Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

New Trex 450s

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trex 450s

Just when i thought i was gonna give up on helis, thanks too the Blade cp an the hobby shop owner telling me i could fly it. The g/g got me a Trex 450s for my b-day!!!! I built the main frame an im gonna get a radio some some this week, im think ill get the specktrum. How is this thing for a beginner. i could barely hover the blade cp indoors with no wind.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Default RE: New Trex 450s

Hey Player,
I have the 450s...Te best advice is patients. Take your time read alot (trextuning.com). The experts say its all in the set up. I had a few issues understanding ccpm and radio setup. But, time and patients has paid off. I'm flying without training gear and working on forward flight. The Heli is pretty durable. I had two mishaps and neither one was expensive $20 for the first one $7 for the second one.

Have fun..

Johnny
Old 01-15-2007, 01:53 PM

RASERX: Iv been going to that web site. Im confident on the initial servo set up. Not too sure about pitch curve settings. Maybe this is becuase i havent received my radio yet an i dont know what to look at?? Whats an economical Lipo an charger for this sucker???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Do not give up. The Trex is my first real heli and I am hovering successfully and working on some minor FF manuvers. It is all in the setup of the radio. I had my LHS owner who is now more of a flying buddy help me with my radio setup and this is the reason I am flying as well as I am. Try and get someone who knows what they are doing to help with the radio setup and you will be able to fly the Trex.

Tom
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Hey Player,

I bought my charger and batteries from RC-EXPERT.com. I have the align balance charger and the 18c 2200mah lipo's. I have had great luck so far...the charger and pack work great. Hope it helps.

P.S. The Charger is around $50 and the batteries are about $50 apiece (I have three). But, if you email or call them they will usually give you a better package deal....
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 AM

A properly set up T-Rex is easier to fly than the best possible Blade... but if it's not set up absolutely right, it can be anything up to unflyable. So do your reading, and if possible get someone good to look at it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM

This is the model TREX I'm thinking of getting. But am still pondering servos.

The video tutes I've watched suggest using hitec HS55's or HS65's for cyclic and possibly a hs56 for tail. I've noticed the aluminium frame in the 450s seems to have a single mounting hole each side for the servo - which would seem to match the HS55's but the HS65's have 2 holes per side!

Can someone tell me if the HS55's are ok for the 450S ?

Also - I know there is a lot of talk about the futaba GY401 gyro - but I simply will nat be able to strech my budget that far.. maybe in the future.
Seeing I'm a semi advanced beginner, what would be a good budget Heading hold gyro for me?

Is there a difference between tail lock and head lock gyros or are they the same thing just different terminology...

Any help appreciated...
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM

HS55s will work, you're probably better off with Blue Bird 306BB servos though. Cheaper, faster, stronger, more accurate. They're also sold as some Waypoint model.

If you can't afford a 401, try to find a used one. Seriously, try very very hard to get a 401 before you buy anything else. If you truly can't, then the Align/Telebee/EFlite gyro (it's out there under a lot of names) is OK but a right pain to set up. The GY240 is cheaper than the 401 but not by that much, and is a reasonable alternative.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Thanks Andrew - will try to find a 2nd hand gyro - but they still fetch a good price. Never heard of blue bird servos so will sus them out as well.

Edit: Yep - the blue Bird BMS-306 seem much cheaper but a little less power ??? Anyone else use these? A bit harder to get here in Oz...
Does the BB on the end make any difference over the plain 306 versions ?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 AM

BB means ball bearing... which does make a bit of a difference to the accuracy. However, I flew 731s for a long while, which don't have the ball bearings, and they were fine.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Well andrew - I digress but had some good luck today!

I purchased a Thunder Tiger lipo charger off ebay today for just $30 from a guy selling his heli parts individually.
Turns out he lived 10min down the road - so pickup was good!

LOL - he ended up giving me all his left over parts - which included;

1 x complete ARK x400 Heli
4 x jr NES371 servos
1 x hitec hs55 servo
blade blancer
pitch gague
new set of carbon fibre and std rex tail blades
and a thunder tiger 2100MaH 15C 11.1V lipo

Wow - not bad egh! Top bloke..

Now my questions - to anyone ...

1) are the NES371 servos good enough for a REX450s ? Could I get away with having the 3 NES371's on the cyclic and the HS55 on the tail
(given I'm a beginner and will be just hovering/learning and no 3D for quite some time - if ever..)

NES371 Specifications
21.5 x 11.5 x 22mm - Weight 9g - Speed 0.23 sec/60? - Torque 1.3Kg.cm

2) The X400 heli is not CCPM but std cyclic - what's this heli like ? Should I not bother about a rex and get a motor, ESC and gyro forthe X400 instead or still aim at getting the rex?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 PM

X400 is OK, you could set that up and be flying... just make sure you can get parts before going to far down that road. You can put a T-Rex head on that frame if you want.

I'd actually put a 371 on the tail as well, I think they're a bit better than the HS55. Not as fast, but much more accurate.