Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Just to say Thanks >

Just to say Thanks

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Just to say Thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just to say Thanks

I got together the SE with all the recommended goodies:

Futaba 9C
GY 401 and 9650
HS 65HG
TP 2100 3S
Align 35 ESC and motor

I followed all the advise, in particular I would like to thank Bob Finless Videos on setting up the CCPM and 401. I really would have been lost with them. Just took it up and hovered it. All I can say is wow, rock solid, this is really going to force me to become a better pilot, I simply have no excuses. Again thanks for all the advise, when your spending this kind of money it is great to know you are making decisions you are not going to regret.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27360.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	560406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62278.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	560407  
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 AM

Default RE: Just to say Thanks

Looks to me like you didn't follow the videos too close (or got lazy). You have wires exposed everywhere and your gyro is mounted on top of the boom instead of underneath where it is suseptible to damage. Glad that you are happy with your purchase, but after spending that kind of money on something it seems a shame to skimp on the assembly.

My suggestions on how to make your bird even MORE prime

Shorten your wires to the correct length and re-sodder them (or use connectors if absolutly necissary)
Mount the gyro under the tailboom (there are clips available that allow you to do this)
Use some sort of cable housing to keep all your wires together and sheilded from damage.

These are little things I know and I'm not trying to rag on you, just making suggestions on how things could be improved.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job! Glad to see someone actually following given advice, rathe than looking for the cheapest way to get in the air.
Congrats!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 AM

Watson - mine looks just like yours only the carbon is black. I think the wiring job is great. Who wants to go through the hastle of cutting / resoldering wiring. That's a project for a rainy day when you have nothing else to do in my opinion. If I do this, that'll be when I do it. I had to use a 6" extension to get to my receiver on one of the servos. It sucks for looks, but it works, and it'll be taken care of when I get to it.

I'm also in the same boat... If it weren't for all the vids / posts / websites on how to set these things up, I'd be flying, but not nearly as nicely as my bird is now.

Great work!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Absolutely! Without the help and encouragement of members of this (and other) forums, I think a lot fewer heli's would be flying. I'd like to add that the hands-on help and advice of the guys that I have met at a local flying club have been invaluable too.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Dynamic,

I agree the wiring could be cleaner, but I was a little anxious to see if it would lift off so I didn't shorten any of the wires. For instance I think the motor wires need to be shortened, but I wasn't sure how often I was going to need to plug and unplug the motor to test pitches, etc. So I think until I fly this a little, I am going to leave them long but strapped down.

Also on the boom mount, I made a little mount so that it the GY401 would fit under the boom. But then realized it was going to be hard to get to the pots on the Gyro, and I don't know if they are going to need further adjusting. So again, for now, I went with the top boom mount. I assume if you flip it over some of the switch settings change. Also I was following Bob's settup video that mounts it on the top.

If this was my second t-tex I bet I would agree totally with your comments.

I probably should have shown the other side, I have a little problem on the antenna, the directions on the Deans Short antenna say to leave 3 to 6 inches of wire on the receiver. What the heck do you do with the 3 to 6 inches?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 AM

I'm curious about the mounting of the Dean's antennae too. Also, could someone elaborate on shortening/resoldering the servo and gyro wires...should the servo wires be pretinned before final soldering? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Always pre-tin wires first. It makes for a cleaner connection.

Don
Old 11-23-2006, 10:56 PM

here, try this instead of cutting, and resoldering your servo wires.
my friend did this on his trex and it looks really clean, and heres a pic i found of it courtesy of JustPlaneChris on RCGroups
this way, it looks good, you dont have to go through the trouble of cutting and soldering, and if you ever need this servo to have a longer lead, it still has it!
its been a while since ive heard how its done but i believe all you do is wrap it around any kind of rod (probably 1/4" or smaller?) neatly and pull it pretty tight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53311.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	565717  
Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 AM

Lammy - I just stuck a Deans antenna on mine this weekend. Make sure the antenna stays on the landing gear, because if it's tucked around metal / CF, you will lose signal once the antenna is turned away from you. I learned this first hand, and luckily the heli went into fail safe only a couple of feet off the ground.

2ndly, the gyro wires - I just trimmed mine up this weekend and took a 6 inch piece out of the rudder wire / gyro wire. I didn't feel like taking the gyro apart to do it, so I cut it out and shrink tubed the leads where I soldiered it. I also cut the gyro / servo leads completely off and soldiered the lead directly to the servo. very clean this way and eliminates zip ties / a plug type connection.

I didn't mess with servos. Most of the leads are only 1 - 2 inches too long, and I just tucked them up under the frame for now. Maybe when I get anal enough, I'll trim them up right. They're just too much of a pain to take out and shorten up right now.