Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

240 vs 401?

Old 11-06-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 vs 401?

I just moved up to a used Trex XL CCPM from a Blade and am truly enjoying the upgrade! The Trex has upgraded components except for the gyro. It's a store brand from HobbyPeople. The heli "twitches" and does not hold steady, making the fliying experience less than perfect. The store where the parts were purchased might allow me to upgrade gyros, but the only one they have in stock is the 240. In reading many threads on this and other forums, it seems that both (240 and 401) are the top choices for gyros. I'm told the only difference is that you can remotely adjust the 401 but not the 240. My question is do I want/need that feature???
Old 11-06-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 240 vs 401?

I have used a GY240 for a long time on my smaller FP heli, and have used many GY401 gyros on my and other Rexies. The remote gain is a small issue for me. Supporting a faster pirouette rate is bigger for me. Supporting digital tail servos is bigger.
Now, both of those issues are less important to someone who is starting out, so the GY240 may not be a bad purchase for you.
If you are already set to use a non-digital servo, and if your flying skills do not include aggressive flight with fast pirouettes, then you might not even notice the difference.
Vince
Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: 240 vs 401?

The benefits of the 401, as Vince said are faster piro rate, better holding, support for digital servos but IMO the nicest thing about the 401 over the 240 is the limit adjustment on the gyro vice having to tinker with servo arm distances to get the correct tail setup.