Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Do I have to use a gyro

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Do I have to use a gyro

Old 12-03-2006, 08:03 PM
supaman2u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to use a gyro

I just purchased a DX6 and the sales person said it would work, when I turn my t-rex into an airwolf with retracts. But asking the same question in the tx forum. Someone said I could use the #5 instead of use a gyro if Im and correct. I know the gyro helps the yaw factor but Im not going to being doing any 3D flying. So do I need a gyro or not.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
hdoc

Default RE: Do I have to use a gyro

If you're an absooutely excellent, totally coordinated, advanced Heli pilot----You might get away without a gyro

Heli's 20 Yrs ago had mechanical mixing, (T->R)., and you can probably do some electronic T->R Mixing with the Tx, but flying is considerably more pleasant with a gyro--Pref--HH

Lloyd
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
wcc963

yes you definetly need a gyro to fly a rex. and turn all mixing settings off before flying it. the mixing dosent help at all.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Jellyson

No you don't need a gyro.
You don't need pants either.

Some things may be a little easier with them though, like going into a restaurant, or flying a helicopter...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
drtmind01

i think they ment have a gyro lets say a futuba 240 which does not need the ger channel-5- because it cant be adjusted from the radio and use that channel for other stuff but if you have a gyro like the futuba 401 which if you want you can plug it in to the ger channel and control the gain from the remote you can just disconnect it and it will work fine as you will just adjust tha gain manually on the gyro, so in other words you cant fly a helicopter without a gyro but you can fly with a gyro thats not connected to channel 5 the ger channel as all it doesa is control the gain from the remotely which i prefer doing manually anyway, i know this cuz i got a dx6 as well
Old 12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Jellyson

Since you are not going to do 3d in your "plain Jane" the Align RCE 500x will be sufficient gyro for you and if you insist on using a digital tail servo you can use the EFlite g90, a fine product that will handle either analog or digital servos. Either one will allow you to adjust the gain remotely using the "ger" channel on your DX6 system (the right choice in radios, by the way.)
Ahh, I just remembered you need to have retracts! That's what that seventh channel on the DX7 must be for...
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Jellyson

Use the DX6, put the gyro gain on the "ger" channel until you get it dialed in, then you won't need to adjust it and you can set it manually and put the retracts on the ger channel for when you are flying scale.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:28 AM
rcboosted

I think what he meant is whether he needs the remote gain which is on the "GER" channel for the AR6000. No you don't NEED it, it just makes adjustment much easier. As to turning your trex into an airwolf, I'm going to be the bad guy and tell you that you will be very disappointed. Because it sounds like you don't even know how a helicopter works. That means you can't fly it very well. Putting on a fuselage while in the learning stage means money down the drain. Better get some stick time in first before you start making cosmetic changes.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM
supaman2u

Hey thanks for all the input. I just starting out and I know not to put the body kit on until I can fly. I hope buy spring or summer I can start putting the body kit on.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey supaman2u,
There are some different thoughts that are mixed in to the various responses. I want to check to see that you have good information.

As I understand it, you are hoping to use a 6 channel system, and run retracts. This is entirely doable. You need to select a gyro that does not have remote gain. The Futaba GY240 is a great example of a head hold gyro with no remote gain.
You cannot use a futaba GY401 and leave the remote gain unplugged. But if you get a good head hold gyro without the remote gain, you are good to go.

Oh, you are not using the S75 servos are you? They are junk, and should never be used on a heli.
Vince
Old 12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
the dog

if you have a simulator maybe turn off the gyro and then try to fly any heli andsee how it does.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew for 20 years without a gyro, and I can tell you, it is sure a lot nicer to have one. I like it a lot better with a gyro, but not using one will sure teach you to use the rudder stick!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:54 PM
supaman2u

I guess I'll be getting new servos and the gy240. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
duaneh1

Just for the fun of it, I disabled the Gyro on my Trex SE, you can do that by setting the sensitivity to 50%. The tail was way too twitchy, couldn't get more than a foot off the ground. Seemed impossible. I guess if I cranked up the dual rates or expo, may be possible, but it seems like a real handful.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Just picture Mr Toads Wild Ride
Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 PM
REVORN

mainly guys, what the is big difference of dx7 over dx6??? i am planning to use one of these radios soon to COPTERX 450SE.....thanks guys for the input.. -rev
Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
klamathpro

Biggest difference between a DX7 and DX6 is the 5-point throttle curve on the DX7. You need a 5 point curve to do 3D. The seventh channel comes in handy later.