Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Need help with charging two LIPO at once... >

Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Old 10-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Thanks in advance for reading lengthy post...

Looking to charge two lipos at once. I have TP 1350's (BCP) and the new 2200's (for the Rex). I realize of course that you can only charge like batteries but have questons on how to do so without killing $400 worth of battery equipment in the learning process...

The Triton says it will charge up to 4 lipo / lion cells I'm assuming that this is in parallel... so would I be able to make a harness something like [link=http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLAEC307]http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLAEC307[/link] and charge two packs at once or since it will only recognize up to 4 cells will this not be possible.

Also I have the TP-210 and the adapter so I can plug two batteries into it at once... I read that if you are going to charge two packs (in parallel ??) that you HAVE to have them setup to a balancer doue to voltage differences in the individual packs (as opposed to cells).

Anyway it looks to me that I would want to make a Deans harness in parallel as above and set the Triton to the max LIPO charge rate of 2500 mah (combined pack would be 4400 for example so its less than the new "1C" of the combined packs)... and that should do the trick... sound right ???

Also since the Triton wont go over 2500 mah and the 2200's are already charging at close to 1C I really wont gain a whole bunch from using the Triton to charge the larger batteries ???

If anyone has any resources that I can read I would appreciate the link, hate to ask questions that have probably been answered elsewhere but there seems t be very little documentation out there to maximize charging potential !!!

Thanks !!!!

Wally
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 AM

Default RE: Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Its simple and it will cost you a mere 250 dollars. Alot less than the 400 limit you mentioned.

- Get a Thunderpower TP-1010C charger

- Get their TP-205 balancer.

With this combo you can do the batteries in 20 mins or less. With that combo the balancer ties into the battery as well as the charger. So its a big loop. With this you can charge and prolite cell or the extreme cells at 3C. That means you can do two packs in 40-45 mins. You can't do one pack at 1C in that time so its the same deal as doing two cells at 1C with two chargers, but with one instead as opposed to the two. And if you just want to get one flight it before dark, all you need is 20 mins to charge.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:15 PM

2 FMA direct Cellpro 4S chargers. $140. Charge up to 4S at 3A. I don't think the $400 is his limit, it's his total equipment cost. But you have more money to spare, get 4 and charge 4 at a time. $280. No external blanacer, variable charging current (at .25A increments) with a nice screen with all relevant info. And if you get their pig tail, you can make your own adapter for cheap. I made some to charge 2 of my 2S packs at the same time. for 3S since I have DN power lipos, they came with an extension which I cut up and made into an adapter. IMO, I think they're the best bang for your buck.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM

I have used that charger in the shop. It worked great for the price. Even with the adapter board which most need since TP is so popular, it is still a good price. If you are looking for a single charger its one of the best for the price. If you get into larger batteries than 4 cells (T-Rex 600 or similar model you are in a jam with the cell pro charger, which stops at 4S.) Thats where the 1010C comes in handy for future expansion. Thats alwasys something to concider. Also having 4 chargers and all those wires can be combersome and annoying. That can be a problem,/headache to some.

Since he is using the TP batteries already the cell pro costs as follows.

Charger $70
Adapter board $15

Total = $85

$85 x 3 (chargers needed to do three batts in 1 hr) = $255

Thunder power setup = 200 (charger)
50 (balancer)
250 Total

So you are only saving $5 with thunderpowers setup and saving the headache of all those wires. Plus the charger will do any size lithium on the market. (handy for the possible future ect.) Its about exact so price isnt the issue. It boils down to opinion.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Good comparison. Now that you have your options, weigh it according to your set up and pick one!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Ahead of the game, already have the tp-210 (got in case I get 600 Rex) so I guess the 1010 is the way to go. Thanks.