Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Shortening servo/gyro wires?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Shortening servo/gyro wires?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Dynamic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortening servo/gyro wires?

So I've been flying a BCP for 4 months now...finally got my TREX

TREX 450SE
3 x hs65mg
1 x ds3400g
g500t gyro

DX7 tx + rx (arrives tomorrow or wednesday)

I assembled my TREX and I have everything mounted except the rx and the battery (and a touch of loom for my wires). One thing I discovered is that since I don't need an antenna straw cause of the DX7 I can change the landing skid braces to a wide stance. I did have a a few issues though.

The first is that my canopy (that I did trim and paint allready) appears to gently rub the main gear on one side. Is this normal (should I grind out a notch) or what? Next I need to know how to shorten servo wires properly. Can I get new ends? Is it worth the time and risk (everything else on my bird is trimmed shortened and prime). I'm thinking I will unless people tell me that its a really bad idea. The scary part is shortening my gyro wires that are WAY too long. Will shortening my gyro wires change the perfomance?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default RE: Shortening servo/gyro wires?

Shortening the wires wont change the performence, but it requires decent soldering skills, if it works dont mess with it is my motto.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
thermlin

somebody correct me if im wrong, but i think this is the procedure. ive never done it, but ive seen it done.
wrap the long wires around something about a quarter inch thick, and pull it as tight as you can on both sides (dont break the wires....) and let it go.
should curl up like a curly fry, and doesnt require nearly as much work as soldering

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23354.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	571735  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Dynamic

Its not like soldering is hard and I only have to do it the one time. As soon as I get my RX (tomorrow) I'm gonna slice my wires up so that their the perfect length. While coils might be ok, I think that having them the right length is cleaner. After spending the time and precision allready I can't bring myself to take shortcuts now.

Instead of cutting and replacing the ends as I was originally thinking, I think I will cut a section out of the wire, solder them back together, shrink tube each wire, shrink tube over all the wires, then run the wires in my looming. I think thats the best way.

Going to wait to get my RX first though cause how much would it suck to make one too short.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:51 PM
klamathpro

Leave some slack or you may end up with a broken wire or servo when you crash.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Dynamic

So I talked to some guy who've been in the RC game a long time and they had some intersting things to say. Apparently cutting sections out of servo wires has been known to cause some glitching. So was talking to a local heli guy who is deep in toys and we managed to come up with a better idea.

Now I'm thinking the most professional way possible to get the wires to be the right length is to remove the casing of the servos/gyro, cut the wires to lenth and solder the shorter wires directly to the circuit boards.

A couple other things came out of our conversations too. Things that probably effect every Trex. Things like the sharp edges of carbon body slicing into wires under vibration if you run the wires over an unsupported edge (not mine...I use loom). Also the main gear and tail pinion mesh is not correct. The holes holding the tail pinion block need to be filed out ever so slightly in order to lower the block and get a proper gear mesh. Look at yours I bet your pinion is too high on the lower gear. We also had an extended discussion about batteries, but nothing really conclusive came from that. Amps vs Ma/h, more amps sound better, but the esc can only pull 30 say 40 burst and the higher amping batteries have slightly less ma/h. Which way to go? I'm gonna go with the higher amps I think. I dont think fly time will be effected overly much and more amp burst may be good as the wires probably arn't 100% effecient.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
bbking9

Took my SE with all servos and ESC attached and had them cut and recrimp all the servo wires. Using HS56s on the cyclics and the LHS guy (been doing this for years) said the wire stands on the 56s were so thin he ended up crimping and soldering in the pins - just to make sure. The ESC wires are thicker - so crimping only worked just fine.

I now have zero extra wire dangling in my SE and all wires are inside the frame - no wires outside. very clean.

I did not shorten the GY401 gyro wires for resale purposes. just folded them on top of each other and heatshrinked it tight into a small bundle.

$10 for the labor. Well worth it to me.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Skiddz

You guys are going at it the hard way. Head over to [link=http://www.hansenhobbies.com]Hansen Hobbies[/link] and pick up some new connectors and a crimp tool. Should take less than 2 mins/connector to pull the pins, cut the wires to length, crimp on new pins and insert 'em back into the connector.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM
bbking9

The hard way ?? I thought my way was the easiest. Pay $10 for an expert to do it. Dont get any easier than that.

Buying the pins and a crimping tool will be a lot more than $10.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Heli_Harry

I used HS65 MG's and my lead lengths were almost perfect

The little bit I did have I just Z folded and used 1 small zip-tie

That way if I ever swap them out (I'm thinking about putting digitals in some day) I wont have to replace the leads because they don't fit in my next project.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Dynamic

lol @ resale value. Don't sell your toys, thats what drug addicts do.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Jellyson

Leads to the gyro should be longer so as to not transfer vibration to the gyro.
Coiling into a spiral is a nice idea...see:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41037.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	575589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94662.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	575590