Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Looking for Advice on a T-Rex

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Looking for Advice on a T-Rex

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
NVSFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Advice on a T-Rex

I'm looking into getting a T-Rex in the next few months and was hoping some of you smart guys here could post what and where I can get a good buy on a kit. I currently have a modded out 35 that I've done just about everything I can too so I'm not nervous about getting my hands dirty. I don't mind spending a bit of money on it but would like to get something I can grow into over the summer. I don't do 3D yet but plan on it sometime in the future. I've looked at many websites on the T-Rex and there seems to be lots and lots of options for it. What I'm looking into is a down and dirty list of things that I can't live without and a list of things that are really nice to have. I'm looking towards getting the 450 LX I also see the SE but not sure if I need it, or is it all bling or should I just get this version and call it a day.

Here is a list of things that I currently have and would like to use.

Spektrum DX6
3 Apex 12c 2200mAH batteries
GY401 with 9524 Servo put a cheapy back in the 35

I understand that the Spektrum isn't the best due to it only having 3 curves but I would still like to use this for now.

I would like to try and buy most of it online for the best prices if you could post a few links for the best websites it would be a great help. I'm aware of a lot of websites but going back and forth trying to compair prices on things I'm unsure of gets a bit frustrating I found this a few different kits here my question about this kit was should I get my own motor / ESC combo or is this one ok. http://www.helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html

Thanks in advance
Nate
Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Looking for Advice on a T-Rex

http://www.techmodelproducts.com/trex.php

Trex XL HDE (since you use the Dx6) + Align Motor/ESC - $235 shipped

http://www.techmodelproducts.com/radio_elect.php

3x HS-65 servos w/ karbonite geardrive on the cyclic and collective - $75

this should make a bulletproof heli. i recommend buying the SE drivetrain set too.
Part # HS1153
Part # HS1154-02

about $25 worth will ensure perfectly round & true gears. takes care of all the reliability issues and youll have a spare gear too.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
NVSFlyer

Ok have another question for you. Are you suggesting the HDE over the CDE due to the DX6 not being good enough for it, I know that the DX6 will do the mixing just trying to learn as to why not use CDE. I like the HDE system because it's easy from me to understand since I work on Helicopters in real life I'm just trying to learn as to why not use CDE with this TX. Also that's is a great deal on a T-Rex is there any other parts I should upgrade before I go putting it all together then having to take it all apart again?

Thanks again
Nate
Old 03-03-2006, 09:35 PM
jh4db536

i am suggesting the HDE because the DX6 has "latency" issues with ECCPM. although it has the ECCPM programming in it, it's buggy. ECCPM requires 3 matched servos for simultaneous actuation for a reason, and if the Tx's mix program is throwing off the sychronization, it wont work correctly. the last thing you need is improper cyclic control. with the HDE you should be safe from this issue.

people have been getting around this software problem by implanting the dx6's spread sprectrum encoder board into the jr 6102 Tx. they get the best of everything after that.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM
NVSFlyer

Ok that all makes sense I see what you are getting at. I guess my next question to you is, what are the advantages of ECCPM over a mechanical swash plate?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
jh4db536

IMO i dont see any advantages CDE versus HDE. However there could be advantages for the SE (direct swashplate control) versus the HDE.

The POTENTIAL for less slop and ultra fine precision if the right equipment are used with proper setup. Direct swashplate control is also lighter as there are no levers and way less linkages. The servos mount directly to the frame righter under the swashplate on the SE.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:16 AM
lotek8404

I came across with Trex on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

ORIGINAL: NVSFlyer

I'm looking into getting a T-Rex in the next few months and was hoping some of you smart guys here could post what and where I can get a good buy on a kit. I currently have a modded out 35 that I've done just about everything I can too so I'm not nervous about getting my hands dirty. I don't mind spending a bit of money on it but would like to get something I can grow into over the summer. I don't do 3D yet but plan on it sometime in the future. I've looked at many websites on the T-Rex and there seems to be lots and lots of options for it. What I'm looking into is a down and dirty list of things that I can't live without and a list of things that are really nice to have. I'm looking towards getting the 450 LX I also see the SE but not sure if I need it, or is it all bling or should I just get this version and call it a day.

Here is a list of things that I currently have and would like to use.

Spektrum DX6
3 Apex 12c 2200mAH batteries
GY401 with 9524 Servo put a cheapy back in the 35

I understand that the Spektrum isn't the best due to it only having 3 curves but I would still like to use this for now.

I would like to try and buy most of it online for the best prices if you could post a few links for the best websites it would be a great help. I'm aware of a lot of websites but going back and forth trying to compair prices on things I'm unsure of gets a bit frustrating I found this a few different kits here my question about this kit was should I get my own motor / ESC combo or is this one ok. http://www.helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html

Thanks in advance
Nate
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM
NVSFlyer

I see what you are getting at since most of the parts are all plastic each additional linkage adds to the slop of the main rotor head.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:30 PM
JLITZ3

I am also new and looking for some advise, I think the trex will be my next heli and I already have a Futaba 9cap so I am a bit confused about which Trex kit I should buy. I have been looking around on the web and I see several different trex kits. I plan on assembling it all myself and will probably need some help in the process. I have no idea what to buy in regards to gyros servos or receivers. I don't know one gyro from another. any help would be great. Thanks guys ..........
Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
jh4db536

Rx - futaba r146ip. probably one of the best r/c investments for you. can be used in any model later and it will be very reliable and glitch free.

buy a futaba gy401 gyro. that's pretty much the best, and will make your life much easier once it is setup properly. top of the line gyro for a micro/mini class heli.

for ease of setup, it might be a good idea to start with the trex XL HDE.

for motor & esc, just use the stock Align 430 (silver end caps) & 35amp esc. might want to invest in a medusa research or park BEC also.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
jeepson33s

i have to counter some of the claims of the cde being difficult to put together and learn on. this is my first heli and i got the cde because the hde was not avalible. i have had somone show me how to set up my radio and i have had only minor crashes with the cde. i did not find the cde hard to put together or fly. i have also been reading about the DX6 on this site and not too many good things said about the setup factor, save yourself some trouble and get the JR 6102 (large display and somewhat easy to learn). i love my cde and i would recomend it to anyone over the hde due to the upgrades you can do directly to it such as the align cf frame and you dont have to buy a cde swashplate. the may be easier to learn on but i have the cde and i learned fine. hope this helps and invest the extra 70 dollars and go with the JR with pcm.
just my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 AM
jh4db536

my post refers to Spirit's post.

he already said he has a futaba CA9 therefore that's why i recommended the r146ip. no need for him to buy a new jr tx.
IMO there is no realizable difference between a trex XL hde & cde...they both have linkages, the HDE is more straight forward for a beginner to figure out.
if youre talkin about the SE's ECCPM w/ direct swashplate control, now there's a potential performance realizable there over the indirect linkage setup.

the CDE requires 3 matched servos.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:39 AM
JLITZ3

TThanks jh4db536,
I will start there and take your advise, the rex seems like it might be a nice step up from the blade cp. I also think it will advance me a little from where I am now,only because of my lack of knowledge in picking out gyros and servos and speed controls and motors. I have done some electric flight with airplanes but I know the motor and speed controls are a bit different. Thanks for all of your help once again It's great to have people that know what their talking about. Nothing like experience.
Thanks, SpiritInTheSky......