Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 My t-rex has epilepsy. >

My t-rex has epilepsy.

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

My t-rex has epilepsy.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My t-rex has epilepsy.

This has been going on for months now (and has caused 3 crashes).
It flys fine then powers off for a split second, then all the servos seem to go to random places before everything goes back to normal. all this happens in less than half a second, but that's plenty long enough for it to get into a situation that my noob brain can't save it from.

I thought it was interference so I replaced the ferrite ring on the esc signal cable, then I tried coating the tail belt with 2B pencil lead in case it was causing static buildup but it's still glitching. tried putting the RX aerial in fuel hose where ever it may be touching carbon fiber, Still no joy

This happens any time ( I can't MAKE it glitch, It doesn't seem to matter if it's just hovering or if I test the climb out over and over again )

I'm Wondering if I may be trying to drag to much juice threw the esc and its spitting out its dummy ?

Here is a list of the hardware I'm using ( Don't giggle at it, it was all I could afford at the time)

RX = Futaba R136F. its a boggo basic ppm Receiver.
ESC =Align RCE BL25G.
Motor =Align 430l 3550kv. I've got the 13t pinion on it
Gyro = Futaba G190, this is just a low spec rates only gyro.
Cyclic servos = hi-tec HS 55's.
Tail servo = hi-tec HS 56 HB.
li-poly = dualsky 1800mAh 20c / align 1800 or 1900mAh.
blades = SAB 305mm.

I think the first step may be to replace the ESC with the 35a version, but as that will cost around 50 quid I'd prefer to know what you all think first.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Default RE: My t-rex has epilepsy.

wow thats sounds like some serious glitch, try taking the esc away from the rx, ift that dosent work get a dx6 i had serious gltches too nothing i did helped so a dx6 upgrade saved me so much parts money
Old 10-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Search glitch in this forum... PPM rx would prolly solve it but have to work on the elec helis and interference...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 PM

What TX do you have? I had the same issues with my OPtic 6, discoved that the antenna mount was loose, I opened it up, tightend the screws on the antenna holder, issue resolved
Old 10-17-2006, 05:15 PM

I use a Futaba 6ex-pcm, but I don't think the TX is the problem though as I use it on most of the fleet. today I got a PCM Futaba R146IP reciver to replace the PPM Futaba R136F I have been using. I really hope this solves the glitching.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 PM

You certainly do have interference problems. Check out the thread by Mariolucci re loss of control of his heli. There's a multitude of suggestions which should help.

Lloyd
Old 10-18-2006, 02:38 AM

Have you checked for a short some where, from your description it sounds like the reciever could be losing power for an instant, then when it comes back on the servos jump (like they sometimes do when you start a PPM reciever) by then your to far out to correct. Thats my only guess, but let us know what you find.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 AM

I have an aplus 400 since 2 weeks () ...and, from time to time [:@][&:][:'(] of a glitch happens. Anything to loose control, but, just enought to loose confidence and scratch my head to find it. One question: what kind of battery connector are you using ? Mine are tamiya...and those are the problem. They tend to become loose easily. i just tightened (pry) them up, and: MAGIC...it' s gone.

OR...you could have a cold joint in the bec circuit ...or even a short circuit ...in the bec too... that last (short-circ) happened with the aplus the first time i powered it up; a corner of the heatsink (in the speed controller) had made a little incision in the red wire of the bec output, and it was shorting only when pressure from the velcro band was applied (another head-scracher)...just opened the speed control and rounded that heatsink corner with a file and put a heat-shrink tubing "patch"on the sick wire.

Try to look at them. It could do the trick.

Alain.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 PM

hdoc :- OK I'll have a look, what section is the thread in?

jared-2006 :- Well, If the glitch is still there when I get around to swapping the RX over the ESC is next on the list to swap

The1 2 thrust :- I started out using the 3.5mm align banana plugs, but now use deans.

The Helli was fine for the first 4 months then the last couple Its been slowly getting worse.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 PM

Reman:
It's in the Trex grop. Still on P 1.

Lloyd
Old 10-19-2006, 07:14 AM

Use PCM and mount the Rx and ESC as far apart as possible. This will likely solve your problem. I have my CC35 ESC mounted on the front of the servo tray and the JR 770 PCM Rx at the back of the chassis under the gyro. I've never had a single glitch. Ahh I also have a ferrite ring in the ESC lead right at the Rx.

Another thing to consider is running your motor wires on the opposite side of the chassis from the servo leads.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM

I put the R146ip on the Rex 2 nights ago (Also new crystals as I didn't know at the time your meant to change 'um after big crashes ) and only had chance to test it half on hour ago but the heli didn't glitch once.

I can't say that the gremlins are gone for good yet as it was only one pack, flying low in the garden, ( Way to windy to go to a field ) but the last RX would glitch at that range and height after about 30 to 60 seconds.

I'll reply on here after a bit more stick time hopefully to confirm the problem well and truly sorted.

And thanks for all the help.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 PM

Glad it helped.... you know it may cost more for the Furtaba PPM IP RX but it usually solves the problems without any further effort...

Other things I did that may have helped (but after the IP there was NO glitching)... I did make sure I have my RX in the bacl battery top front and ESC low front... esc wires on one side and servo wires on the other...

Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Well, still glitching ?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 PM

I have to wait for the 20mph gusty wind to drop off before I do any more testing.
The MET office website says its ether Monday or Wednesday before it'll get down to 10mph,
Then it all depends on if the crappy company I work for loads me right up with work for the week.

[sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif][sm=sad_smile.gif]
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM

2 more packs through the t-rex. Still haven't seen a glitch.

(Now the real problems seem to have run out I better think up some excuses for the still frequent crashes).
Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 AM

hahahahhahha If you find "new" excuses.........tell me.....i could use them if you dont mind . !
Old 10-28-2006, 08:29 PM

I find excuses are best if they sound so technical that people don't think they would understand the problem even if you drew them diagrams, Baffling them with bull sh*t is good. Be sure to use phrases like,

RF feedback,
Tesler effect,
Van de graph noise,
Negative blockage,
Passive frequency lock,
RX loop back,
Gyro stutter,
Momentary Lithium reversal,
Rotor static buildup,
Fly bar creep,
Linear wire oxidation,
Background RF washout,

Any of these should make nonheli flyer's eyes glaze over and the subject changed promptly.

Can anyone think of more "plausible" sounding excuses ?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 AM

Sorry I haven't got any excuses for ya.

I will say that PCM is an easy fix for electric helis. Some people say we have only masked the problem and that now we risk lockout, from the Rx going into failsafe. I have never had a PCM Rx go into failsafe other than in testing, but certainly have had my share of glithes using FM. Though never a glitch using JR equipment FM(PPM) or PCM.

Glad to hear you have apparently resolved your glitches. Makes flying less nerve racking.