Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

One way main shaft has switch direction???

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

One way main shaft has switch direction???

Old 01-13-2007, 09:46 PM
DarkSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way main shaft has switch direction???

I'm new to helicopters and I've just graduated to a Trex after flying a couple Blade CP's. I was messing with my gyro when I hit a dual rate switch and the head spooled up (clocking me in the hand with the main blades no less). Any way, now the one way main shaft has switched directions! It free wheels in the opposite direction now. Maybe this is a simple question but I haven't a clue how that happened or how to fix it. I don't see anything in the manual as of yet. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: One way main shaft has switch direction???

either the bearing is installed the wrong way...one of the gears was installed backwards (not sure How htat could be done...) or the bearing stripped when you spooled it up
Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
DarkSkunk

Thanks for the response. That was definitely not what I wanted to hear, I hope its not broke. I don't think it was installed wrong because it came pre-assembled and I've flown it a number of times. I'm not sure how it got flip flopped. It works perfect in the opposite direction now which is even more odd. I'm not sure how that's possible but since I didn't build it (it was an SA-ARF) I'm not sure how it functions. My local hobby shop owner is a T-rex expert so I'll contact him further on how that could happen.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Perhaps you are confused, it should be free spinning in the forward direction. Check it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:59 PM
DarkSkunk

I think my thought process is good, because if you increase the throttle now it just spins the motor, trying to move them in the correct direction, but it just spins the 'clutch' or freewheel system (and slowly moves the blades in the correct direction). I can't imagine how the system could flip flop in the opposite direction.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
fox222

Replace the one way.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
cleveland

have you checked the main gear teeth and or engaugement of motor pinon to the main gear,i have crashed my rex heeps and have never damaged
the one way.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
DarkSkunk

When I get home tonight I'm going to do another full check in case I'm missing something, but as far as I could tell the other night, it flat out appeared to change its operating direction. It seems pretty crazy to me. I'm starting to get that feeling that I'm going to look like a fool when I figure it all out. Fortunately I have no pride so when I figure it out I'll post it.

Thanks for the input,
Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
the dog

if the motor is spooling up and the gears are spinning then you also could have a lost screw that goes throught the top of the shaft that holds blades on.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
DarkSkunk

I just triple checked everything including the screw mentioned. As best I can determine a troll came and switch the one way gear/bearing to the opposite direction. I'm dumbfounded, but am heading to an expert now. To be continued...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 PM
DarkSkunk

Conclusion: Although it appeared that the one way bearing was working in the opposite direction it was not entirely the case. Once my expert held the main gear and was able to turn the blades he explained that the one way bearing was stripped. I'm kind of sad about that because it didn't appear to hold up very well. I've only flown it about 5 times. What happened was that I accidentally flipped the idle up switch because somehow my DX6 (probably by me) assigned idle up to both of the upper switches (I was trying to switch between Standard Rate and Heading Hold on my gyro. It only ran for 1/2 a second and smacked my hand. Hopefully that is not a systemic problem and simply just a fluke break. The good news is, it was only about $10 with the tool included. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Raserx

Hey Dark,

I had something similar. The shaft that the beaing rides on got polished with use to the point that the bearing could barely grip (i.e. the shaft could spin the wrong way.
I took some scotchbrite (steelwool also might work) and roughed up the shaft the bearing rides around. once the finish was dulled the oneway bearing worked again...it was a quick fix and had me flying again in no time....FYI