Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part >

put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part

Old 10-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part

Hey guys, I got my first Trex today, an XL HDE. The instructions show putting threadlock on pretty much everything, so I put it on the ball links on the mixer arms and on the screw that holds the mixer arm to the center hub. Then I watched a video (elsewhere) on construction that says do NOT put threadlock on plastic. So my question is...did I ruin these parts? Should I go ahead and order replacements?

I feel like such a newb!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part

It happens the instructions are a joke. They are very poorly written and even more poorly translated.

If you used the Align threadlocker it might be okay. Inspect it yourself carefully and then decide if the parts need to be replaced. I suggest waiting until the threadlocker is completely cured and then disassemble the parts to check them out.

If you decide to replace the parts go ahead and get the metal replacements. They are far better. I started with the XL HDE as well and found that the heli tracked very poorly and 3 seperate times I broke plastic parts while flying, hard flying but still. None of the broken parts caused a crash, they were all found during post flight inspection. After replacing everything from the swash up with metal(except the main blade grips) and going to carbon fiber blades it's like a different heli. It's quite precise and much easier to fly 3D now. Hovering and basic forward flight would not benefit much if any from the upgrade parts.

Spend as much time as you can reading about the problems and fixes for the T-Rex so you can incorporate them into the build process. It will likely save you some headaches down the road.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: put threadlock on plastic...did I ruin the part

Blue locktite is very aggressive towards many plastics, some it doesnt effect at all but you have to understand, locktite needs metal to metal and the absence of air to cure so it may not cure at all anyways.