Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 can metal head parts be used in 450XL head? >

can metal head parts be used in 450XL head?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

can metal head parts be used in 450XL head?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can metal head parts be used in 450XL head?

While assembling my first Trex450XL I apparantly stripped the threads for the grub screws that hold the flybar rod into the flybar cage arms. So I ordered an Align brand metal flybar cage. Doesn't fit. The bearing housing extends inward to far to give clearance for the seesaw.

Can I use a metal seesaw? Or is mixing metal parts in the the plastic a really dumb idea? I'm not looking to metal for 'bling'. I just thought the metal cage pieces might be a little stronger.

regards,

joe
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM

Default RE: can metal head parts be used in 450XL head?

You can miss match any of the metal parts with each other. I also have the XL and slowly over time have put more and more metal pieces on the head as I damaged them. The metal seesaw will take out some of the slop in the plastic head. In saying this the flybar cage should fit on the plastic seesaw its just really hard to put on if you tighten the cage down before you put it in place.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM

NVS, I was able to get it to work by assembling in place, instead to prebuilding the cage. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 PM

Man, I'm a dope. Turns out I had the arms turned around backwards which is why it didn't clear. Now with it assembled correctly there is a slight amount of play. With the plastic arms you can pinch them tight against the seesaw bearing and cinch down the grub screw. Not really possible w/ the rigid aluminum arm. Should I put a washer in between the arm bearing and the seesaw bearing?

thanks again for any help. after a BCP....this thing is really complicated!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 AM

With washers it was too tight on mine. I ended up leaving the little bit of slop and made sure my flybar was even, the spinning force should just even it out. Once I got a metal seesaw there was no slop, if you do do the washers make sure it doesn't bind or you are worse off.