Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Rex models ??

Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-Rex models ??

Ok , I've looked at the differant models and see the differance. Whats the CDE or HDE ?? Is it just the color ? Also , I did some other reading and they say a Helimax MX400 is a little easier to fly than a T-Rex. I also noticed the Ark X 400 , are the MX 400 and the Ark X 400 BOTH just early T-Rex knock offs ???
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Rex models ??

Just the opposite Trex is the latest.

The same factory probably makes the parts for all, as I understand it, they're mostly interchangeable.

I've only flown the Trex SE which is outstanding, but from what I've read, Trex is apparantly a better flying bird. Then again, it's the Pilot--not the model-- A good pilot can handle any model. Then again the Trex 600 is coming out soon. That should be a real dream.

Then again, in my experience, the bigger the better (should say-More stable & easy to fly). I'm getting back to Nitro's which are really great.

Lloyd
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 PM

I've got a 24 x 60 basement with nothing in it !!! So , I'm going to go electric till I can learn. It seems like the more I read the more confused I get. Alot of info to try to figure out. I do know I don't want to mess with the cheaper electronics in some of the micro heli's I've got a Rotofly but am having major problems with the tail. I am constantly re-adjusting the trim. I tried to adjust the gain , I back ed off a little and it was really tough to control . I tried to give a little extra but its already maxed out from the factory. From what I can tell , if I could just get a little less than 1/8 of a turn it would be great !!

So far this is what I am getting.

T-Rex 450SE is top of the line , but very nimble and tricky to learn on.
T-Rex 450SA 90 % assembled with a 120 degree swash plate
T-Rex 450XL CDE is next down the list having eCCPM 120 degree swashplate but with more plastic
T-Rex 450XL HDE Hiller style collective a little easier to fly
T-Rex 450X Basic collective.
MX 400 and X 400 being similar to the 450X and being the easiest to fly.

By the looks of things the T-rex has the most options. Can a 450X or XL HDE be upgraded easily to a CDE ?? Are most or all the parts interchangable ?? How much harder is it to learn on eCCPM verses standard collective ??These are the kind of answers I need to know.

This is an advanced thank you for any help out there !!! THANK YOU !!!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 AM

Don't get the 450X compared to the XL it's a POS IMO. The 450X is very sloppy in comparison.

The 450XL HDE and the 450XL CDE fly the same, they are almost the same heli. Different swash plate, different servo tray and different servo pushrods. The HDE uses 1 servo for collective and 1 for each cyclic axis. The CDE uses 3 servos at the same time(CCPM) to do all 3 axis.

I prefer the HDE because it's easier to setup IMO and it's almost identical to my Raptor 50. I also found out that anything past hovering and basic forward flight required me to change everything from the swash up to metal to get a heli that would fly smooth and consistent.

The only real downside to the SE is that the servo gears will strip if the rotor blades touch anything since the pushrods directly connect the swash to the servo. Otherwise I think it's a better machine.

None of these small electrics are easy to fly compared to larger helis.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 AM

, I'd like to go gas but I know most of my flying or at least practice will end up being inside. I'vr got a little fixed pitch at the moment , Rotofly, and that litttle thing is tough !! The worst trouble is there is not enough adjustment in the gain and as the motors warm up and the battery goes down you have to constantly adjust the trim.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 AM

All the models you listed are almost identical and fly the same with the exception of the 450X. I don't recommend getting the 450X as it's version 2 of the 450 whereas all the others are version 3. Many improvements have been made in version 3.

If your thinking about sticking with it, go ahead and get the SE. I would also recommend buying the kit and not a pre-built. The things you learn while building will help tremendously when it comes time for repairs.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 AM

Scott,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with it , the more I fly the more I want to fly. Its frustrating though , I might take my little one to my LHS and see how well the Heli guy does on it. I just want to know If its all me or if this thing is really squirly. I do screw up on G3 but its constant < the types of mistakes> , with this thing its not. The SE is really nice but I think if I want one in the near future it will be the XL . If they fly very similar it will be the CDE. Its nice though if you get the HDE the CCPM set up is only like a 25.00 upgrade. I was looking at the Helimax because they say its a little more tame then the T-Rex but I don't want to be stuck mail ordering everything and the MX400 CCPM upgrade is 50.00!! I also read the T-Rex can be tuned down a little so I'm thinking the T-Rex and the more I read it looks like the T-Rex parts are actually a little cheaper. I do like building my own stuff vs ARF so I don't mind saving a little money and I get to learn where all the parts are in this thing.

Andy
Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

I still get the impression that you think these are different models. For the most part they are identical. They can all be "tuned down", they all use mostly the same parts and are interchangable, and they all fly the same depending on how they're setup. The big difference between HDE and CDE is the setup. The HDE is much easier to setup in the radio but the CDE helps by reducing play in the extra linkages.

The XL HDE is a fine model and it's the one I have (including a lot of upgrades).
Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 PM

The XL HDE is a fine model and it's the one I have (including a lot of upgrades).
Same here. Bone stock the HDE will hover and do forward flight just fine. The CDE offers no improvement here IMO. It's just a matter of mechanical or electronic mixing. The metal head parts are nice and help once you get past the basics.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM

I'm getting the part that they are the same basic frame and parts are all pretty much interchangable. I'm just trying to find out as much as possible before buying. I'm not going to do anything fancy for a while so I guess either the XL HDE or the CDE would be fine.

What type of upgrades do you have on the HDE ???
Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the info , I'll be buying in a few weeks and just want to learn all I can about it before I buy.

Andy
Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 PM

As a newbie I have flown 5 different models of electric helis this is what I saw, I stared on a Walkera 04 for a beginner it is very good to learn to fly, but not very stable, after that I got a
Walkera 36 after many hours of adj and few upgrades it flew very nice put the electronics are real bad, then I got a DX6 and a T-REX 450-CDE it was way overrated as far as quality and it was too sloppy in the linkage and made it unstable in hover and way fast on the controls for a beginner even after slowing it down I did not like it at all ! so i tyred my Budd's T-rex 450-HDE the same thing, after that I was discourage and sold all my helis and was looking at the
T-REX SE but it was too much $, then I saw a 3DX-450-PRO the price was good, now I have been flying it for a month now, and I TOTLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! IT FLYS GREAT!!!!!! IT HAS, ME FALLING IN LOVE WITH FLYING HELI
Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 PM

Have the T-Rex 450X, does anyone have the suggested settings using the Futaba T6EXHP 6 Channel Transmitter ?? Sequence of starting the unit up etc, any info greatly appreciated, Tnx WARREN .<>..

Realize this model is older but hoped it was abit more stable than the Blade CP...<>..