Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 t-rex se or trex xl >

t-rex se or trex xl

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

t-rex se or trex xl

Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-rex se or trex xl

hi i am thinking of buying myself a t-rex but don't now witch one to go for.
Please could some 1 help me out and tell me what stuff i need to go with it.

thanks mark[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: t-rex se or trex xl

Get the best one you can afford. They are both good, I prefer the carbon SE myself
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 PM

I would fet the SE first choice then the SA

the parts are interchangable.

I would Not go with the XL, since the SA is a bettter value.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
My Feedback: (19)

The TREX SA is a nice compromise. I would avoid the XL. The design is a hack.

Cheers!
Lee
Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 PM

So what's wrong with the 450xl. They seem to me to be on the same design. The frame on the se is graphite and the xl plastic (so what). I say buy what you can afford. Then upgrade it to kick the se's ass.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was helping set up the plastic frame for a guy yesterday. My SE the battery fits in the nose under the canopy, the plastic frame is set up different, the battery had to be strapped on under the gear. It looked like crap and functionally isn't good. The SE is worth the money, and why upgrade a plastic heli to be as good as an SE when you can just buy and SE and be done with it. The upgrades would cost way more than the SE purchase price. Seems like a waste to me, but then that is just me.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

I was helping set up the plastic frame for a guy yesterday. My SE the battery fits in the nose under the canopy, the plastic frame is set up different, the battery had to be strapped on under the gear. It looked like crap and functionally isn't good. The SE is worth the money, and why upgrade a plastic heli to be as good as an SE when you can just buy and SE and be done with it. The upgrades would cost way more than the SE purchase price. Seems like a waste to me, but then that is just me.
I agree the SE is worth the money, but for me at least, its a lot easier to buy it a little at a time then all at once.... thats why I make payments instead of paying cash for my truck...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Hey Guys, I just got a T-rex SE for $395.10 (that's with shipping!) from PSGPS.com. It was shipped from Taiwan. It took 6 days to get to me In Virginia. It's the best deal I could find! I believe I used a discount code to get 10% off. Here it is: PSGPS
Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: trouthunterHeliFreak

So what's wrong with the 450xl. They seem to me to be on the same design. The frame on the se is graphite and the xl plastic (so what). I say buy what you can afford. Then upgrade it to kick the se's ass.
because you basically cant. the xl is just a plastic frame, head, and tail. the SE is carbon frame, aluminum head, and aluminum tail. upgrade the XL, and youll have a carbon fram, aluminum head, and aluminum tail.
plus, the XL+upgrades in the end will be way more expensive than just an SE, so why not save and get the better one in the first place?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM

The SE is the best deal in the long run.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM

I like what dacaur said, some of us have other hobbies (fly fishing) which come first. I also like to upgrade a piece at a time(as the johnny cash goes). One advantage to one piece ata time is you get the latest greatest version of the hop up parts. It also gives you time to shop around for the best prices and better parts to. There are better parts out there besides align.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Mark,
It all depends where your at. If you know how to fly a heli the SE is it. It's a great heli and you don't have to worry about it coming apart while throwing it around really hard. On the other hand it's expensive to crash. If your a reletive newbie I would go with the XL because plastic parts are cheap and your bound to buy a bunch of them. Save a little money on the XL and use it on your radio, servos and gyro.
Plastic head and tail parts aren't all bad. Yes, they explode when you hit the ground hard but they're so much cheaper to replace. Metal parts look cool, cost a fortune.... and still break. The thing with metal parts is that they might look OK after a crash and then fly apart the next flight.
Another thing to consider is that CF or aluminum framed helis are slightly more prone to radio gliching than non-conductive materials like plastic or fiberglass. Ferrite rings pretty much cure this but it's something to consider.
As far as the design of the frame the SE and SA are light years ahead of the XL. The XL frame kinda sucks. lot'o'linkage. It can be a royal pain to get everything adjusted just right. Where as the SE is all direct link and you won't have to worry about binding as much.
They are both good helis, the SE is better but the XL flies good and is super cheap to fix.