Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 I need some Help with a T-rex 450, Everyone... >

I need some Help with a T-rex 450, Everyone...

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

I need some Help with a T-rex 450, Everyone...

Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some Help with a T-rex 450, Everyone...

Hi,
I am 21 and have favor to ask all of you to help me get a 450 up and going. This helicopter is not for me. I am actually building it for my Father for Christmas. He wants one really bad but doesnt have the money for one and he has given up so much of what he wants to get me what I want that I figured it is my turn to pay him back a little. I will be needing it all because I have no Idea on where to start. I am currently looking at getting him the 450 SE because I know that he really likes that one. He talked about the new ARF one or what ever it is for $200 but it is only because he is trying to save money on it. So if you could give me the basic lowdown on what I am going to need in addition to and what kind of each of the following:

Helicopter
Radio/Receiver
Servos(How many)
Motor/ESC
Gyro(Also what this does would help me out)
Batteries/Charger
Any other goodies that yall can think of too...lol

If y'all could put your heads together and help me out I would really appreciate it. It will not only mean a lot to me but it will be a chance for me to give back to the man who has already given me so much. If you could let me know the Brands, Model, and Price of everything that I will need to get this thing ready-to-Fly then y'all will be my heroes...lol. Thank you very much.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Default RE: I need some Help with a T-rex 450, Everyone...

hi

I have just finished putting my first trex together. You will want to budget at least $800 to get one up and running. I spent about $900 on mine.

I actually saved a couple hundred bucks by going used on the heli itself. I found a good deal at runryder.net for a used trex se with all cnc parts and carbon frame + mega 16/15/3 motor + castle creations 35amp esc for $350

The other parts i had to get

gy401 gyro + s2650 tail servo - $190 (this seems to be one of the most popular combos, works well for me)
3x hs-65mg servos ($32 each)
dx6 spectrum tx/rx combo $200 - this comes with crappy servos, seems to be no way to avoid it. I flew the thing with the servos that came with the dx6. it seemed to fly ok but after one crash they all stripped and i had to upgrade anyway
2x 3C 2150 lipo batteries (got a cheap batteries about $36 each) no problems yet

lipo charger was about $70 but you can find those cheaper

i did a lot of research and think this config is pretty good. I know it definitely flys well.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The price here isnt really much of an issue. If y'all could just give me a few options and price ranges then that would be awesome.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 PM

I recently put together one for myself. It's an HDE 450XL. Read the last post for prices and part numbers.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4803462/tm.htm

I'm using FMA Direct cellpro 4S chargers. The new DN Power 2150mah 20C lipos for $89(pair) at readyheli.com is a great deal. I'm running 2 of them right now.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 AM

Trex 450XL CDE kit off ebay - $135
Futaba 7chp (Will probably sell the servos it came with) - $280
GY401 gyro - $105
HDS-577 tail servo - $35
3 x Hitec HDS65 servos - $25 each
2 x apex 3s 2100 mah batteries - $45 each
multiplex charger - $75
Align 430LF + Align 35A esc - $100

Heli flies great... all cost me around $900 and I'm very satisfied with this setup

by the way the gyro is what keeps the tail holding solid (I always leave heading hold enabled on mine and the tail doesn't move at all on me)

Definitely get some extra parts as jlines said... you will need them
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Hey Turbo, Check out heliproz, they have a good deal on the SE that includes everything but the raido transmitter and rcv'r. The SE comes with a good motor and speed controler. you will also need to round up some 3 cell (11.1 volt) 2000mah Li-poly batt, and a balancer/charger for li-po's. Perhaps your dad already has a raido system if not Futaba and JR both make good heli systems, Note that the SE does have a CCPM style swashplate and requires a radio that will support a 120 deg swashplate. The gyro you ask about controls the tail rotor when in flight, the Futaba 401 is very good. The package heliproz has is good and the price is right. hope this helps Cliff, http://www.heliproz.com/
Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 PM

You guys are awesome and I really appreciate the help.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM

Turbo ,I have a ?
Does he know how to fly yet?
If not then I would do the 450xl and a flight sim
If he can hover the go with the se,I have both and a sim and love them all
For either one as far as the other equipment I would get noting less than a 401 gyro and 9650 servo for the tail.
3 hs65s for the rest of the servos ,you can use hs 56s also, I like how the 65s have 3 holes for mountong already there a littl slower but have a bit more tork I think.
I use a futoba 7chp radio and a electron 6 reciver .there are better from what I have heard but It works perfect for me
motor align 430l and 35 amp speed control
alot of battery choices out there I use tp2100 for my xl and tp2200 extreme for se
If this is his first heli He will need some other like a pitch guage,blade balancer,charger
oh and if cost isnt a factor Buy him one of each one to fly hard and one that looks awsome but he is scared to fly and crash like me ,he is your dad and dads deserve the best,hope my kids read this lol
any way just my opinion
oh another idea get one for you too, Im shure he would love a flying partner.better than the heli itself.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 PM

Great Advice. He does know how to hover and things. He has a little Blade CP Pro. Not the same as the Rex but thus the upgrade. I would by him both but he would give one back. I am going to have a hard enough time to get him to accept this one as it is. I would buy on for myself but I am an r/c truck guy. Love to drive, afraid to fly...lol Plus his brother is also into the helicopter thing and just bought himself the 450 SE so there is his flying partner. They already own a business together so they see eachother all of the time.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Hey Turbo, I just check Heliproz site. theres a complete combo for $530. that has radio etc.. everything including lipo battery however its not the SE version. However, they also have a Trex SE combo for $690. highlights of this combo are the futaba GY401 gyro & 9650 digital servo, ALLLLL trex upgrades & the full metal head, CCPM control system & HS65 ball bearing micro servos (3off). Thus all you will have to get is a heli radio that can program for CCPM (futaba 7CHP PCM highly recommended) & the LIPO battery (1500mah 3cell minimum, 2100 max)

A word about the radio sellection. as far as i know this radio comes as a complete set only & since you already have servoes. maybe you can choose the 9zap or 9chp cuz you can get these without receiver & sevoes & receiver batt. (you already have sevoes in the Se combo & you will have to get the 146ip 6 channel pcm micor receiver anyway) more expensive... but boyyy will he thank you for the heli & the DE best radio!