Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 new to helicopters, is this model good? >

new to helicopters, is this model good?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

new to helicopters, is this model good?

Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to helicopters, is this model good?

hi, i am new to helicopters, i bought a smartech aerohawk and its really bad. today my tail motor broke, the brushes don't contack anymore in it and my main shaft is semi bent or broken, since i didn't even crash it theres no reason for anythin of it to break!

ok, i was looking at the T-Rex 600CF. i think its 6 channel, and its got really nice parts to it.

my first question was is it easy to fly? (since i can hardly hover my aerohawk ... mostly because it shakes rapidly in the air since its not balanced)
secondly, is it a good model or is there another bettwe one?
thirdly are parts cheap and accessable in australia and/or hong kong?
last, would it be good for someone who is almost brand new to helicopters?

thx! phatmat.

edit** check out the site: http://www.rcplanet.com/align_t_rex_...73607_prd1.htm
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: new to helicopters, is this model good?

the Trex 600 is an amazing heli...but absolutely NOT for beginners
Old 12-02-2006, 10:15 AM

what about if i put a gyro in it, and can partly hover my (full plastic ... broken now) aerohawk?

u recon that it would be easier to fly than one what has around a 40cm total blade length and an inbuilt gyro?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:38 AM

well a t-rex 600 can work as a beginner heli for a few reasons. one its a big heli (50 size) so its stable in the air. two parts are readily available justa about anywhere. so getting parts arnt a problem. three being a 3d heli it will be the only heli you'll ever need to get. thats unless you want more.

some down falls of it is that its electric so flight times are low. about 5 min of 3d or 6-7 min of hovering where with a raptor 50 you can get about 15 min of hovering. second batteries are EXPENSIVE, the average battery is 250-300 dollars. also a raptor 50 will be cheaper in the beggining than an electric of the same size. parts are also readily available.

but in the end its up to you. either way you go, when your done building and basic setup have someone who has experience flying helis look it over and test fly it. this way they can give you input on what needs to be adjusted. also invest in some training gear this will help sooooo much when learning to hover especially after you spend 2000 on your new heli.

but in the end its up to you. nitro helis are louder, messier, but give longer flight times which is good for a beginner.

electric are more expensive in the beginning, quieter, and cleaner, but give less flight time for beginners.

now you could get a 600 or get a 50 size nitro, its all personal preference.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 AM

u can choose t-rex 450x if u were to go for electric,i'll get the raptor 50 if i were u cause the price only slightly higher n performance is better if compare to t-rex 600..so i would recommend u to get nitro heli if u hv that kind of budget n the flying time is longer than battery electric heli,i myself was playing with t-rex 450(i got no budget for nitro birds) n im really havin fun with it n its very stable on hover if compared among other electric heli at the same size,im new to this hobby too but i can handle it well just that the only disadvantages is the battery only can last for about 10 minutes max for a beginner like me...n yes t-rex 600 will be more stable cause the size is bigger but u'll spend more money on the batteries n future upgrades..so i would suggest u to got for nitro birds if u r thinking to get t-rex 600..just my 2cents..cheers & happy flying~~~~
Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 AM

phatmat--here's a comparison for you to think about.

Your aerohawk is like a small electric weed-eater lawn trimmer, or maybe a hair clipper.
The TRex 600 is like a chainsaw with an 18-inch bar.

Flying things don't scale by size so much as by weight. The difference between your aerohawk with a rotor disk of about 2 feet or 50 cm, and even a TRex 450 with a 70 cm rotor disk, is vaster than you can imagine. It's less than one and a half times as big, right? Wrong--it's almost 4 times as heavy and has the power to match.

Crash into something in hover with your aerohawk and you might need to replace some blades. Hit something with the TRex and you'll have to replace whatever you hit, as well as most of the parts of the helicopter.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying be careful--be very very careful.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 AM

yeh, i see your point. my aerohawk is more like a little toy. once when i was adjusting the blades to try and stop the wobble i bumped the throttle and it started spinning full throttle cutting the blades into my hands, but i could hardly feel it, no blood and hardly any scratches ... i spose if that was the T-Rex 600 my hand would be gone.

i can't get a nitro heli, since i really don't like nitro ... i just wasted $250 on a Kyosho FW-05T that has started 4 times in 1 year.

how long does the batteri last on the T-Rex 450? Because i would prefer to get larger helicopter, since i don't want to buy the smaller one then hae to upgrade to the larger one.

also, wat is 3d flying? do you mean upside down and things like that?

thx. phatmat
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 AM

i can get around 10 minutes for my t-rex 450 with 3c 20s 2200mah lipo battery..n 3d flying will be some kind like stunts if not mistaken,im not so sure cause im oso a beginner n haven reach tat stage yet,its a long way for me to go..lolz!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:44 AM

3d flying is just that--the helicopter or airplane is totally free and controllable around all three axes or dimensions. Some of the things a helicopter can do seem impossible. Check out the videos here:
www.kylerocks.com
Now, go forth and crash, ye mortals...