Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 JR Electronics, Any Reason not to use them? >

JR Electronics, Any Reason not to use them?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

JR Electronics, Any Reason not to use them?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Electronics, Any Reason not to use them?

I'm doing the final selection on the the electronics for my T-Rex SE

I already have a Spektrum DX6 so the radio selection is done.

Originally I was planning on going with the Hitec 65MG's, a Futaba 401 Gyro and 9650 servo. But then I got talking to my LHS owner (a JR Guy) and we got discussing a JR Gear, as her runs all JR gear in his Helis

I went home and did a lot of reading up on the JR Gear.

The JR G500T Gyro looks to be a little better than the Futaba 401.

For the tail the New JR 3400G looks like it is the best out there.

For the other 3 servos the JR DS285 look to be a good choice.

The only down side is that the Digital servos draw more power, but from my understanding they also hold better and are more accurate.

I realize the easy way out is to just follow the crowd and go the Hitec & Futaba route, but
as the cost is really not an issue (the JR gear is just slightly more) I'd really like to go with the nicer setup unless there is a firm reason no to.

I'd like to hear is what others experience has been with the JR setups.

Thank you.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 AM

Default RE: JR Electronics, Any Reason not to use them?

Do you like the Dodge Viper or do you prefer the Z06 Corvette? You can't go wrong with either one, but I find it annoying that 90% of my LHS staff and local Heli groupies tend to be more JR oriented and just ignore the stuff people use on this board, only because they don't wanna break the click they started. No one here uses Futaba Radios and I've always been a Futaba fan. Seems to me the GY401 is the most tried and trued HH Gyro on this board, but on the other hand, JR has a 3 year warranty on theirs.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM

I've historically been a Futaba fan but when I read the specs and the opinions of people running the JR Servos and Gyros it makes you look at the JR gear a little closer.

I'm really not a die hard either way, I just figure as much $$$ as I've spent on going to the SE why not just go with the better setup (whoever that may be).

The money is my least concern it in.

I'll probably upgrade to the DX7 at some point but since I already have the DX6 it will stay for now.

Thank you
Old 11-20-2006, 04:11 PM

The servos you mentioned above look like they will work just as good as any other. The tail servo is faster than the Futaba but the other ones were a bit slower and less torque. So go with what you want, you don't have to follow the sheep over the cliff( if you dont get the joke sorry). Everyone has there preferences, I like JR radios But their is nothing wrong with futaba Airtronics Hitec or others.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I don't much care for brand loyalty one way or the other, bottom line is they all make good stuff (most of the time).

My only comment here will be on the gyro. In my experience, yes, the JR gyro is a bit better than the 401 (in that it holds the tail better in backwards flight). However, it's also alot harder to setup compared to the Futaba gyros. The JR gyro works great if you have the know how to set your tail up perfectly, whereas the Futaba gyro will tolerate "newbie" mistakes alot better.

Really, between the two, you're splitting hairs in terms of performance, the big factor for going with Futaba is that they're vastly easier to configure and setup to work on most helis. The GY401's are the most popular gyro out there and it's for a good reason .

JR radios are quite nice (very comfy to hold). Never used their servos, receivers seem OK though.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I don't have a loyalty for any particular brand I just want the most bang for the buck even if I have to spend a few more to get it.

I have heard numerous times that the JR G550T is a better Gyro, and it looks to be a fairly straight forward setup, but then again I'm pretty good at electrical/mechanical systems.

My understanding of Digital servos is that since they hold better and that they don't have to wind up to speed to have there max torque they require less torque then a standard would.

Thank you.