Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trex Build Question >

Trex Build Question

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex Build Question

Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex Build Question

Hello, newbie here. I don't know what really to do here. I have assembled my first trex 450xl (1st heli) and I believe this is called the flybar control set that I am having problems with I think. I have uploaded this pic hopefully explaining where I believe a problem is. The flybar control set and flybar have play in them which allows it so slide back and forth. It seems it will be off balance with this play in it. I just can't seem to figure out what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

William
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88097.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	581294  
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Trex Build Question

I checked mine, there is no play. So you probably put the blue arms on backwards. Look closely at the diagram and make sure looks like the diagram. I know you said it seated properly, but this has to be the problem.

Larry
Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

I agree, if they are seated correctly on both sides and you squeeze them together when you tighten down the set screws there should be no play.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 PM

Well ,I have an xl and an se,I have the same play on my xl but none on the se.
It does not seem to affect the way it tracks or balances, spins smooth as silk.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:56 AM

There should be no play. This will cause vibrations on your heli. You need to squeeze together and then tighten the grub screw, it will be helpful to grown a third hand before attempting this.

If you cant work it out download the finless build videos http://www.helifreak.com/forum-95.html

Brett
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all who have replied. I have tried to squeeze them together and that just doesn't seem to work out well. As stated, one would need a third hand or more to accomplish this. I am going to take apart again and try some more. Again thanks for help. At least I know I am not missing any parts there.

William
Old 12-22-2006, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: w_keith

Thanks for all who have replied. I have tried to squeeze them together and that just doesn't seem to work out well. As stated, one would need a third hand or more to accomplish this. I am going to take apart again and try some more. Again thanks for help. At least I know I am not missing any parts there.

William
Are you POSITIVE you have the plastic flybar arms correctly? I've corrected this assembly blunder on numerous noob builds. Are you POSITIVE you have the metal arms facing the right way? That is, they are opposite of each other in terms of length, long end vs short end are "next" to each other. See attached pic.
j
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27083.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	581783  
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 PM

Well I know these are opposite one another as far as the different lengths are. I am pretty confident in that and pretty competent when it comes to building things and have some sense. Again thanks for the input though.

Will
Old 12-23-2006, 11:35 PM

I have the same play in mine....so let me know what u find out

Thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: w_keith

snip> I have assembled my first trex 450xl (1st heli) <snip

William
Hee hee you are going to have some kind of funnn
wish I could be there to watch....
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 AM

Weird, I literally just finished building this part of my new 450Xl CDE and noticed the same exact type of play. It's just like w_keith described it. I looked at the diagram several times and then back at what I built, and it's exactly the same as the picture shows.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 AM

Does this mean that Align has some problems with some of these helis? I don't see how this could be on some and not on others. I know they changed some dimensions of some parts, ie the flybar itself is longer. At least they had edited the measurements in the manual I have. I know the heli will not be balanced and stable with it this way. Again thanks for all the comments, I am still trying to figure it out.

Will
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: RBCCONT

Well ,I have an xl and an se,I have the same play on my xl but none on the se.
It does not seem to affect the way it tracks or balances, spins smooth as silk.
I think this is the key report--try it, see if it works, keep monitoring it, as long as it flys well and isn't coming apart, don't worry about it.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM

I guess you are right. I don't know anything else to do at this point. Again thanks for info and input.

Will
Old 12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Mine flew a few times with play in that area no problems that I noted. I took it into the hobby shop to buy some alu. upgrades and the guy at the shop said thats too much play loosened a grub screw squeezed the parts together and retightened. No third hand needed.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to squeeze the assembly together on my XL too when I built it over a year ago. It didn't require a 3rd hand to do it either...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 PM
haz
My Feedback: (17)

Add thin washers to remove the play i had the same play on mine when i put it together last year.There was a post on runryder.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM

No big deal. Most XL users have this play unless they upgrade to metal for both parts. Squeezing the system together is an option but I'd hate to have it come LOOSE mid flight due to the tension, you're prestressing those parts when you do that, and one little set screw is not exactly a solid lock. I have about 1/2 a mm, maybe 3/4 of a mm of play in mine and have no trouble with it at all. Some folks have reported more play than that but usually could reduce it by carefully snugging the bars into the plastic, they just hadn't gotten them in tight to start with.

realistically, the amount of play that will be there in most cases is not enough to matter in the slightest, even if it wasn't prone to balancing out during flight. If nothing else you could use it as a way to balance the flybar, if after spinning down it's slid to one side more than the other that side is heavier.