Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trex 600 ALU or CF? >

Trex 600 ALU or CF?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex 600 ALU or CF?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex 600 ALU or CF?

So which is best ALU or CF?

Plan to get a small digital camera airbourne with this one. Upgrading from Walkera 22e's which I can handle ok.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Trex 600 ALU or CF?

CF, won't bend it's self in the event of a crash. Either it breaks or it doesn't.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:34 AM

Thought bending back would be better than smashing.

What kind of impact can CF withstand?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:08 PM

I would not want to use a frame that has been bent and then bent back (assuming you could even get it straight). It creates weak spots in the metal.

I don't think it's likely you will damage the CF frame in a crash. You'd have to go down at a real wierd angle and at a very fast speed to snap it i'd wager. Carbon fibre is incredibly strong. The frame it's self does not appear to have any "weak" spots in it's design. I don't think breaking the frame is your main concern, rather, i'd worry about the rest of the helicopter!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: credence

I don't think breaking the frame is your main concern, rather, i'd worry about the rest of the helicopter!
So with that in mind, is there any point in getting the CF version as the ali frame will be equally difficult to bend and it'll always be blades, flybar, feather shaft, landing skids, etc. that get broken first...

I want to upgrade to Trex600 but I can't justify the extra cost of the CF version.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 AM

We have a guy here flying the aluminum version and I can't really tell the difference between the two from 10 feet away. His flys just like ours. If he wants to spend the xtra money he can buy a CF frame and put it on next time. If someone has an CF frame to start with, they can go get an aluminum one if they are low on cash after a bad wreck...
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM

I wanted to buy the AL version but it was out of stock at Rc-Expert in Hong Kong, So I got the CF. My buddy bought the AL version from Helihobby.
The AL frame is much stiffer with musch less flex, I tested this with both helis side by side. As far as weight difference, I would say it is negligible.
The blades and battery in my kit ended up being heavier than his kit and ofset any difference in weight. CF version is cool looking, but is it worth the extra cash??
I was so eager to fly my new heli since I got that I decided to go flying in a sport field at night after work, the main field lights were off but there was one big sodium lamp on a 40 foot pole. I dont see too good at night so as soon as a gust of wind came and made that bad boy climb and drift out of the beam of light from the lampost thats when the crashing started. My buddy can see much better and yelled what the hell are you doing, because he could see it, all I saw was the battery indicator lights going towards the ground. In retrospect the whole outing was a bad idea. Tail boom bent at 90 degree angle, all the tail mechanics finished as well as main blades, flybar, one stripped servo, both SF miging arms, and stripped main gear. everything else was ok. No frame damege at all. I wonder if the AL version would fair the same, my guess would be yes.
If you are thinking of upgrading to the T-Rex 600 let me tell you my impressions of it. Ive owned a dragonfly fixed pitch and a walkera 36. Most of the time I was fighting just to keep the thing in the air. My first flight with the trex 600, it was so stable and behaved so well that I thought I was a champ. It really just stays where you put it and responds very well. Compared to this helicopter the other ones were complete crap.
here's a pic and ill try to get some video up soon.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79679.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	542067  
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM

There won't be any real performance difference between the CF and ALU version, the only difference is in crash resistance. Aluminum DOES bend, trust me, I know from personal experience! The Aluminum frame on my X-400 felt nearly indestructable when I was assembling it. It was thick metal, and the helicopter is pretty light, I would have never thought the helicopter could pack enough inertia to bend the frame in a crash. Well, guess what, it did, incredibly so, actually. Totally bent all out of shape. Bearings came unaligned, the battery tray was totally munched. And this is from a 500 gram helicopter. The T-rex 600 is more than twice as heavy, and the frame isn't that much thicker than on the X-400, it's just bigger.

Ultimately, a carbon fibre frame is simply more likely to survive a crash unscathed. Even a slight bend in the aluminum will create massive resistance on the bearing blocks where the main shaft is and make your life a living hell since theres 3 bearings supporting it.

I've never liked aluminum frames, and never will. They sound nice on paper, but after your first bad crash, you'll probably hate it for the remainder of your helicopters life.

Theres a good reason almost all top end helicopters are built using Carbon Fibre for the frames. [8D]
Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM

I guess my crash supports credence's claim, no frame damage and no bending or deformation of the CF frame. Just the thought of misaligned or binding bearings makes me shiver.
How would a carbon fiber tail boom behave, would it be less likely to break in a crash?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Not really. Because the tail boom is long, and often, the blades strike it in a crash, not even carbon fibre will stand up to it. I've seen blade strikes rip holes in CF tails. It won't bend and warp the shaft like metal would, but it'd most likely snap simply because the helicopter usually does the ol twirly dance when it hits the ground unexpectedly, tearing up the boom.

Although, i'd still put my money on a CF boom surviving over the aluminum boom, but I don't think it's such a huge upgrade as to justify the purchase of one, unless you just like the way it looks.
Majority of crashes on bigger helis end up with a broken tail, it's a fragile part of the helicopter and one of the most likely to receive damage with the exception of the rotorhead.