Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 any negatives to the Spektum radio for a sport flyer? >

any negatives to the Spektum radio for a sport flyer?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

any negatives to the Spektum radio for a sport flyer?

Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any negatives to the Spektum radio for a sport flyer?

Ok, so it has 3 point pitch curve...everyone seems to say that's no big deal for sport flying. But other than that, there seems to be universal praise for the Spektrum system.

Anyone have any beefs? I've seen something about 'lockouts', but no one has elaborated. Is the new technology really better than PCM? I suppose it is, if you don't have to worry about the kid down the block running his RC car on your frequency.

I also really like that the rig runs only $170 w/out servos. I'd be willing to spend $350-$400 if something was clearly better, but obviously no one wants to spend more than needed.

Should I wait for the DX7? Will the receiver fit in a Rex450? The TX looks similar to the 7 series JR, which I'm also considering.

regards,

joe
Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 AM

Default RE: any negatives to the Spektum radio for a sport flyer?

Rc Heli Magazine (an excellent magazine to learn about rc helicopters, IMO) rated the DX6 a 10 on their scale of 10.

My local hobby shop sells it with servos for $179.99. Apparently, these servos will likely wear out after awhile in a Trex 450, but it's what I'm going to start with.

I have my 450XL HDE combo kit and a classic edition co-pilot. I'll be adding the DX6, hh gyro, etc. little by little.

The idea of no radio interference gives me a lot of confidence in trusting my Trex to a DX6.

I've heard that another Spektrum was coming out, but I haven't read anything about it yet. My LHS said they expect it will be more in the higher price range you mentioned though. If I remember right, my LSH said it's expected to have a lot more advanced features.

RCH
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

About 5 or 6 of us use the Spektrum on our T-Rex's. This time of year we fly in a metal roofed warehouse. In nearly a year of using the Spektrum in helicopters there hasn't been one single glitch or incident of any kind!

It is such a relief not to have to worry about frequency control.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:56 AM

Steve what servos are you using?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently, these servos will likely wear out after awhile in a Trex 450, but it's what I'm going to start with.
It is not a question of them wearing out. They have hideous centering. They simply should not be used on a helicopter, where slop is unacceptable.
Use well behaved servos instead. Hitec HS65 or HS56 servos have much better centering.
Vince
Old 11-09-2006, 11:21 AM

I will be ordering some Hitec 65's as they seem the servo of choice

for the tail it will be a 9650 with a 401 gyro.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Do not use the S-75 servos in any heli that you want to have decent control of.

Do buy the DX-7 if you can afford it over the DX-6

Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 PM

Ive been using the DX6 on my Trex XL CDE and I can say I will never touch another system. I run another heli and plane and always get glitches(interference)in my area with normal TX/RX . The DX6 Trex setup is a rock in hover, no glitches period! I also have 30 or more flights using the spektrum servos, which are fine- one out of a thousand people one has a servo pileup and all of a sudden everyone jumps on the bandwagon, typical net responses, the sky is always falling! The truth is for sunday flyers the spektrum/Trex setup is more than good enough, it's funny some people saying you have to have a Trex SE, $1000 RX, $50 servos, Blinged out can't even 3D, can't hover nose in, stall turn or loop -I have done all the above with my walkera E22 which is supposedly crap. My Trex/DX6 is a dream, so do what you can afford- Time in the air not Bling makes you a good pilot.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: theDonDon

Ive been using the DX6 on my Trex XL CDE and I can say I will never touch another system. I run another heli and plane and always get glitches(interference)in my area with normal TX/RX . The DX6 Trex setup is a rock in hover, no glitches period! I also have 30 or more flights using the spektrum servos, which are fine- one out of a thousand people one has a servo pileup and all of a sudden everyone jumps on the bandwagon, typical net responses, the sky is always falling! The truth is for sunday flyers the spektrum/Trex setup is more than good enough, it's funny some people saying you have to have a Trex SE, $1000 RX, $50 servos, Blinged out can't even 3D, can't hover nose in, stall turn or loop -I have done all the above with my walkera E22 which is supposedly crap. My Trex/DX6 is a dream, so do what you can afford- Time in the air not Bling makes you a good pilot.
Hooyaaah, finally the truth comes out. Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 AM
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: theDonDon

I also have 30 or more flights using the spektrum servos, which are fine- one out of a thousand people one has a servo pileup and all of a sudden everyone jumps on the bandwagon, typical net responses, the sky is always falling!
I really have to agree with everybody's assessment of the Spektrum S-75 servo. I have have/had five of these servos. Three are in use in parkflyer type aircraft and have been working fine for that application. Of the other two, one started glowing bright orange on my workbench and melted the case. The other had poor centering - every time I moved the servo it would return to a different center - not even close.

I have not tried the Spektrum in my T-Rex but have been happy with it in my airplanes. My conclusions are...

Pros
No frequency pin
No worry about interference
Small light RX
No antenna routing issues

Cons
Inconsistent servos
Limited TX programming
TX battery drains quickly

Lawrence