Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 new trex first flight.... outta control. >

new trex first flight.... outta control.

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

new trex first flight.... outta control.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new trex first flight.... outta control.

i am new to the heli forums, i just bought a trex se built it and had a experienced person setup radio for me. i saw him hover it and then i took it home and went to fly it and holy crap the servos that came with the radio are absolute garbage. i bought the spectrum dx6 with servos and all and they are so unbelievably weak its scary. i picked up heli and i had to work the stick so much i sorta lost control. so i lifted it higher off ground and it wass barely under my control, it was swinging left, right circels and what not. my wife said shes outta there cause she got scared but im not really sure how but i mamaged to get that thing on the ground just as it had left. whoa that was a close one. luckily i had 3 new servos in the car, the hitec ones. i installed them and am now ready to fly. oh yeah, i also put the training gear on i was supposed to use. i wish i new how to post the video of that crazy flight. lots of hours on the sim paid off though. that i know is an absolute fact.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM

Default RE: new trex first flight.... outta control.

how experienced is he? you've only flown on a computer program and he managed to hover the real thing fine... did he set up the heli or only the controller? because if he set up the heli and controller it should be perfectly balanced... with a helicopter user input is required a lot
Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on a successful, if scary, maiden flight. You found out what everyone else knows. The S75 servos are junk. Never consider using them on a heli.
Which Hitec servos did you move to?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:21 PM

sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a quick questions about those servos. I am considering the Spectrum Package from helihobby and those are the servos that it comes with. Should I even consider using them at all? Or should I go for a completely different kit?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Those servos are fine, they are the same internals as Hitec HS-55.....
Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 PM

That's not what I hear. I have seen a great many threads on those servos where people are complaining like crazy.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM

I bought the spektrum dx6 and all I can say about the servos is........Put all of them in your hand and throw them as far as you can, they are junk, If you wiggle the arm on the servo you will see the excessive play in them, This is murder for a heli. Switch to the hs56 or 65, and you wont be sorry, Oh by the way if you do throw the servos in the air it will probably be the smoothest flight the servos will ever have! LOL.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 PM

i tell you what, you send me the postage and you can have those spectrum servos for free. they iterally are not worth the shipping on them. i bought the hitec 65 ones. they work a whole lot better. i can fly around just fine now. i am now questioning the work the guy at lhs did on my heli also. after i changed the servos he said i need to go back and reset all the pitch curves. why? seems like i shouldnt have to.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:21 PM

damn, those hs-55 servos are expensive. $14 and you need 4! This is making me look back at the MX400 (non pro) combo pack from Tower, comes with everything needed plus Futaba radio and servos
Old 11-28-2006, 04:41 PM

You will have to re-check and likely modify your curves anytime you change servos, even if for the same brand on the same heli. Slight movements put all that work right out the window. That stuff has to be right for anything to work as expected.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
My Feedback: (5)

If you are complaining about $14 servos you are surely in the wrong hobby.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: orange150

damn, those hs-55 servos are expensive. $14 and you need 4! This is making me look back at the MX400 (non pro) combo pack from Tower, comes with everything needed plus Futaba radio and servos
Definately in the wrong hobby. Hitech HB 65's cost $25 and that is cheap for how good they are. The S148 servo is $14 and it is the bottom of the line slowest servo Futaba has. My 9650 digital servo costs $60 and that is still cheap considering there are digital servos out there for well over $100. The MX400 is barely 3D capable and can't touch a TREX 450SA or SE.

I don't suppose you still use a ball bearing gyro?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 PM

Hello all, I bought the T-Rex 600 still w8ting on Fed Ex, what is the best Rx to use for this size heli? I'm looking for a mid-range cost radio, servos, gyro etc. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: starcop

Hello all, I bought the T-Rex 600 still w8ting on Fed Ex, what is the best Rx to use for this size heli? I'm looking for a mid-range cost radio, servos, gyro etc. Thanks.
Get the JR 7202 and an Align RCE-500x for starters.