Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Can someone help me set up a trex motor? >

Can someone help me set up a trex motor?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Can someone help me set up a trex motor?

Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can someone help me set up a trex motor?

I have never run electrics and these instructions suck. I am setting up a trex for the first time with the big motor, I am running a 1320 mah lipo 11.1 volt bat, an RCE-BL25G speed control and a 430L motor. I can get it powered up, and when I add throttle, it seems to be getting up to speed, then starts to surge then cuts out. If I drop it to about 70% throttle, it keeps running, but I know it has more throttle than that. I have it set up on heli mode, not governed. Any help getting this thing to work right would be appreciated. I don't know anything about electric, but thought I would try one by the suggestion of a lot of RCU members.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can someone help me set up a trex motor?

Looks like you have the bare minimun on electronics. But you should be able to get this up with 100% throttle. First 430L is good but 25a esc and batt. are weak.
Go through everthing and make sure nothing is binding ( pinion to close to gear, tail belt to tight ) sounds like your getting locked out from esc.
Dont use align fiber blades, too heavy for 25a esc and use 10-11t pinion.
Your batt. maybe to weak for motor, TP 2070-2200 or if you want cheaper, Apex 2200 15c has been working good for me. Make sure you have ferrite ring on esc. And pitch is very important with your esc and has to be set-up right ( in normal mode -1 low +10 high 0 middle )

After all that said best to just upgrade esc and batt.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Hmmmm, thanks. They said that one would be right with that motor when I bought it. Figures. I will find the right esc. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM

Ok, I got it working. Flew it twice. This little thing is a blast. Yes, the speed control needs to be replaced with a 35 amp one, but it works ok for now. The battery seems fine. First flight was just circles around the yard, second I tried a loop but it fell out bad, I will have to re-check my pitch and see if it is right. It should have hung in there better. Its pretty fun. I look forward to playing with it more in time. I even got my prop on my 4D bird working right. I will have to try the 35 amp esc and see how it differes. Should be better and be able to sustain more power.