Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Best Radio for TREX 450 SE >

Best Radio for TREX 450 SE

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Best Radio for TREX 450 SE

Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Radio for TREX 450 SE

I am building a new TREX 450 SE from scratch. Which radio shoud I get the Futaba 9CHP or JR 9303? I will get the GY401, and Futaba 9650 tail servo. I will do some 3 D flying with the TREX, and used it for an airpalne. Any good advice is welcome!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Radio for TREX 450 SE

We use a lot of Futaba 9C transmitters. We have more in our group now that when this picture was taken.

The 9C will do everything you want.

That said, I hear a lot of good about the JR as well.
Vince
Old 10-27-2006, 04:34 PM

If you can wait until Christmas, think about getting the spectrum DX-7. For best performance in your SE use the AR-6000 receiver. I would not get the DX-6 unless your going to install the rf section in a JR6102 Tx. I can no longer recommend any 72mhz radios. They are great in features but are now old technology.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:35 AM

7chp
Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 AM

Either radio is very nice. Go to the LHS and hold them. See which radio feels the best to you and look at the programming. IMO JR is easier to program. In the end I don't think you could go wrong with either.

The DX-7 looks like it has some promise. The DX-6 was kind of a joke IMO. Most likely I will wait until and 8 or 9 channel Spektrum comes out to consider buying 1 though. Since I really like my JR 8103 and have no problems with it I can't really justify replacing it anyway.

No matter what radio you pick make sure it has at least 5 point pitch and throttle curves, dual rate for rudder/tail rotor and is the heli version. The airplane versions have a ratchet on the throttle that needs to be removed for helis and once you use it without the ratchet you won't want to use anything else I bet.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 AM

What is everybody using the extra channels for. (I just ordered my DX7, hope to have it buy mid December). As far as I can tell there is throttle/main pitch, tail pitch, and 3 servos (5 ch's). What are you guys doing with the other 4? Or are you just getting the additional channels cause you need to to get the higher end features.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Mostly we just need/want the aditional features of the higher end radios. All the mixing options are really nice to have.

It's nice to have D/R for the rudder/tail rotor and in the past that was not available on 6 channel radios, not sure if it is now or not. On the heli the switch is used to switch between HH and normal mode on the gyro. course most of us fly only in HH mode.