Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Newbie TRex Advice Please >

Newbie TRex Advice Please

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Newbie TRex Advice Please

Old 05-14-2006, 05:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie TRex Advice Please

Hi all,
I've been flying Raptors for about a Year and Im looking into a Trex to Improve my Skills. Recently I did the same thing with airplanes and now I dont even fly my gas planes much I have so much fun with the electrics, Not to mention how much my flying skills have improved.
I am looking to do some horse trading for a TRex 450x V2. I know very little about electric heli's. Ive done some research so I know that the x is on the average end of Trex machines out there ; but what I need advice on is this,
It has a MS Composite HH gyro - I dont Know anything about this gryo, any problems? I do have an extra FUT. 401 I can replace latter.
It has GWS BB Servos
Align 3550kv brushless motor.
only upgrade is an aluminum tail case

The good thing is this TRex is ready to fly as is, My plan was to practice with what I got then upgrade; Seems that with the SE out there and the New 600 comming soon that Upgrade parts look pretty reasonable.

Does this seem like a good plan? or is this setup not worth upgrading?

Thanks for your Help.

David
Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie TRex Advice Please

Hi David,
You are trading for a used 450x?
With MS Composite HH gyro and GWS servos.
hmmm... Flyable, but lower end. I think that you might be disappointed.
The 450x is workable, but it has several issues that have been improved upon in newer versions. Slop. High friction in the linkages. All things that can be tweaked out, but I have no way of knowing how the builder dealt with these issues.
GWS servos? MS HH gyro? These are not the usual picks. There is a reason that people choose the Futaba gy401. Because it behaves properly. Hitec HS65 servos (or HS56) are picked because they center well, have good speed and lots of power.
You are moving from a Rappy - bigger size and decent quality. If you try to move to a smaller, twitchier electric, you should go with better quality, so that you are only fighting your skill set, not mechanical woes as well.
A 450XL is reasonably priced. Many of the issues with the older 450x have been fixed.
A 450 SE is a wonderful machine. This will feel more like a nitro machine.
Vince
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for your Imput.
The owner of the TRex purchased it new about 8 months ago, said it was the V2. (is that still the older Version?)
I see on many sites that you can purchase an eCCPM upgrade for the x/xl for about $140.00 +. Will this up this take care of the some issues?
I fly a nice Raptor 50 now, and I was mainly experimenting to see if i like the electrics. The SE's are alittle pricey; but this Trex does have a good motor, and new strong lipo's I was hoping that I could latter buy an SE kit and use this motor & Battery.
The owner never crashed, but he did say it was twitchy.

Thanks for your help.

David

Old 05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

buy a 450 XL - it's got more ball bearings, longer tail boom & blades. the XL flies perfectly fine stock (comparable to an SE) it just wont survive crashes as well.

the issues with the first 2 generation of X (grey/silver plastic) i think there are 3 versions are terminal. almost every part on the XL is improved (that's how drastic the makeover). the NEWEST X (it's black plastic like the XL) isnt that bad supposedly...it's basically an XL with a short boom, blades, and open flybar carrier.

tech-mp.com sells the XL CDE (eccpm) or HDE (mccpm) for 160 for kit only or 235 w/ 430Lmotor and 35amp esc shipped.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Thanks for your Help.

I think Im gonna go ahead and trade for the X, buy a XL kit. That way I have nothing to loose when I put the X into the ground... as we all know is gonna happen sooner or later.
It's Amazing how brave you can get when you've got nothing really to loose.

David