Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Is the Trex 450x good ? >

Is the Trex 450x good ?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Is the Trex 450x good ?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Trex 450x good ?

I am looking at buying a trex 450x silver frame kit. I need to know how well it does light duty flight like hovering, slow to medium speed flight, no extreme 3D yet, maybe a few years down the course. Do the 100mm long batteries fit ok ? I suppose the motor/esc combo will be the 430L and 25a or 35a ESC. And should I get servos that are better than S75 ?
I don't see a lot about the 450X, the 450XL with yellow canopy seems to be the most popular. I like the silver frame because the contrast is low enough to see all the components. The black frames seem to make it hard to see inside.
Thanks for any help.

Stableblade
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the Trex 450x good ?

Are you talking about the current 450X or the old, "pre-XL" 450X?
A link to the product would help.

If it is the new 450X, then you are in good shape. If it is the older 450X it will take some work to get all the linkages working friction free and slop free. Both will handle anything from hovering to hard core 3D. Although on the 3D side, both would benefit from blinged out heads.
If I were buying, I would not get the 25A ESC. The 35A ESC leaves more room for growth.
Skip the S75 servos. They are reported to be fragile and have poor centering.
There are 2 servo choices that are most popular. Hitec HS65 and Hitec HS56. Plan on 3 of these for the cyclic.
For the tail, you can use a 4th of the same, or if your budget allows, the Futaba 9650 ditigal servo is great. You are getting the Futaba GY401 gyro, right?
I am not sure on the battery fit. I do know that the ThunderPower 3s 2100mAh batteries flit perfectly.
Vince
Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 AM

it is good but it is the older version you should get the yellow version as it has better parts, and also is design for ppcm so the performance is much better i have it and it works great, the servos i use are the s75 that come with the spektrum they work good enough but if uou want you can upgrade to hitech 65. use motor 430lf and 35 amp speed control and for a very good flight a futuba gyro 240 or 401
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 PM

I see the 450X I am looking at is mechanical mixing. Ok for now, I have just started into forward flight and need something that will fly well at low and mid speed, able to turn very quickly.
This little dragonfly 4 I have been learning on don't do so well at fff. It has a terrible tendancy to just stop in it's track if it hits a 3mph wind or turb bubble. And it is like flying a 10 foot pendulum. The tail looses authority mid turn and I get lots of recovery practice, getting good at that though !
I also have a Dragonfly 36 which weighs about 150g lighter than the Trex's all up, easier on batteries. I need long flights to learn. I don't trust that Shogun type head at 3k rpm, but that is down the road for me. You should get better blade efficiency at a higher rpm/lower angle because profile lift is more efficient than the impact lift that lower headspead/higher pitch depends on. I really don't know how good the DF36 is but the 3D people aren't raving about it. My biggest gripe and reason for searching is that it won't hold the 2200mah 100mm long batteries. These batteries now have more mah than the 1800's I have to use but are now weighing in about the same or even less than the 1800's.
Anyway, here is the link to what I am looking at :

http://www.helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html

Thanx for the help

Stableblade