Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Fine Tuning

Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine Tuning

Ok guys maybe someone can shed a bit of light on this subject and give me a few pointers. What I'm trying to do is to get my tail from spinning around when doing fast flight going backwards, the tail just won't hold for some odd reason. So thinking that I just needed to tweak a few things I decided to start looking over the helicopter a bit. If I go into non AVCS the helicopter has a very small CCW nose drift. I thought I had it figured out and just needed to set up a bit of trim well I don't understand this but I only have about 1/8 maybe left to play with the swashplate and it's still drifting CCW. If I go to AVCS it holds no problem but I'm thinking I need to fix the drift problem first, if not say so. Now in AVCS it holds fine under all conditions except when trying to scream backwards and the tail just pops and it does a CCW spin not very fast but it does spin. If it would spin all the way around and weather vain I wouldn't be too concerned but I've been caught a few times with it side too and way out of trim.

Here is my set up.

HDE
Running about 2400 HS
I have +- 10 pitch in Normal mode
Idle up I'm using 40/50/100 Pitch curve, takes about 70-75% stick to get a good hover then switch to normal mode and everything stays stable.
Running HS65MG on all servo's
GY 401
Running about 60% gain...I can run all the way up to 85% without tail wag.
In idle up I'm running 0/80/90 and Normal it's 90/80/90

My main question after all of this is should my swashplate only have 1/8" or less of movement left until it binds or should I not be too concerned about this.

I've played around with some of the settings a bit, decided to just give a shout here and see what you all think.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Fine Tuning

Also one other question

Currently I have the servo arm 90 degrees and I slid the servo forward and aft to get full travel equal, then used sub trim to get the helicopter to almost stay centered in a hover. It took a lot of subtrim to get this. I've read two different thoughts on this: One was that you should mechanical trim the helicopter. The other was to mechanical it so that you have even throw both ways with your gyro set at 100 percent throw. In messing around if I do mechanical it to hover then I have to set my gyro to like 50 percent throw or it binds. I also have my servo arm as short as I can make it without it hitting the screw that attaches the arm to the servo.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Fine Tuning

Well I think I've found one of my problems it seemed that my tail rotor shaft had play in it. I took the gearbox apart and put it back together and now it's tight again. Not sure if it fixed my tail not holding but will see.