Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Motor/ESC connectors >

Motor/ESC connectors

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Motor/ESC connectors

Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/ESC connectors

I'm working on a T-Rex 450SA. This is the very first electric anything that I've put together, and I have an embarrassingly simple question. How do you solder the connectors on the Align 430L? The connectors that are included with the motor look like banana plugs, but they are solid on the end that would attach to the leads from the motor. There's a hollow, or concave pocket instead of a pass-thru for the lead. Do you just pool the solder in the pocket, and then place the lead in the pool of molten lead? There are also some tube-type connectors included, but it appears in the instructions for the heli, that they aren't used. It does look like they use the tube connectors on the Align 35A ESC. I just re-read what I'm about to post, and boy...do I look like a noob. Lots of glow experience, but no heli, or electric. I guess I can't learn any younger.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 10-29-2006, 12:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Motor/ESC connectors

This depends much on your bullet connectors. Theres also a few ways of doing it.

First you want to tin the terminating end of each wire. If you're unfamiliar with soldering, tinning is the process of applying solder and allowing it to saturate to the open wire strands, to aid in joining pieces together later on. You should twist and bundle all strands together first before tinning, though.

Once the solder on each wire end has cooled, place the tinned piece of wire lead into the "open, concave" part of the bullet connector. With the wires tinned lead being held inside the hole, use your soldering iron to heat up the bullet connector it's self. The heat will transfer to the tinned lead, and the solder on the lead will spread out inside the connector, forming your joint. Some people will also use this same method, only they'll also fill the bullet connectors open end up with solder, then heat the connector up and push the wire in once the solder is liquified. This is a bit trickier and doesn't always work as good, but it can be done.

Some bullet connectors have a small hole on the side that lets you see into the concave hole, these connectors are easier to work with.
(Like these)
http://www.greatnorthernhobbies.com/...20L/image1.jpg

Simply stick your wire into the hole as before, now feed a piece of solder into the side hole, and heat up the bullet connector. The heat will melt the solder and draw the solder into the connector, and all around and through the wire strands. This forms the best possible bond.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:38 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Motor/ESC connectors

If you are building your first TRex, you need to check out the Finless Bob construction videos at www.helifreak.com. The specific video on soldering connectors is located at: http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...bullets101.wmv