Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Canopy Painting

Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Painting

Going to paint my SE canopy in the coming days and wanted to know if there were any special tricks to keeping the paint on the plastic? Should I follow similar procedures as are reccommended for the Raptor canopies? i.e. a few light coats of adhesion primer, followed by bumper primer then paint/clearcoat?

Thx!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Default RE: Canopy Painting

Well it couldn't hurt, but I have had good luck thus far with simply scuffing the surface with steel wool, cleaning with alcohol and spraying it. Even with all the twisting and bending to get it on and off it has held just fine.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 PM

I used 800 grit sandpaper just to rough up the smooth plastic (or fiberglass). Then used Tamiya's white primer then their lexan type paints. Looked great and no flaking with the canopy flex.

My first attempt was on the original stock white plastic. I took a can of "whatever the hell I could find" and blasted it. It looked half ***** but the paint held just as well as with the priming!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:55 PM

I do pretty much the same but I paint them inside. 800 grit sandpaper and I use FastColor Paint (FaskColor or FastColor). Its water base and I use an airbrush and fade designs mostly. Next body I'll try to draw a spiders web inside the canopy and then do a nice fade over that.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone post pics of cool painted canopies, im buying a new fiberglass and i want a good paint job but i used all my ideas on other canopies. So if u could send me some easy to see but cool looking pics, id appreciate.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 PM

Check out my thread called "Lets see those Trex pictures!"

Brian