Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Just how loose should ball links be? >

Just how loose should ball links be?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Just how loose should ball links be?

Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how loose should ball links be?

I've searched around a bit but I can't find a simple description of how tight is too tight for ball links...
I just finished assembling by T-Rex 450 XL and my previous helo is a Blade CP so I'm not too up on the intricacies of assembly. The whole rotor head assembly as well as the tail rotor pitch control move smoothly without binding on my T-Rex but they're nowhere near loose enough to droop under the weight of the blades. On my Blade CP the weight of the blades and the paddles is enough to move the rotor head linkages, should I be doing something to loosen up the T-Rex's linkages to behave the same?
It didn't say anything in the manual about leaving the ball links loose enough to rotate when screwing them into place but I'm wondering now whether that's how it's supposed to be? That is, all the balls in the ball links are presently held rigidly in place, maybe that's now the way to do it?
Suggestions would be appreciated. I've seen links to Finless' build videos, but they're a little large to get at wihtout arousing my IT department's suspicions
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM

Default RE: Just how loose should ball links be?

check out the finless vids at home if the IT dept. monitors data transmisions.very,very informative.these will give you more info than you could imagine.alot easier than trying to explain it.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can place a penny on the paddle and have the paddle stay, then your links are too tight. It should tip and drop the penny.
Vince
Old 09-26-2006, 03:07 PM

I found when i put my T-Rex together, i got a bit of locktight on the screws that hold the flybar seesaw bit in place. This was stiffining mine up heaps. I took it all off and cleaned it up and then put a little lube in there and mine is now super smooth and loose...

You want the ball's to be screwed in tightly so they dont fall out! the Ball Link should go over the ball with a slight gap to allow free movment...

Also if the ball links are too tight, you will want to get yourself a Ball link sizing tool to free them up.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:40 PM

Finless suggests tapping near the link with your finger, if the link starts to fall, it's fine.

Don
Old 09-27-2006, 02:01 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies, looks like I need to secure a sizing tool and get to work on the ball links.