Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Canopy won't fit right

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Canopy won't fit right

Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Canopy won't fit right

Hello All,
I have a 450xl T-Rex with HS-56 servos. I've mounted the servos from behind, used the small servo arms and put my upper ball links on the inside of the arms. My canopy still hits the top of the servo arms but at least I can get it on now. I can tell the arms are still hitting because the canopy is flexing when I work the cyclic controls. I don't think there is anything else I can do to alleviate this. Is anyone else out there having this problem and what can I do about it?
Thanks
RickP
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
H0ndaJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canopy won't fit right

Are you talking about the HDE version, or the CDE version of TRex?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
RickP

Err, Don't know if I know what the difference is.... Mine is CCPM like the attached picture. (This is not my copter - I found it on the web).
RickP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85337.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	439388  
Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
H0ndaJunkie

Ok, that's the 450XL CDE......it's the CCPM version like you said.

I had the same problem with my CDE.........so the only thing I could do was to cut pieces out of the canopy near the swashplate, to stop some of the control arms from contacting the canopy. Sadly though, that didn't stop all of the servo horns from pushing on it.

look at the photos of my CDE on ebay.......I'm currently selling it......you'll see what I mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

I chopped down the front most servo horn as much as I couldn't but it still contacts, so I just rounded it off where I cut it. It flys fine.......the horn contacting the canopy doesn't cause any binding in this case, luckily! it is a little anoying though.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
RickP

Hey Thanks,
I have been fooling with it just the way it is. It dosen't seem to bother anything, but I don't like it at all. perhaps I'll add some bracing underneath just to keep the canopy off of the arms. From where yours is cut out It looks like your rubbing was more on the T type cyclic levers. Mine is rubbing much further up. Right on the top of the servo arm. The levers are clear from rubbing.
Thanks a bunch.
RickP
Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

I think you better cut slots in it like hondajunkie, on my xl cde the servo arm hit also and i set rite there the other day and watched it hang the servo up twice. I had a servo to go bad the other day on the side that was hanging up and i thought i just had a bad servo until i put the new one in and saw it hang up. I crashed this heli a few weeks back and was not sure what happened but now i think i know, the servo got hung(cost $100 to put it back flying). So save your self a lot of time and money and cut it, no one will really notice it.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 04-08-2006, 08:15 PM
sthac

Mine is the same. XLCDE Kit. I put a strip of Velcro across the topside of the battery tray (if you can call it that), and a small strip across the underside of the canopy. I then slide the canopy between the battery and the battery tray and the Velcro hold it down tight. You don't have to cut or trim anything at all. You have to move the rubber band on the battery all the way toward the rear of the heli and this works out fine. It is little tricky getting the canopy loose, but you get used to it if you try this. This helps make the battery more stable and ever so slightly raises the vertical CG. It gives enough lift to keep it out of the way.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:53 PM
larryk9

I have the same heli and had a huge problem with the servo horns hitting the canopy so I cut large holes in the canopy so they would move freely. I don't have any pics, but you can see it in this video: http://www.marksnet.net/larry/Chopper7.mov