Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 How do you install the Futaba 9650 tail servo? >

How do you install the Futaba 9650 tail servo?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

How do you install the Futaba 9650 tail servo?

Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you install the Futaba 9650 tail servo?

Can someone post some pics on how they mounted the 9650? Do you use the rubber grommets and metal inserts? What about the alignment of the control rod to the tail rotor? I would really appreciate some directions.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How do you install the Futaba 9650 tail servo?

I don't have a pic rite now of my 9650 but i can get you one. You do not need the grommets that came with the servo just take some screws and screw it to the plastic servo mount good and tight,then twist the servo until you get almost a straight shot to the tail slider with the push rod. You need to put a ball link on the servo horn DO NOT use Z bend. I also opened up the hole in the hanger on the horizontal for the push rod to move smooth. Try this and see if it helps.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:39 PM

Buggs:

Check the "Trex 450SE or MX400 Pro" thread I believe there are several pictures. Use the stock boom mount with the supplied screws & it mounts perfectly. You DON'T need that guide slot in the Horizontal tail bracket-- It's in the wrong place--I cut mine off. Just a source of potential binding.
And though a ball link would be fine, I surprisingly found the 'Z' link works perfectly. Never had a tail problem after 75+ flights.
Just rotate the servo to about a 45 Degree angle such that the rod is pretty much parallel to the boom. Use one of the inner holes of the servo disk--You'll have more than enough tail control.

Lloyd
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 PM

Buggs:

Check Page 4, post #82 of that thread for some of my photos. There are also more.

Lloyd
Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 PM

Hi Lloyd,

The problem that I am having is that the mounting holes on the servo are huge, and open for that matter, in comparison to the screws that go into the servo braces on the boom. What screws did you use and how did you compensate for the hole size and slot?

Alex
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Use washers. I used the supplied, I think 2mm X 10 mm Allen head or Phillips head screws. It really mounts well.

Carefully cut off (with a Dremel) the brackets you don't need (I didn't) will save you a tiny bit of weight. I find them handy for wire routing.

My pictures aren't the clearest, but check other posts on the thread. It really works well .

Lloyd