Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Ok, I want a T-Rex...  how's this set up? >

Ok, I want a T-Rex... how's this set up?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Ok, I want a T-Rex... how's this set up?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:22 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I want a T-Rex... how's this set up?

Guys (n gals),

Sorry, but here's another "is this the right rex for me?" thread....

Much to the chagrin of my g/f, my neighbour got me hooked on helis. It's my fault, I started him on RC with airplanes. A few months goes by and wham, he shows up at home with two Blade CXs. I promptly borrow one and we've been chasing the ladies around the house and scaring the neighbourhood cats ever since. I've flown his BCPP a bit and can hover and maneuver it, but it is incredibly squirley to say the least. I've been researching on here and the general feeling seems to be that a Trex is a better flyer than the BCPP and in the long run would be a better deal to get. I am by no means a great stick, but I can fly the CX with no probs and the BCPP to some degree. Would a Trex be a good idea?

I was specifically looking at this combo package: http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...number=335COM2

T-Rex 450 SE Superior Edition PLUS Futaba GY401 Gyro, PLUS Futaba 9650 Servo for awesome tail hold, PLUS (THREE) HS-65 Servos PLUS E-Series Carbon Molded Blades! Even at our prices, separately these would add up to over $820. Newest Superior Edition T-Rex VERSION TWO, with new version 430LF, new metal tail belt pulleys, new swash. Carbon frame with silver finish, CCPM control system, 430LF 3550kv Brushless motor, 35A Align Brushless controller, and all of the metal upgrades as shown - head to tail. Head, grips, swash, control arms and levers, tail case, tail lever, tail grips - ALL of the T-Rex upgrade parts are included. A very cool package and a very good price! Frames are 90% assembled, complete head, swash, washout, seesaw and mixing arms are all assembled on mast, metal tail case is fully assembled with slider, grips, lever all installed. Two sets of main blades, very rigid tail blades. As with all T-Rex 450XLs the kits includes the small aluminum case.
The price seems good and from what I've read on here, the equip too. Any problems with heliproz?

I have a 9303 I can use and would pick up another receiver, obviously. I'm not into 3D stuff with these (yet?), so I would assume that the motor and ESC would be more than sufficient and still give some room to play later on. Trex tuning seems to have good tips to tame down the Trex while getting used to it. It looks like an incredible aircraft to fly.

Also, I realize this is a newbie question for someone getting a helicopter like this, but what would be a good charger/balancer to get? I don't do too much e-flying. I currently have a couple of TP 2100 batteries that I use for my stryker and fw190, but just use a basic lipo charger with them and no balancer.

Man I can't believe I'm "de-funding" my 50cc Extra for these da#n contraptions... you people make me sick..

Appreciated as always!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Ok, I want a T-Rex... how's this set up?

The BCPP is a bit twitchy to fly. If you put the original blade grips on without the bell-hiller upgrade it is easier to fly. Saying that which is better to learn on? I would say the t-rex if you do not mind paying a bit more when you crash. I learned on the blade cp when they first came out. I beat that little guy into the dirt. They are cheap to fix and have a lot of part support. I got to the point where I could loop and roll it and nose in hover. When I did move up to the t-rex it was easier to fly. Everything about it was easier, but if you added up the crashes I had on my blade learning that would translate into a good amount of money if I was flying the t-rex. I have since moved up to a 50 size and it is even easier to fly than the t-rex. A simulator is also a wise investment. I did not get one untill I was doing loops, flips, etc but it has paid for itself and then some. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:40 PM

ckoelliker,

Thanks for the info and advice. I should have said I have AFPD sim and I do fly that quite a bit. A sim is the best investment anyone can make, IMO.

I guess the reason I ask is there's a lot of posts on here saying if you're bitten by the heli-bug and will be in it for the long haul, getting a trex over a blade cpp might be a better investment (if you can use the word investment in this hobby ).

I like the idea of using my 9303 as well, I guess.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The combo is a good setup and good price. I fly that setup. If you are convinced a CP Pro is not for you, go for it. I like to fly both.

It sounds like you have the battery. I also have not bothered to get a balancer, if you don't press your packs too hard it is not a problem. I use the Astro Flight 409 charger.

You might want to check out a thread I put on the blade forum on how to make a CP Pro more stable, but think how jeolous your friend will be when you have a Trex.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM

There are other factors as well. Where are you going to fly, how much room do you have, etc. The t-rex is definitely better in all respects it is just more exspensive to fix. If you are crashing a lot you would probably spend what a cp costs in repairs. I could quote my wife when I ask her which one she likes. " I want them both" You could always buy the trex and start looking for a used blade that you can beat up. Also The trex handles wind a lot better than the blade. If you are flying outside it is alot harder to fly the blade in windy conditions. It can handle the wind but I would not reccomend learning in the wind. I guess my over all point would be that if you go the blade route and can fly it pretty well then moving up to the t-rex should be pretty easy.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:58 PM

Good points being brought up. This heli will have to be flown mostly outdoors and it's nearly impossible to find a no wind situation. So in that regards, the trex would be a better choice.

I do love the "get both".. that's probably what I'll wind up doing anyway! I like the idea of getting a used blade cp or ccp... thanx for the help!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM

hey, i want a trex too, just alittle difference though. i already have a blade cp (now basically a cpp), and have already talked to my lhs about a custom combo for a trex. now my question is, when should i get the rexy? i can already do stationary rolls with my blade pretty well, i dunno if i should attack inverted on teh blade or get the rex and do it that way? i've already started trying inverted with the blade. can keep it about 2 or 3 seconds inverted during a stationary roll. so... when do you guys recommend getting a trex?
here's my custom combo for a rex, may change a few things:

trex 450 SE,
gy 401 w/ s9650.
3x hs65 MG (switch for 3x brand new s3103's)
align 2100mah (i think) batt.
align charger.

i might change the batt and the charger to tp's. that's gonna add alittle cash. for the above setup, my LHS can give it to me for around 900 CAD.
wat's a good time to get it?

ps. oh forgot to say, i'm 15yo and don't have loads of cash. i do have a few hundred left after i get the rex. but i only deliver the newspapers and don't get much a month.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:10 PM

I would think you would be ready to move on. Just take it slow at first and make sure you have it set up correctly before you start punching holes in the sky.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: chopperdudes

hey, i want a trex too, just alittle difference though. i already have a blade cp (now basically a cpp), and have already talked to my lhs about a custom combo for a trex. now my question is, when should i get the rexy? i can already do stationary rolls with my blade pretty well, i dunno if i should attack inverted on teh blade or get the rex and do it that way? i've already started trying inverted with the blade. can keep it about 2 or 3 seconds inverted during a stationary roll. so... when do you guys recommend getting a trex?
here's my custom combo for a rex, may change a few things:

trex 450 SE,
gy 401 w/ s9650.
3x hs65 MG (switch for 3x brand new s3103's)
align 2100mah (i think) batt.
align charger.

i might change the batt and the charger to tp's. that's gonna add alittle cash. for the above setup, my LHS can give it to me for around 900 CAD.
wat's a good time to get it?

ps. oh forgot to say, i'm 15yo and don't have loads of cash. i do have a few hundred left after i get the rex. but i only deliver the newspapers and don't get much a month.

It's nice to see that I'm twice your age and I'm buying the same d*mn thing... nice to see I'll never grow up!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever"

Cheers!