Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

SE Tail Belt Tension

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

SE Tail Belt Tension

Old 03-21-2006, 07:27 AM
iceman101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Tail Belt Tension

Hi guys, how tight should the drive belt on my heli be?
The manual says the i should be able to 'pinch' the belt about 3/4 of the width of the gear with considerable force. What is considerable force? the amount of force required depends on where along the exposed length of the belt you're pushing against. I tried this to what I thought could be right but when I rotate the main blades it feels very 'jerky', I had assumed that it would feel smooth....Help[]

Thanks in advance for the assistence....ICE
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
H0ndaJunkie

Default RE: SE Tail Belt Tension

My manual says "You should be able to apply light tension to the belt with your finger until it reaches a point 3/4 of the way to the opposite edge of the main gear, or 1/4 of the way past the virtual center of the main gear."

If the belt is too loose, the belt will possibly slip......if it's too tight, the belt will de a drag on the motor and slow it down.

For me, to start off with, I pull the belt tight enough to where it would obviously slow the motor down. You can feel this tight belt effect by sliding the tall boom out so that the belt is very tight, and then rotating the tail blades with your finger. When the belt is tight, the blades will be slightly difficult to turn. Then, I start pushing the boom back in, slightly loosening the belt bit by bit, and checking the tightness by rotating the tail blades. Testing tension in this way, I'm pretty happy with the medium tension that I've been able to acheive. By doing this, you can make sure that your belt tension is half way between too loose and too tight.

Hope that helps, it's not really a science. :-)
Old 03-23-2006, 12:05 PM
iceman101

Thanks hondajunkie, at the moment I'm grounded as everything i ordered was i stock except the Li-po charger which should arrive in about 2 weeks.........ICE
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM
hdoc

Go by the book-- Forget 'considerable' force. With a small screwdriver, just press on one side of the belt near the boom support with "minor' force to 1/2 to 3/4 across the boom. Then, If you turn the head in the normal CW direction, the motor won't turn & rotation should be smooth. Try holding the head still & rotating the tail rotor--FIRMLY- OK if with firm pressure a tooth skips on the belt--If it doesn't it's too tight. Don't try this with Nitro's. Got this from a real Heli Expert.

Lloyd