whole velociRaptor 50. Up to you, it does fly good. If you get the 90SE you need the upgrade "O"ring dampers for the head, this will make it fly alot smoother. Check out Heliproz for pricing and package deals for ALL Raptors. they are very knowledgable and have very good prices.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 PM

I'm new to the heli world, was wondering if you guys can help me decide what to buy. I want to buy a t-rex 450 xl, but I don't want to spend a lot of time setting this up, and don't have a clear understanding. Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RTF-ALIGN-NEW-T-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-06-2006, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Looks good, but I never recommend carbons for novices. Always use woodies as it will save grips, mixing levers amd links in a crash as the woodies will shatter. Combo looks good, but get the one on there with motor/esc, you can put in a best offer...I offered 179.99 and got it :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I would get a GY240 if you can't get the GY401, but I highly recommend the GY401. Lipos and charger you can find on Ebay, but you get what you pay for. Get atleast 1300mah's, but 2100 will be better with a lipo specific charger. Probably 99.99 or cheaper. You can find a Futaba 6exh with servos and receiver set for 169.99 and less.

heli/esc/motor 179.99
radio set 169.99
gyro(240) 99.99
lipo/charger 99.99

You are looking at 550 and probably cheaper if you can get a combo deal at any online retailer like Modefo's ,RC Hover,GrandRC or Helihobby. I personally dealt with RChover with good results, but that was not a combo deal.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM

Well, I finally got a T-Rex 450 SE (cde). It is an amazing machine. It is definitely superior to my MX400 Pro but it also cost a few bucks more. The looks of the machine (all carbon), to the metal whirring sound of the all metal head, to the amazing stability with which it flies, I think it is much better than my MX400 Pro which I also like. I tried to attacha picture of my new machine (hopefully this works). It took several nights and several hours per night to get it all together from kit form but it was well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61061.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	405262  
Old 02-10-2006, 05:19 PM

Hi Guys:

Still out of town Cruising the Carribean. Weather perfect---Panama canal really amazing. Brilliant operation with such 'simple' engineering. Should have taken my Blade with me. I'll forget how to fly!!! Back next Wed.

Can't wait to get home as my LHS should have my Trex by then. Peter, you sound enthusiastic re your's. Is it the "new" one with the aluminum gears??

Have fun & will pick up with all of you when I get home.

Lloyd
Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 PM

Lloyd,

I was informed that this is the latest version of the T-Rex SE from the place I got it. There is so much metal on this bird, it's hard to believe. I'd say that this is one of the major differences in comparison with the MX 400 Pro. Although compared to the MX 400, the pro is supposed to have many more aluminum parts, the T-Rex SE is a whole other level when it comes to machined parts.

Lloyd, do you know exactly which parts they changed in the latest T-Rex edition? I believe the better swash plate was one of the upgrades but I am not sure.

Peter
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 AM

The MX 450 will be out this spring. It is all metal and I suppose will compare somewhat to the best Trex. Yesterday I spent the day in Champaign Ill at the first E-Fest. The word is that it is to be an annual event. It was held in the Illini armory which is where all the field events for the university are held. It is almost as big as outdoors, 100 ft ceiling with no obstructions. It was quite a worthwile event to see. All electric, both helis and planes. Open flying for 2 hours and company demos for 2 hours all day long and a heli contest at 5:30 and plane contest at 7:00 with night flying after that and a whole bunch of vendors. We did not leave the building till 10:00. A great day! I guess I was most impressed by the young boys that were outdoing most adults with the helis. There were two boys in the heli contest, 10 and 12 years old that were amazing.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 AM

Hi Peter, Dave, et al:

Back from the cruise and totally beat. Even too tired to take out the Blade for a flight!!!

I'm gong to Willis (LHS) tomorrow for my Trex & accessories. Hopefully they'll all be in.

Peter, I'll check the link re the info for the "New" 450 SE CDE -- (That's what it's called). It's on the Align web site. I know there are several "clean up" improvements, and the main gears and tail pully's also are aluminum. It's supposed to be slightly more expensive than the "prior" models. (Only out about a Month). On their site, they list both the "New" and "Old" ones--I would assume they would phase out the prior ones ??

Whatever---will get back to you tomorrow after looking over the Kit.

Lloyd

Old 02-16-2006, 01:17 AM

The site is

www.align.com.tw

Lloyd
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 AM

OK--

Fully awake this AM. Checked out the Align Web site. I Noted that the "OLD" Trex 450 SE is NOT LISTED any more on their catalog of Trexes(?). This New one really looks fantastic compared to the "old" one if that's possible.

Off to my LHS later.

Lloyd
Old 02-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Lloyd,

From what I've been able to gather from various websites, they are phasing out the prior version of the SE. The changes include a new blue main gear (this should be the easiest way to determine if it is the latest version). The tail pulley system now incorporates metal gears (I'm not sure if this is a great idea because they still use a rubber belt to drive the tail and the mismatch between the stiffness of rubber and the metal pulley may not offer an advantage over a plastic gear for this application). The swash plate is supposed to be beefed up.

After my research, I determined that my version is not the latest release but since I have built it and am quite satisfied with it, I am wondering if there are is a reason at this point to buy the newer parts. I have found the blue main gear on one site and it is only a $14 upgrade. I don't mind having white main gear (which came with my kit).

It will be interesting to see if the newest upgrades provide any major benefits.

Peter
Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 PM

Peter:

Picked up my Trex kit today, and though it's really beautiful, it's the OLD one---Not the NEW--You're correct re the "blue" drive gears & metal tail drive pullies. Was really disappointed as I was told I'd have the new one, but Mark apparantly checked with the distributer and was told this is the only one available. Will discuss it with Ken tomorrow, but considering my advanced flight abilities (Hovering) won't really make a difference in the end. Then again I pulled it apart & soldered all the connectors on the Battery, ESC,Motor, etc so I really can't bring it back!!! In looking over the details, however, this does have many of the improved parts--the 'light weight' swash, etc, etc, etc... As I said, for me it really won't make a real difference. Will be using 3 HS56 HB servos, a Futaba 9650 for the tail,the GY401 Gyro, & Thunder 2100 LiPo. Am using my T8UAP-S Xmitter with a Micro Hitec dual conversion 6 Ch receiver. The manual does provide excellent power/gear/mechanical & radio set-up as a start--- once flying will 'Tune to Taste'.

At least I can still fly the Blade--Had 3 good flights despite beat-up Rotor Blades !!

Lloyd

Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 AM

Lloyd,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the old versus newer T-Rex 450 SE. I thought I had the latest one but I clearly have white main gear and I'll tell you, it is a quantum leap above the blade CP. As far as appearance, I think it is the same overall in terms of the last 2 versions. I went with the silver/carbon look and I just love it. As I said, it appears you can get the main gear in blue from one of the online sites for $14 and unless I'm wrong, this may include the machined pulley system for the tail. We'll have to wait until someone actually gets the newest version to see if there is a difference. Maybe Willis can order the hop-ups needed to convert our older version to the newest version and then we can make a comparison? I'd be cursious if they could get these parts and I'd probably make the trip (about 70 miles for me) to get those parts from the store.

Wait till you get the new bird in the air...such a smooth hover and translational flight is also quite nice.

Peter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.