Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Radio Gear Possessed... Help!!!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Radio Gear Possessed... Help!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 PM
duanej_7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Gear Possessed... Help!!!

I bought a 450 SE, and was as giddy as a school girl as I went out to fly. I started to range test it, so I turned on the TX (with throttle not quite all the way down, so ESC shouldn't have been armed) then plugged up the bird. I took two or three steps away from my truck with the heli in hand and tx on tailgate. It spooled up in my hand and the landing did a little damage. A couple of servos and main gear later, I get it back together.
This time I have been trying to find a ghost. My servos go crazy for no reason. I have tried 3 different receivers out of models that have no problem. I have bypassed ESC and motor. Tried one or two servos.... Nothing works. I am getting very upset with my pile of no-flying money. I need help.

Rex 450 SE
BL35G ESC
430L 4050Kv motor
3 Hitec HS 55's
Futaba S9650 on the tail
GY 401
Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio Gear Possessed... Help!!!

First, check the antenna. Route it away from any carbon fiber.
Carbon fiber is conductive, and will cause glitches if it contacts or is in close proximity to the antenna.

Next check to make sure the crystal in the RX is seated properly.

Move the Reciever away from the motor and ESC. Both of which emit strong RF.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
duanej_7

Thanks,

I tried all this and still getting bad glitches. It is beating me.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
JPKII

Are you using an external BEC or any type of external battery voltage monitor? I can only speak directly about the voltage monitor. On my Rap 60 I had an external VM plugged in and it was causing all kinds of noise\glitching. It was mounted away from everything and it still caused problems. I unplugged it and everything is good.

What type of radio gear? Channel?

On all my birds I use the Deans base loaded antenna. But the antenna wire coming from the receiver I always wrap in fuel tubing then wire tie the tubing to the frame. Knock-on-wood, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Joe
Old 08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
bdavison

I was going to say, it might be time to put a filter on it.

Hard to tell without physically looking at it.
Are you sure the tx and rx are on the same channel.
Are they compatible.

What TX are you using?
Is it in PPM or PCM mode?
If its a DX6, did you bind the RX?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:46 PM
RcFlyer06
My Feedback: (4)

What about position of rx and servo wires???
Try to make sure servo wires are as far away from the ESC and motor as possible, as well as the antenna. Also, does the motor glitch too? May want to try a ferrite ring (works wonders on my Rex). Is the rx contacting the frame? I think that MIGHT cause glitches, make sure you have some double sided tape to pad it. Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Palomino

Do you have a ferrite filter in your heli??
Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Motions

This happened to me last week when a friend gave me his Trex to setup and it sounds exactly what your experiencing.
Come to find out he installed a dual conversion crystal instead of single conversion. It had me scratching my head until he told me about the crystal.

It will act very much like it's working properly. I set up the entire model with the wrong crystal with no problem. Range check looked ok but when I did a test hover, it went in.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM
duanej_7

Nothing is working. Receiver is not even mounted on the bird anymore. I have the wires laid out on the table. Receivers I am trying all came out of models that were flying with no problem. My tx is a JR8103 with PPM receiver. I don't have access to a PCM, or I would be trying that.

I am unfamiliar with some of this,,, what ferrite ring or filter are you talking about?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:23 AM
RcFlyer06
My Feedback: (4)

Well if your having troubles away from your heli then a ferrite wring probably wouldn't help. Did you check Motion's solution??? What about location? Are you near other electronic things are powerful telephone poles??? It'll sound odd but see if you can't go out somewhere and test the stuff, make sure it's not your room/house. I know I get a good amount of interference in my room because of the computers.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
bdavison

Something is seriously wrong there if its glitching outside of the heli with it spread out on a table.
Ok...

Start unplugging each servo one at a time, and work your way down, including unplugging the gyro.
If you get to one, that once unplugged, the glitching goes away....you know what part is causing it.

If that doesnt work....Its time to get that TX checked out. Send it to Radio South for a tune-up.