Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trex shuts up and down >

Trex shuts up and down

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex shuts up and down

Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex shuts up and down

Hello everyone!

It's been ages since I entered the forum . Back when I used to fly my Aerohawk...(I still fly it at home once in a while).

Now I have a Trex 450XL, well I've had it for a few months already. I bought it used from a guy who just simply wasn't able to fly it and gave up. The heli was really well set up by someone I know and flew beautifully!

I've been flying it all these months with no problems whatsoever, but lately I seem to have a problem with maintaining a constant altitude because the heli reacts very "roughly".... I don't know how to express this in another way....

When I have it on the ground, I spull the rotor up to speed and as soon as it lifts off (just a few inches from the ground), without me moving the stick, the heli shuts up like 4 or 5 feet into the air as if the pitch just increased all in a sudden. Then I can do forward flight, or FFF without much trouble, But when it comes to hovering again to land it I have a hell of a time controlling it's altitude and descent rate and most of the times it ends up doing a harder landing than I'd like to see.

It's all so strange because it didn't do that before and it was quite precise in all faces of flight.

I've checked for loose parts, I've looked at both pitch/power curves,...I can't seem to find what's wrong with it... Could it just be that it needs a bit of lubrication??

I'd appreciate any advice I can get!

And thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Trex shuts up and down

I was just now looking at the heli again and noticed that there is some play at the washout base. The two pins that go into it seem to have made the holes slightly bigger and that gives some play. It's the only place where I seem to find there's play...

Could that be it??[sm=idea.gif]

Thanks again!!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Hello again!

It seems like noone knows what's up my T-rex shooting up and down.

But at least could someone tell me if it is ok that the pins are loose inside the holes in the washout base? Could it be a problem or risk for flight?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM

How's your motor? Maybe there's something wrong with it to where you only see a change during hovering? You could check the resistance of the coils to see if any are bad. I have a Blade CP Pro that reacted like your trex does. It was the linkages though.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Does your remote have clicks on throttle? If so eliminating clicks will help. Also adjusting pitch and throttle cures should help too.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Check your servos to make sure you don't have some stripped gears. Also Disconnect them and then feel your linkages to see if there is any binding on the collective. You could also have a bent spindle. It can rotate and then pop into position.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 AM

Thanks for your replies guys!!

I've checked the motor, the servos, the spindle, the linkage rods,.... it all seems to be fine.
It's quite strange that it started doing that all in a sudden without any crashes or violent landings, that's why I thought it might have been that it needed a bit of lubrication or something....but not...
Then I thought it may come from the holes in the washout base being too large for the pins that go into them, and I still haven't recieved the parts to try that out.

Very strange....hahaha

Anyways, thanks again! I'll keep investigating....

Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM

DEfinitely sounds like binding to me. Do you regularly lubricate the O rings in the main blade grips with silicon grease, such as dielectric grease? This can easily cause a problem like this.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:11 AM

WhtBronco, you may be totally right about that!

I've never lubricated the O rings in the main blades holders.

I'll try that out and let you know!

Thanks!!