Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 SE or Raptor 50SE? >

SE or Raptor 50SE?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

SE or Raptor 50SE?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE or Raptor 50SE?

as the title says, i want to know which one should i get, i already have a blade cp, currently doing loops and rolls, but it REALLY lacks power. if i do get a SE, it'll run me above $800 for sure without rx & Tx. however, i have this really sweat deal at my lhs where there's a 2nd hand Raptor 50SE going for 650 withough rx & tx. the guy used to put it for $900CAD with rx/tx, but then he is in need of money and he lowered it by 100 bux and told me that he'd sell it for 150CAD less if i don't want the rx/tx. servos are bluebird's and has more than enough torque. and it has the 401/9254 tail combo. wat i'm afraid of is that one crash is gonna run me dry, i'm only 14. so what do you guys think? what should i get to start 3D? how big a space does a raptor 50 need?

the SE is the only version i'm gonna get if i'm going to get a trex. just to let you guys know.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Default RE: SE or Raptor 50SE?

It sounds like you could use the T-Rex. If you're asking about space limitations, then the Rex would probably be more suited. Are you flying at a park or ball field? Either way you go, you won't believe how stable a high end heli is! I still can't get over how easy my Rex is to fly over my CP.

By the way, I want to get a Raptor 50 SE this Christmas... But there and again, I'm debating on a Align 600 CF instead of the Raptor.

Good luck with it,
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 PM

i have a football field at walking distance. i want to start doing 3D, because the blade really lacks power, i was doing a loop the other day and found that after it finished and was upright, it is still sinking with full throttle, i dont wanna go bl because of the gyro and the tail. if i go brushless, then i'd probably have to change the gyro, and if i do that, i'd probably go dual tail motor, and if i do that, i'd have to either cut off a part of the tail boom, add extra weight at the front, or go with a bigger lipo, which will also add weight... and the list goes on and on... i have a futaba 7c and my blade has cf blades on it and it's very well setup, i can probably hover a few seconds hands-off without it moving. i know a raptor 50 is way more stable than a trex let along a blade. but i know i'm bound to have a crash while learnign, so... the cost would run me up to couple hundred bux. but the deal is just SO tempting that i'd have to consider it...
Old 11-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Get the TRex. The TRex is more of a grab and go bird. I fly my TRex in my backyard, at work, at the park, etc. Nitro requires a lot more space, a lot more set-up, is harder to transport, will cost more after a crash, and can do a lot more damage to people and property.

With the TRex and a good radio, you can learn to fly safer and cheaper and can move into bigger nitro birds if you stick with it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM

if you get the raptor you will also need to get a starter, glow plug starter, fuel,windex to clean up fuel, starter shaft, and many tools. do you want to carry that to the park?

Dont get the Trexse! Dont do it!

It will consume your life and you will just want to fly, fly, and fly some more. Soon you will be broke and asking mom for money because then one wont be enough. Youll have to have two so when one is broke down youll still have another. And then upgrages come out and you will have to get those too. DONT DO IT!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 PM

too bad nobody here is a drug addict, or you'll know what i mean, this hobby is SOOOOOO addicting!!!! but oh well, i use my own money from newspaper delivery, my mom don't pay a cent, so if i'm broke, i'm broke until another month of income. i never knew you'd need so much acc's. i thought all you need is fuel and possible windex (pull start engine). well, heli is taking up so much of my life, but i still focus on school work, i hope i get at least a 90 average this term.
well, if i'm gonna get a trex, i'd get the SE and hs65MG. so in a crash, i probably wont loose anything other than maybe blade, main gear and shaft, spindle, flybar, possibly boom and belt. not gonna run me dry baba... NOT GONNA... but the raptor's a whole different story... but....... i believe everybody's life on this forum is being comsumed a consderable amount by heli's anyway...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM

I had a raptor30 and the starter had to be plugged to a 12v battery. its a motorcycle batt. that was in my flight box. there are starters that have nicads to make them portable but are quite heavy. Does raptor50 have pullstart?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Mike - Where are you flying in West Valley? My Wife and I used to live there 5 years ago, then we moved to Taylorsville, then here to Ohio about 2 years ago. I used to fly electric planks in Taylorsville park, and a couple of other parks in the vicinity. Flew gassers out at the mudflats near salt palace.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Jordon River Park off 215 and 2400n is now called Model Park for airplanes and helis.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:11 PM

CD - You should just go for the SE and be done with it... As said before, the convenience of being able to tote it around or throw it in a pack and ride down to your buds house, a park, etc, makes the SE worthwile. There are a lot of guys running the Spectrum radio, and that's probably a decent radio for the money, unless you have a wish list for mom for christmas time, then go with a higher end Futaba or JR.

The other thing you have to consider with higher end electrics though is the cost of a good charger, and several battery packs. I got lucky and was able to dismantle a 9 cell 6000 mah lipo I had from a 40 sized 3D electric conversion. Usually these packs run $70 US each. Three packs seem to be ample for cooling of the esc and motor, by this time, there's another pack ready to rock (around 1 hour). There are lots of chargers to choose from, and these will run you ~$100 US, although you can get some cheaper chargers for $25 (Great Planes lipo), but are a lot slower when charging the battery.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 PM

I used to take my kids there to watch, prior to delving into planks... Last I heard (~3 years ago), the state was going to sell it off for housing, due to the sprawl south of there. Nice to see it's still alive.

I also took a couple of lessons on planks there, but never soloed there... Too big a crowd, and was always too scared / worried I'd screw up and get yelled at (I've seen it happen there before). I could probably fly circles around a couple of those guys now (LOL).
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Yah its still there and still talking about getting rid of it.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM

chopperdudes have you checked out bobs vids yet?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM

yes, i have checked those vid out. and i do have a futaba 7c with micro futaba 6ch pcm reciever. so that should be enough. i'm using that for my blade right now. i didn't go with spectrum because i think that a 3point throttle/pitch curve is too much a joke, and that i'd want to have more than one p-mix (swash to throttle (aile to throttle & ele to throttle = 2mix.) i'd also want more than one idle up, one for fff and one for 3d or aerobatics. the servos are a joke too, i know all you guys probably has hs65 in it. the S75 just centers so horribly. i'd probably have to wait since if i do get a SE right now, i'd leave me with bout 200 bux left, and i don't want to do that...

how loud so nitro engines get anywat? cause the football field is really a school and there's houses around it... just another thought.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: chopperdudes

How loud do nitro engines get anyway? Because the football field is really a school and there's houses around it... just another thought.
Pretty Loud. My Kyosho Nexus (which I'm selling on Ebay now to get a T-Rex) with a .32 engine was louder than a gas leaf blower. If there are houses and kids nearby, I would also be worried about crashing into them. Nitros are way heavier than electrics and can do serious damage, even kill someone. You will wonder how it will ever leave the ground when you see how heavy it is.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM

ya, now i'm pretty convinced of getting a trex. but i dunno if i should upgrade my blade with bl and hh gyro and hold the trex off till after the winter, or should i just get the trex and get it over with, because if i do get a trex, i'd only have bout 200 bux left, i dont' feel too comfortable with that.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Don't waste your money upgrading the blade (at least not when comparing to upgrading to a TRex). Again, you won't believe how much more stable the Rex is over the BCP. See if you can get your relatives to splurge on a 7C for you
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM

the cyclic controls on a trex will be way more responsive than on the blade right? even with bell hiller?
here's wat happened today:
did a few loops, and then i got cocky, i actually tried to do a front elevator flip. i did went ok... front cyclic, and start reducing collective, but after it's inverted, the tail swinged 90degrees and it just seems to hang there inverted side on, i somehow freaked out and start adding collective again... doh[:@]. well, guess wat..., when the tail tried to swing up, the tail swinged around... and the nose dived straight down the dirt. damage... blades are unharmed (cf blades). mainshaft bented so badly not worth repairing (bented in several places actually) paddle control frame, and the canopy. 25bux should probably do it at my lhs...
well, my guess is that (with a sim out of the question), it'd be easier to learn to hover inverted/fly, on a trex over the blade? in that case, i'll rethink about upgrading the blade.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 AM

The Blade and Trex cannot even be compared IMO. Neither can a Raptor 50 and Trex. I have all 3, a Blade CP, Raptor 50 and a Trex. Given the choice the Raptor is the heli I'd fly. It's much more stable and more precise than a Trex mostly due to size. It's also much easier to see in the air. I don't even fly the Blade, I find it to just be an annoying little heli.

If your gonna fly at a local football field the R50 is not the right heli though, the Trex would be better suited for that. FWIW, they both cost about the same.

IMO, you should reconsider the sim. After using a sim I was doing nose in hover on flight 1 and loops and rolls on flight number 5. There is no replacement for sim time. Since there is no fear of crashing you can learn easier and faster. All I have Real Flight G2 and these days you can often find it pretty cheap used since most folks are getting better sims.