Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

T-REX 450 XL HDE versus 450 CDE

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-REX 450 XL HDE versus 450 CDE

Old 03-16-2006, 04:01 PM
sallenburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-REX 450 XL HDE versus 450 CDE

Hello All,
I'm new to the site and forum so excuse any dumb questions. I'm new to the hobby and have several questions regarding the t-rex's. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be a good all around heli even for a beginner. Let me give a little background before I ask my questions as I think they will be of use. I started off the hobby with a JR Venture. Had it in the air a few times hovering only before the motor locked up on me. Shortly thereafter I switched jobs and had no time to pursue the hobby. Now that things have calmed down I'm getting back into it and think electric is now the way to go as far as learning (especially with the new advances in batteries, charging, etc.) I have some equipment to start off with (JR 8103 tx, r700 receiver, gy240 gyro, supernova 250s batter charger). I'm interested to know the opinions on the T-REX 450 XL HDE versus the T-REX XL CDE and are there certain versions? HeliProz is advertising a version 3 of the HDE? I believe my transmitter is able to handle both? Also, is the HDE version upgradeable to CCPM? Also, which servos would be the best as far as economy and performance? The last items would be charger and battery. I don't believe the supernova is compatible with lithium batteries. Thanks for any input you can give. Also, if you know of any better helis to suggest and/or the best sites for pricing these would be appreciated as well. Looking at the G3 for a simulator...any thoughts.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-REX 450 XL HDE versus 450 CDE

G3 is great! So are G2 and Reflex XTR

Look at these reputable vendors:
http://www.grandrc.com/
http://www.allerc.com/
http://www.modefosheli.com/

Your gy240 will work well. Most people choose the gy401, but for starting out, you will not see any performance difference. Both are ROCK solid.
ThunderPower 3s2100 are probably the most popular battery. Get at least 2.
For servos, 3x HS56 for cyclic is most popular. For the tail, HS56 or a digital Futaba are both good choices.

As for HDE/CDE, there are pros and cons of each. HDE is slightly less critical on the setup. With separate servos for each function (collective, roll and pitch) there is less tendency for interaction between controls. But there are more linkages, which is easy to lead to more slop.
CDE has less slop. CDE is more likely to strip servo gears in a crash (replacements at servocity.com)
Vince