Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Mounting GY-401 Gyro Upside Down - PLEASE HELP!!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Mounting GY-401 Gyro Upside Down - PLEASE HELP!!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 AM
plkoegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting GY-401 Gyro Upside Down - PLEASE HELP!!

Hey All -

I recently purchased a Futaba GY-401 gyro for my Trex 450 SE and fly it two days ago with the gyro mounted ON TOP of the boom mounting plate. The helicopter flew amazing and then I came on this forum and read about the chance of gyro destruction in this location. So, I flipped the mount upside down, trimmed the carbon body, and mounted the gyro upside down under the boom. Yesturday, I tried flying it and once it was about 20 ft in the air, it took a sharp left turn and came crashing down, breaking a lot of parts. With the gyro mounted upside down, do I need to change any of the settings on the gyro (such as gyro direction, etc.)? I thought I checked this, but maybe I've done something wrong.
Please Help!

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default RE: Mounting GY-401 Gyro Upside Down - PLEASE HELP!!

Any time you make changes its good to verify proper operation. A quick gyro check is to put it in normal mode and give right rudder, the servo should pull the rod forwards, put it in avcs and move the nose to the left (counter clockwise looking down on the heli) and again the servo should pull the rod forwards.

If the first check is wrong the rudder channel needs reversed, if the second check is wrong the gyro needs reversed.

Flipping the gyro upside down reverses its operation (its how we reversed them before they came with switches) but I'm surprised you got it off the ground without it spinning like a blender.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
emosolo

Morning,

I am not sure but rotating something and then turning it upside down make it rotate backwards so... perhaps you needed to use the rev function on the gyro... take any object may a deck of cards rotate the deck clockwise, turn the deck upside down and rotate clockwise again but note the underside, its not turning in the opposite direction...

Regards,
Solo.

PS. Did your Gyro survive
Old 04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
hdoc

Barracuda's correct Reverse the Gyro sensing Switch. Always pre-check your rudder throw both with the transmitter rudder stick & rotating the Heli Rt & Left. Sorry you crashed, but we learn by our mistakes.

Lloyd
Old 04-05-2006, 09:11 AM
plkoegler

Awesome. Thanks for all the help, I set it up correctly last night and flew it in the garage! What an amazing, stable bird!!! I was able to hover it with almost no stick input and the tail stayed solid as a rock. The gyro was the best purchase I've made and I am finally extremely happy with the money I spent to get this helicopter (Trex 450 SE v2).