Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 trex with dx6 and 401gyro >

trex with dx6 and 401gyro

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

trex with dx6 and 401gyro

Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trex with dx6 and 401gyro

hi guys\\
just put together trex 459se with dx6 radio and 401 gyro I think I got radio setup with the help of you guys but can some one me with the gyro where do i start plz help thank you all kevin
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 AM

Default RE: trex with dx6 and 401gyro

This question gets asked so often it should be made a sticky...

How to setup a GY401 on "Brand X" TX

1) Disconect GY401, connect tail servo directly to rudder chanel. Turn on TX and RX, zero all trims, adjust servo arm to 90 degrees by removing and turning it. Turn everything off.

2) Slacken servo boom mount and adjust servo position so that the slider on the tail output shaft is in the centre of its range of movement, ensuring at all times that the servo arm remains at 90 degrees to the pushrod. Tighten servo mount.

3) Set TX into NON HH mode (Normal or Rate) at about 50%. Depending on TX brand this is either Norm 50%, Gain 25%, Gain -50%. it all means the same thing (though they look different) it just depends on where your define Zero as being.
In simple terms if a servo channel has a throw from 0 - 100, zero gain is at mid possition of 50. Above that is HH mode, below is norm (or rate) mode. So 50% rate mode == 25 and 50% HH mode == 75.

4) Connect GY401 to RX and servo to GY401. With TX in Rate mode as per 3) turn everything on. The light will flash on the GY401 to indicate it is in rate mode. Using the plastic screwdriver supplied, adjust the servo travel on the 401 so that full rudder stick movement does NOT make the tail pitch slider hit its limits. If you centred the servo and mechanics correctly in 2) you should have equal movement in both directions.

5) Time to hover, if you've not learnt to hover yet then put your training gear on and make the heli as light as you dare so that it can rotate under tail control.
With the GY401 still in rate (norm) mode, adjust your TX rudder trim so that the heli holds still in a hover. If there is not enough adjustment to stop it spinning then go back to 2) and check mechanical centre. Land and turn everything off. The trim setting should be left alone from now on.

6) Switch the TX to HH mode. Turn on the heli. As the GY401 initializes it reads the rudder signal and remembers it as the Zero setting, so it's VERY important you don't move the rudder trim or have the rudder stick off centre for any reason while it is initializing.
Take the heli into a hover (or light on the training gear) and the tail should be rock solid. Switching between HH and norm mode should not induce any rotation if you centred everything correctly in steps 2) and 5)

It is important to make sure you turn off the heli between 5) and 6) so that the GY401 re-initializes with the new TX trim setting.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (2)

or this:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-tip-002.html

Personally I never use the rudder trim.. I adjust it mechanically... on a TREX this can be done by sliding the servo forward or back on the boom
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Personally I never use the rudder trim.. I adjust it mechanically... on a TREX this can be done by sliding the servo forward or back on the boom
On a more expensive gyro I would totaly agree with you, however the 401 only has an overal throw adjustment, not max/min endpoint setting.
Moving the servo on the boom after the tail slider has been centred offsets the mechanical centre point so you either risk binding at one extreem or you reduce the overall throw available which will reduce the piro speed...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Never use trim in a heading hold gyro.

Mechanically adjust the linkage so it holds in rate mode with the linkage at 90 degrees to the servo arm, this takes advantage of the natural positive expo that a round servo wheel has to begin with at center.

Adjust the linkage so theres no binding in either direction, adjust rudder atv for desired piro rate.

While having asymetric pitch throw at first might seem incorrect but consider that one way the tail rotor is fighting torque, the other way its just going for a ride, this setup will sacrafice a small amount of piro speed in one direction but it will give you symetrical piro rates in both directions which IMO is more important.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM

A tip I found is to adjust the ball link instead of moving the servo mount when you have it in the ball park. Much easier and you don't risk moving the mount too much and having to start over.