Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Questions for all you T-Rex fellas.... >

Questions for all you T-Rex fellas....

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Questions for all you T-Rex fellas....

Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for all you T-Rex fellas....

Sorry in advance for the long post, just really need your input/opinion on this. Thanks so much in advance.

I am looking into getting a T-Rex SE version 2. I had the LHS price it out for me and all total before tax came to $920.00. That includes...

T-Rex SE V2 (with 430 BL motor and 35x ESC)
Hitec HS 65MG x3
Futaba GY401
Futaba 9650
DX6
Superbrain charger (can't remember the model though)
2200 mAh batteries x2 (I think he quoted the Align brand batts)
Training gear

I am pretty sure that's all of it. Is that a good deal? I think it is based on the many places I looked at online, either that or I am not looking at the right sites Also, is there anything I am missing that I would need to start on this heli?

Last question and most important.....How hard is it to set up this heli, to include assembly of heli, installing the electronics and trimming out the DX6? I am new to helis, very new. I have a CX2 that I have been using and learning on and granted I don't get aggressive with it, it is starting to bore me out. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this deal right now is my doubt that I won't be able to set this up in a way where it would be tame enough for a newb like myself to handle. I know it won't be anything like a CX2 but from what I understand the Rex could be set up to be far more tame and stable than a BCPP which is why I am leaning towards a T-Rex. So do you all think a newbie like myself can set this up RIGHT? My prior RC experience is 9 months in Nitro only (no electrics) and all of that time is on my cars and trucks, no planes or helis.

I can handle the frustration of learning, crashing as I learn but I do want to have a chance. If I attempt to set this up and for whatever reason screw something up to where it doesn't even give me a chance to even get of the ground to try and learn, then I know I will get really frustrated and that I don't want to happen. So I will say that if the majority of the advice is to wait a while 'til I learn some more or that it is too hard for a newbie to set up then I will wait. I just have to wonder though, as a newb, how much can I really learn from a CX2 as far as setting up a heli or trimming out the radio. I am almost sure it is nothing like a T-Rex set up.

Again, sorry for the long post and I thank you in advance for any info you all can give me.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Questions for all you T-Rex fellas....

As long as you follow the instructions supplied with the heli you should be fine. Make sure you put the fly bar weights on as far out as they'll go and it'll be tame as a kitten.

I can't comment on the DX6, but the heli and electrics choice is as good a combo as you'll get.

Remember, head speed is your friend. More head speed means more stability. Also small stick movements. Practise on your CX2 making smaller and smaller movements to keep it still. Also use it to practise hovering with the nose facing you where some of the controls are reversed.

p.s. Some of us "fellas" aren't...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Karyn

As long as you follow the instructions supplied with the heli you should be fine. Make sure you put the fly bar weights on as far out as they'll go and it'll be tame as a kitten.

I can't comment on the DX6, but the heli and electrics choice is as good a combo as you'll get.

Remember, head speed is your friend. More head speed means more stability. Also small stick movements. Practise on your CX2 making smaller and smaller movements to keep it still. Also use it to practise hovering with the nose facing you where some of the controls are reversed.

p.s. Some of us "fellas" aren't...
Karyn--Sorry for that part in the title[sm=red_smile.gif] I know this might sound like a stupid question to an experienced flier, but how do you set it up to get more head speed or less depending on what you want it to do? Or do you mean just more throttle stick for more head speed?

I can hover nose in with my CX2. Albeit it may not be perfectly steady, but I can hold it there for like a few minutes. But I am still using my CX2 as much as possible to keep getting more practice. I know for sure one thing that helped me out with my CX2 is getting rid of the ratchet feel on the left stick of the TX. I don't know why but that really made it hard for me to make as little stick movements as possible.

Thanks so much for the help. Any more advice please feel free to add.[8D]
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM

I have one suggestion don't buy the super brain I have heard bad things about them I have been into r/c cars forever and they were not that good then so I would stay away from it. There are many other better chargers out there for cheaper. I use the FMA Direct 4s charger cost around $50. And I have heard goos things about the thunder pro.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM

I know the feeling of wanting a bigger ship after flying the CX2 -- I received a CX2 as a X-mas gift and after hours of flying followed by subsequent crashes and rebuliding I too beacme bored with the mundane -- Just this past weekend I bought a T-REX 450SA complete with Futaba TX, HS 56HG servos and and an assortment of xtra goodies suggested by the LHS -- I have been studying the life out of the muti functions of this new found love and have so far hovered in my garage on two different occasion for about 3-5 seconds each !!!!! WOW what a rush this thing will be when skills and knowledge increase. I can tell you from experience that that the CX2 offers little if no help in TX function other than limited skill proficiency in adapting the mimimum requirements of stick control --- which have proven to be of little benefit in a tail rotor craft ... even with Giro compensation -- I hope to be, weather providing, outdoors soon to have more "room to breath" for continued flight experience --- Good luck with your new REX - I look forward to hearing of your experiences as you move into a new realm of flight !!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: trouthunterHeliFreak

I have one suggestion don't buy the super brain I have heard bad things about them I have been into r/c cars forever and they were not that good then so I would stay away from it. There are many other better chargers out there for cheaper. I use the FMA Direct 4s charger cost around $50. And I have heard goos things about the thunder pro.
Thanks for the heads up on the charger. I will see what else he has to offer as far as chargers then.

ORIGINAL: fr8brkr

I know the feeling of wanting a bigger ship after flying the CX2 -- I received a CX2 as a X-mas gift and after hours of flying followed by subsequent crashes and rebuliding I too beacme bored with the mundane -- Just this past weekend I bought a T-REX 450SA complete with Futaba TX, HS 56HG servos and and an assortment of xtra goodies suggested by the LHS -- I have been studying the life out of the muti functions of this new found love and have so far hovered in my garage on two different occasion for about 3-5 seconds each !!!!! WOW what a rush this thing will be when skills and knowledge increase. I can tell you from experience that that the CX2 offers little if no help in TX function other than limited skill proficiency in adapting the mimimum requirements of stick control --- which have proven to be of little benefit in a tail rotor craft ... even with Giro compensation -- I hope to be, weather providing, outdoors soon to have more "room to breath" for continued flight experience --- Good luck with your new REX - I look forward to hearing of your experiences as you move into a new realm of flight !!!

Hey fr8brkr, was the CX2 your first heli as well? If so, how would you rate the setting up of the T-Rex from a newbie's standpoint...dificult, not too bad, very easy? If at all possible I want to set this up myself so I also gain knowledge as far as how the thing goes together and works, which is why I haven't asked my LHS yet if they could put it together for me.

Thanks again you all for the info/advice. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Always assemble the heli yourself unless you know youre a total klutz. You learn things by doing it yourself that the best instructor could never teach you.

Check other posts in this forum for a link to the "Finless Videos". They are very good and take you step by step through the entire process from unpacking the box to final setup.

The TRex can be an incredibly stable heli. The flybar weights I mentioned before will slow down its control response and make it very forgiving. As you are already used to hovering the CX2 you need to have the confidence to "jump" the Rex into the air and it will sit in a stable hover easily. Remember the main difference between a coax and a single rotor. let go of the stick on a coax and it should stay still, a single rotor machine will keep moving and its down to you to stop it. This is where the small stick movements come in as most beginers over compensate and end up losing it.

You adjust head speed in the throttle curve in the TX. Unlike your CX2 the throttle stick works both the motor speed and the main blade pitch. You should raise or lower the heli by changing pitch, not changing throttle. The throttle and pitch curves in the TX settings allow you to set how much of each you get at any stick possition. Again the "Finless Videos" will show you how to set this and explain better than me what they do.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM

The CX2 was indeed my first --- While shopping for parts at a LHS I was drawn to the 450SA that was displayed as a complete assembled set-up by the owner whom which has 35 yrs experience as buliding as well as a Vietnam Vet heli pilot --. I decided that it was worth the chance to upgrade even though lack the experience required to fly the craft -- I have no problem with the mechanical ability to repair anything that may go wrong ------ Thats called a learning curve and I happen to think thats part of the excitement that goes along with the hobby --- I am simply spending time researching all the aspects of the rex before trying much in the way of test flying.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Karyn

Always assemble the heli yourself unless you know youre a total klutz. You learn things by doing it yourself that the best instructor could never teach you.

Check other posts in this forum for a link to the "Finless Videos". They are very good and take you step by step through the entire process from unpacking the box to final setup.

The TRex can be an incredibly stable heli. The flybar weights I mentioned before will slow down its control response and make it very forgiving. As you are already used to hovering the CX2 you need to have the confidence to "jump" the Rex into the air and it will sit in a stable hover easily. Remember the main difference between a coax and a single rotor. let go of the stick on a coax and it should stay still, a single rotor machine will keep moving and its down to you to stop it. This is where the small stick movements come in as most beginers over compensate and end up losing it.

You adjust head speed in the throttle curve in the TX. Unlike your CX2 the throttle stick works both the motor speed and the main blade pitch. You should raise or lower the heli by changing pitch, not changing throttle. The throttle and pitch curves in the TX settings allow you to set how much of each you get at any stick possition. Again the "Finless Videos" will show you how to set this and explain better than me what they do.

Good luck
Thanks for the great tips!! I will definitely try to find the video you mentioned. That and RADDs should help me a lot. I will be honest, at this point with my very limited experience I don't quite understand when you say raise or lower the heli by changing pitch. That is probably because the only heli I have messed with so far is my CX2, where like you say the CX2 will practically fly itself as far as hovering goes.

I am excited to make this jump and can't wait to get my new heli. Overall though, pricepoint wise do you think that I am getting a good deal?

Thanks again for all your input!

ORIGINAL: fr8brkr

The CX2 was indeed my first --- While shopping for parts at a LHS I was drawn to the 450SA that was displayed as a complete assembled set-up by the owner whom which has 35 yrs experience as buliding as well as a Vietnam Vet heli pilot --. I decided that it was worth the chance to upgrade even though lack the experience required to fly the craft -- I have no problem with the mechanical ability to repair anything that may go wrong ------ Thats called a learning curve and I happen to think thats part of the excitement that goes along with the hobby --- I am simply spending time researching all the aspects of the rex before trying much in the way of test flying.
So you got your heli fully assembled then, that is cool. At times I sit here thinking that finding one fully set up already would be so great and make my transition so much easier then again I feel putting it together myself will teach me a lot. I am just somewhat leary that I might screw something up assembling it and cause damage to it when I go to fly it the first time. I have friends who are into helis but they to are beginners, maybe just slightly ahead of me. The guy who owns the LHS was upfront and honest to me when he said that if I really insisted, he could put it together but that he doesn't have much heli experience as well. He could tear down and rebuild cars and trucks with his eyes closed but planes and helis are not his strong point. He did offer to contact some of the local experienced fliers for me though so that is cool.

Will keep you updated on how it goes. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM

jaanpla

Save your self the buyers remorse and buy a DX7... You'll kick yourself if you don't, trust me on this, I have 2 trex's and a DX6 that is 2 months old in the truck of my car ready to be sold cheap to my next flying buddy that is ready to upgrade...

I built an SE with a DX6 and changed to the DX7 and the additional curve points did make a huge flying difference...

The Servos in the DX7 are good, just to big and the DX6 servos are junk, anyway you look at it....

Spend an extra 10% and get a real Heli radio.

FYI! Do not get the "Airplane DX7" get the "Heli" version, the difference is that the switches are in different places that you will need to use on a heli...

Rob
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM

The DX6 is OK for a T-Rex, but only OK (just DO NOT use the servos that come with it). It's not a bad idea, but you'll be upgrading eventually.

The DX7 on the other hand is outright excellent, and for the price is the best. To beat it you have to spend over $1000... and even then you don't get the spread spectrum goodness (no channels, no shootdown, no glitching from interference).
Old 01-26-2007, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys! After I saw robmoney's post about the DX7 yesterday I called my LHS and asked the owner about his opinion as well. He is in total agreement with you guys, but said that he will still order the DX6 if I want it instead. I told him that I may not be able to swing the price difference right now and he said that if I could do an extra $35 on top of the original quote, he will give me the DX7 instead of the DX6!! So he is giving me the DX7 for $35 more than the DX6. I don't know how much the DX7 normally is but I think I am getting a good deal. He said he didn't mind at all considering how much I have spent at his shop last year with my cars and trucks and everything else Just hope he doesn't tell my wife that that is the reason for the price break[X(]

He said all my stuff should be in by next week. I also have a line on some help from one of the local fliers, only thing is his schedule won't free up until middle Feb. so it may still be a few weeks before I can get it in the air. I don't mind the wait as long as I know it will be set up properly.

Again, thanks for all the help! You all are the best!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]