Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Jr Gyro with Spektrum servos? >

Jr Gyro with Spektrum servos?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Jr Gyro with Spektrum servos?

Old 10-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jr Gyro with Spektrum servos?

Hi I have a really beginner question here. I want the most precise flight for a trex 450sa, but I can't afford all of the things recommended for presicion. Can I use the JR G500T Tail Lock Gyro with Spektrum reciever, servos, and transmitter? Or should i just stick with the Laign Gyro?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Jr Gyro with Spektrum servos?

I can't speak to the JR gyro, but I can speak to the servos that come with the Spektrum.

They are fine for learning to hover, but will make the job harder. They don't center really well, and are quite weak. I plan on using them in a little foamy that I have, but (IMHO) they are inadequate to the job of moderate sport flying on the T-Rex.

It's not so noticeable in forward flight, but it's VERY noticeable in a hover. Small cyclic and collective corrections will be very "sticky". You can get started with them, but they will make your heli fly a bit herky-jerky; be aware.

I use HS-65HBs on cyclic and collective, and a JR sub-micro digital on the tail. This combo works very well.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Yah, I am probobly going with the precision setup for the Trex 450sa which is the Jr tail lock ring gyro, along with JR DS285 Hi Speed Micro Servo, and 3 JR 4-537 Servos, and the Jr R770 Reciever. Is that a good setup? Also is the R770 reciever any good?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM

Not only do you want precision, but also light weight in the T-Rex. Having said that and using almost exclusively JR radio equipment I suggest the following setup which has been fantastic for me.

Futaba GY401 gyro(very light weight and holds great. No problem using JR Tx with it)
Futaba 9251 tail servo(very fast servo and holds very well with the GY401)
JR DS285 digital servos for cyclic and pitch.
JR R770 Rx

The only difference in my setup is that I have the DS281 servos. They are previous model of the DS285.

You can’t use the JR 537 servos in the T-Rex. Not only are they far too large to fit, but each servo weighs as much as 3 DS285 servos.

You can try a JR DS285 on the tail, but it may not be fast enough in the long run. The tail servo needs to be fast more than it needs to be powerful unlike the cyclic and pitch servos.

The JR gyro may work just fine, but make sure it is light weight or comparable in weight to the GY401. You also will be able to get more support from forum users with the Futaba gyro since it is so much more popular.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:55 AM

Should I just get the Futuba radio transmitter or stay with the Jr radio?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Radio choice is up to you of course. I can say however, that there are lot better choices out there for radios in comparison to the Spektrum. It has limited features, but is near bullet proof as far interference is concerned. I have not had a single glitch on my helis running PCM though and most running PCM have not either. The JR 770 Rx is small, light and PCM.

Futaba has a similar Rx that is PCM, the R148DP. However, I don't think you can get it with their heli radios like you can the R770 from JR.

For low cost systems the JR 6102 is great, the 7202 is even better and the 8103 or 9303 are terrific. Futaba has comparable systems as well in cost and features. However, I don't think Futaba has any micro digital servos. The 9650 servo for the tail is a mini servo and won't fit in the T-Rex other than on the tail boom.

Correction to my previous statement, the 9251 servo is too big for T-Rex, it was the 9650 I was thinking of. Sorry about that.

Just remember that any radio system you get will need micro servos for the collective and cyclic, and mini or micro for the tail. I would not get a mini servo for the tail unless you get the Futaba 9650.

There's no reason not to get a JR radio system and the Futaba gyro and tail servo. They work just fine together. I have it in my T-Rex and my Raptor 50.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM

I can't find that Futaba tail servo anywhere online. Where can I get it?

Also are these good products?

R146IP Mini PCM Receiver, FUTL0601
S3103 Micro Mini Servos

Thanks!

One mroe question is Fm ok to use or is worse compare to PCM?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 AM

Specs for the 9650 can be found here:
[link]http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digitalservos.html[/link]

Here's a link to purchase it from Heli Proz:
[link]http://www4.mailordercentral.com/heliproz/prodinfo.asp?number=151180[/link]

R146IP Mini PCM Receiver, FUTL0601 Should be good. it's small, light and PCM.

S3103 Micro Mini Servos Some people have used them with good results. If I was going with analog servos it would likely be the Hitec HS65's though. Still I prefer digital.

FM is okay, but for helis IMO PCM is better and at only a few bucks more it is worth it. PCM will reduce the chances you will have glitching and electric helis, especially small ones, are prone to glitches.