Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Aluminum frame and Lipos warning...

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Aluminum frame and Lipos warning...

Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Raserx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum frame and Lipos warning...

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on RCuniverse. I generally just read lots of threads but today I figured I had better post.

I was tinkering (trying to figure out my swash setup) with my Trex. I had the battery(2200 mah 18c lipo) mounted on the heli so I could plug it in to check linkage movements etc. Then I would unplug it make a few adjustments and so on. As I was moving the rotor around by hand, the battery charging plug (not the motor plug) suddenly shorted out against the frame. The was a bright flash of light and big plume of smoke. I immediately grabbed the battery and pulled it away from the heli. Thankfully, the short was interupted when I pulled the battery away from the heli. I set the battery outside on the cement driveway for saftey reasons. How or should I dispose of the battery? Can I put a new plug on it? Should I even try?

Her is a pic of how I had it mounted.

Her is a pic of the damage.

I see the error of my ways in mounting the battery the way I did. But, I'm still not sure how it grounded out. The real danger is, it could happen anytime I install the battery. I have always known to be careful of the battery pos/neg plug just never considered the charging plug. Be warned.....Now I need to find some kind of plug cover.

P.S. Anybody have advice on why one of my servos (all the same brand) would move more than the other two in ccpm? I have a JR x347 radio with CCPM enabled. and the aileron servo moves more than the others, which tilts the swash as I add pitch/throttle. I just can't seem to figure out why....suggestion?

***Just figured out I needed to set my T adj. to compensate for the differences...DOH!
Thanks Guys
Old 12-22-2006, 01:32 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum frame and Lipos warning...

Test each cell of the battery using a voltmeter and the charging plug and see how bad it is. If you are really below 3 volts in a cell, send it back to the manuf to be rebuilt. If you are not below three volts, try charging it outside with a balancer. Watch for swelling.

If you really just want to throw it away, put it in salt water overnight and throw in trash.