Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Bought an x400

Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an x400

Alright I know this is the trex forum but an x400 is dang close. hopefully there are some x400 members here. I just bought one and was i have heard the center hub and tail blade grips are faulty and break for no reason. Where is a good place to get these, and are they really necessary to install before first flight? I have heard they can break and destroy your heli. Thank for the help, i'll start my build christmas day, once i'm allowed to open the box
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Default RE: Bought an x400

Yeah I heard that too and it scared me so I got the metal MX400Pro head parts and put a TRex tail rotor on mine. It may not be safer but I feel better about it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25344.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	575648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92858.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	575649   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26208.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	575650  
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM

i'm tempted to get the trex tail and then i can use larger blades as welll right? (using rex blade grips) How much did you end up paying for the alu head? Where did you get it btw? I have been looking at towerhobbies but hboping they will match price with grandrc.

Would you mind puttin up some more pictures, your setup maybe? thanks again
Old 12-12-2006, 12:52 AM

The MX400Pro came out of the box with the aluminum center hub which is the part that is weak in plastic, and it also had the aluminum swash. I added the blade grips, about 40 bucks for the set, and the flybar frame, about 15 I think. On the rack at the LHS I found them. Next will be the Bell-Hiller mixers and the washout control levers in aluminum--next payday maybe.
Yeah, Align packs an"upgrade kit" for the XL that includes a long aluminum boom, a long CF boom, a long drive belt, a rudder pushrod, and a set of 325mm fiber blades, all for about 40-45 dollars. It fits fine, but I had to fabricate some shims for the blade grips (in the photo I'm using some nylon washers from the LHS, but now I'm using some Delrin ones that I made up on the lathe). The pic shows the heli with the 325mm blades, it is extremely stable with these blades. Now I'm running yelllow 315s and it seems a bit more maneuverable with these.
Now this heli is a mechanical ccpm, it has a pitch tray that carries the aileron servo up and down. I think the current MX400 is eccpm, three servos 120 degees apart?
I'm using the SPektrum DX6/AR6000 with 4 HS65HB servos and an Align RCE500x gyro, it holds well enough for me, I'm just learning.

Oh yeah a 2250 mAh 15C battery, and I swapped the original 25 amp esc for the helimax 40 amp unit because the smaller one would overheat after 12-14 minutes of hovering and it would start cutting out momentarily. No probs with the bigger unit.
The heli weighs over 760 grams! Heli-Pig!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36748.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	575723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22129.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	575724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39109.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	575725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47128.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	575726  
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4327&rd=1&rd=1

That is what i bought, i know some of the parts are cheap but after reading a billion reviews it seems it will be just fine to learn on...upgrades and better/more precise part will come in time. Thanks for the pictures, they always help!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Yeah, it will be good to learn on for sure. But you really should replace at least the center hub and flybar seesaw with the metal MX400 Heli-Max parts just for safety.
And I found out that a lot of the ARK white plastic parts have a bad reputation for being too brittle--a lot of people fixed this by boiling them in water for ten minutes or so, it is supposed to soften them up and make them less breakable. Landing gear bows, tail blades, etc.
It doesn't look like my MX400Pro has this problem but I changed the tail blades for the Trex yellow ones anyway, they were only 5 bux, that tail rotor is turning 10,000 rpm.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Hi,

I bought the exact same one. I had earlier bought an assembled x-400. rc-expert sends a metal swashplate and I believe metal tail grips too. So I'll recommend that you wait till you receive your item.

By the way I did some flying with the original plastic parts and had no problem. The machine seems to be pretty robust, it has a rigid metal frame anyway. I even crashed once on soft grass from about ten feet and suffered only broken main blades and a bent stabilizer rod. There was no other damage. On another earlier occasion, the main blades hit a brick wall at takeoff speed and broke instantly. There was no other damage in this case either. I was so impressed I bought another kit.

Overall what rc-expert is selling appears to be quite good. But then I am a newbie and could easily be wrong. Thanks

Rajesh
Old 12-12-2006, 04:05 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input guys, I have heard about the boiling and plan to do that. Do the trex tail blades fit in without modification or do you have to buy trex tail grips as well? I plan to buy the center hub but i hadn't heard about the seesaw?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM

The tail blades fit without modificaton, they are about 5 mm larger in disk diameter but the attach points are the same. I'd get the metal tail hub for sure, and on mine the plastic tailblade grips were so loose on their feathering shafts that I just couldn't stand it and I bought a whole SE tail rotor assembly and pitch slider. The slider especially works much better than the stock unit, and the bling value is high.
Heli-max packs the metal main hub and the flybar seesaw in one bag as a set, but there seems to be two types, one which has ball bearings at the seesaw pivots and one (like mine[&o]) which uses little bushings. Very little bushings.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM

I understand that the plastic parts are looser because they are going to be lesser quality for sure. But did yours break or did you get the aluminum because of the bling value and for better performance...like I said this will be a first heli for me so i'm no so worried about bling or high performance.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:57 PM

I didn't give them a chance to break. When I saw what they looked like and read the threads on the ARK400, I got scared and changed out the tailfeathers before the first flight. I hover in my little apartment so I didn't want to take the chance of having bits of tail flying around...
It came with the metal parts in the head already.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM

I had a question, what trex parts can I use...what i mean is, is the the trex 450 or 450xl or 600? I have been looking at getting just the oem trex parts (not aluminum parts yet).

Either that or buying just the x400 aluminum center hub. That pretty much all I need to avoid the major damages of light crashed right, i mean thats usually what goes out and causes alot of problems.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 AM

Not the 600, it's bigger.
Most everything on the 450 TRex models is interchanegable mostly with the MX400. THe head parts are different, but you can replace the whole head from one to the other if you want, the shaft sizes are the same. There are several options for the tail, all will fit the MX400. The main gear and tail drive gear are different and can't be interchanged.
TRex blades need shims to fit the HEliMax grips, and you need the long tailboom kit to use any blades over about 288 mm. The TRex kit fits and is cheaper than the HeliMax long boom kit.
I haven't tried the landing gear bows, the attach points are different but I'm sure they could be made to fit. Again, TRex is cheaper.
THe Trex canopy fits but I prefer the plastic of the Helimax canopy. THe Trex canopy comes with a transparent windshield included, separeate purchase from Helimax, Trex is cheaper.
You can put the ALign 430L motor in, it fits. But the HeliMax 25 amp speed controller is flakey, she canna take the strain, Captain. I wouldn't use it with the 430L.
I think if I were you I'd get the HeliMax center hub and seesaw and the metal tail hub and TRex tailblaades right now. THen go fly until I crash, then replace the broken HeliMax or ARK stuff with TRex.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:28 AM

is a aluminum seesaw necessary? I haven't read anything wrong with them i don't think? I think i will get the center hub and tail hub but why trex tail blades, cheaper? haha this is kind of making me wish i bought a trex, but i have also read that x400's are more stable, oh well i'll have fun either way thanks for all your help!

Best prices I can find, I looked at the trex tail case but it is more expense so i might as well stick with x400. It doesn't seem that center hubs come with the seesaw from grandrc, If you think i should get one there is a pretty good deal on ebay for an alu seesaw and full pro rotor head set for cheap.
http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/18978
http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/12395
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM

The only thing about the seesaw is that there are two types, one with ball bearings and one with bushings and I think the hub and seesaw have to match. So it is possible that your plastic seesaw would fit the metal hub but I would need to actually assemble them together to be able to tell for sure. I'd get these parts in a set just to be safe.
I got the TRex tail blades because they were yellow! (and I was scared about the ARK white plastic rumors).
The MX400 is stable for sure, especially with the longer Align blades, and yet very responsive.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM

What is the difference with the regular seesaw and the pro seesaw with the x400? http://www.grandrc.com/x_4001

If I want to use trex parts for the head what parts do i need. I figure i'll use stock x400 parts till they break then i'll put in the trex parts(not aluminum) then when those break put in aluminum for the broken peices.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 PM

I looked at the site and I can't see any difference in the pictures. I can tell you that the MX400 kit comes with plastic center hub and seesaw and the MX400Pro kit that I got has the metal hub and seesaw. Then I heard there are 2 types of metal hub and seesaw, one with ball bearings and one without, but I can't remember where I heard this. Of course mine has the bushings not the bearings, and this was the one place that nearly failed when I first ran it up, because the tiny screws that form the pivots weren't properly tightened.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 AM

That is one of the main reasons i bought a kit was because i have heard of sub par assemblies. I have read taht the bearing center hub is actually weaker because of the room needed for the bearings. I havn't heard anything bad about the bearing seesaw. Man such a mental debate what to buy! should I fly stock till it breaks and hope it doesn't break something else, or do I upgrade right away, do I go trex, do i go trex aluminum, oh the choices haha!