Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 TREX HDE Motor Question >

TREX HDE Motor Question

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

TREX HDE Motor Question

Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TREX HDE Motor Question

I am debating on going with the included motor or esc in the kit, or just buying the bare bones kit and getting a better motor and esc. I want to stay brushless. What is (in your opinion) the best motor, esc for this heli? .......or should i just learn with what is in the kit. Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 PM

Default RE: TREX HDE Motor Question

I have the HDE...If I did it over again I would get the SA and build it up. I currently use a JGF450 and CC35, i'm very happy with that combo and you really won't over amp you batteries until you get in heavy 3d and by then you can buy some hi C batterys currently I use 15C and they don't even get warm.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM

If the included motor is the Align 430L, then there are a number of other motors that are more desirable. The 430L is a decent starter motor if you're just getting into heli's, but it's weak link is the bearings. They tend not to last very long.

I upgraded from the Align 430L to the Medusa 28-32-3400. It's been well worth the money. I'm using it with the Castle CC35 ESC with the latest firmware. The CC35 governor with the Medusa motor works very well.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (8)

It only gives the rating of the motor.....with 3550 Kv motor and 25 A speed control. So, i dont know which one it is. I have a brand new E-flite Pro esc 25 amp that i was going to put into one of my planes. Do you think this can be used as my speed control for the heli? It would probably be good if i can because it has the built in heat sinks and has the advanced programing.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 AM

I use a CC35 with fixed end point programming and the JGF 450TH motor. Great motor at a great price. I haven't tried governor mode with the CC35 yet, I kind of like the control I get with using my own curves and since the 450th has enough power to not bog if I don't quite have the curves cooperating nicely it works fine.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM
My Feedback: (2)

the 430l is an excellent motor...

another great option is the Hacker A20-6xl
Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM

The 25amp ESC is gonna be border line at best IMO. I suggest you get a 35amp. I'm also using a Castle Creations 35 and it has been perfect even running 4 digital servos and Futaba 401 gyro. I have been running the Astro Flight 020 803T motor. It'll support 2830 rpm headspeed without bogging.

BTW, if it matters to you both the CC35 ESC and the Astro motor are made in the USA. Neither are the cheapest, but they are both quality products.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: taterm6

It only gives the rating of the motor.....with 3550 Kv motor and 25 A speed control. So, i dont know which one it is. I have a brand new E-flite Pro esc 25 amp that i was going to put into one of my planes. Do you think this can be used as my speed control for the heli? It would probably be good if i can because it has the built in heat sinks and has the advanced programing.

I ordered the same type of deal.
My motor is an outrunner(no name on it)
The esc is a 25A..........too small.
Too many "Good Deals" out there right now to just "settle" for something. (like I did).
Check around.

Don
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM

Check that the E-flite has slow start programing available. That's essential in a heli since otherwise you'll shred your gears. 25A is pretty minimal anyway, I would go for a 35a since otherwise you're limiting your options for motors and gearing quite a bit. The T-red performs much better with powerful motors and gearing for high head speeds. Between that and rapid pitch changes you'll pull a LOT of amps. Before you say, "I don't plan to 3d with it using this stuff" think about whether you'll do anything as basic as a full power climbout. Even ONE, or one time you floor it while decending to save from a crash and you might burn out the 25a or just overload it and make it shut down, crashing the heli.