Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

How do I intall the S9650 tail servo?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

How do I intall the S9650 tail servo?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
choppersrule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I intall the S9650 tail servo?

Need some help guys:

I've got a Trex 450 x, came with a HS50 tail servo. After a couple hard landings, it came apart and gears were everywhere.
I purchased a S9650 servo for the tail rotor and don't know what is needed to install properly. The link between the servo and the tail assembly seems a bit long. Is there an installation kit available, that I need?

Any advise would be appreciated, been grounded for two weeks.

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM
johnnychimpo

Default RE: How do I intall the S9650 tail servo?

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1366
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
djdavidcp

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Need some help guys:

I've got a Trex 450 x, came with a HS50 tail servo. After a couple hard landings, it came apart and gears were everywhere.
I purchased a S9650 servo for the tail rotor and don't know what is needed to install properly. The link between the servo and the tail assembly seems a bit long. Is there an installation kit available, that I need?

Dave / Choppersrule
Dave,

You purchased a digital tail servo and a fine one. I have the S9560 on my 450SE. You'll need a gyro that is compatible with digital servos like the GY401. Since you didn't mention which gyro you have, I'm not sure if the S9650 will work with your gyro. In any case, the GY401 and S9650 together are incredible and will hold your tail perfectly still.

As for the link between the servo and tail being too long, you sould be able to loosen the servo mount and slide the servo forward on the tail boom until it is in the right place (See picture). You can also turn the connectors on the ends of the tail linkage on their threads to shorten the length a little bit.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72463.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	613251  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need some help guys:

Dave / Choppersrule
Wow, funny you should ask. I *just* mounted my new S9650 on my 450 XL HDE and had the same problem. The Helidirect mounts look very nice - I will probably buy a set eventually. Until then, however, the stock plastic mounts on the T-Rex will work. You will need to drill two new holes in each of them as the S9650 mounting holes line up a couple mm farther away from the tail boom.

I've attached a few pics of how I mounted my servo. Mounting the ball on the underside of the servo horn keeps the rudder link rod from bending too much; you'll need to grind down the collar of the ball to keep the ball link from rubbing on the servo case.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36549.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	613383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38378.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	613384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73623.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	613385  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 PM
choppersrule

Doug,

The Trex I purchased was a combo deal from heli-hobby. Came with everything to fly, brushless motor, esc, DX6 sprectrum system, the whole ball of was for $499. The gyro that came with it is a telebee(spelling?). I've been reading on the forum for a year and read so many great things about the GY401 gyro. This Trex is the first great heli I've got. Started with the CX, then the CP, CP Pro and a Falcon3D. But I had to get the Trex, happy I did. I guess I'll go for the gold and get the GY401.

Johnnychimpo, Thanks for the link, appreciate it.

Taffey, thanks for the pics and advise on the mods. Remember me, I had the "CP Cloaking Device" post. Said it made your day.

Thanks to all for all the advise, guess I'll be clicking away and get the new mount and a GY401.

Gotta run and get ready for the Super Bowl, I'm from Greenwood, IN, 12 miles south of Indianapolis, needless to say a Colts fan.

Dave / Choppersrule

ORIGINAL: djdavidcp

Need some help guys:

Dave / Choppersrule
Dave,

You purchased a digital tail servo and a fine one. I have the S9560 on my 450SE. You'll need a gyro that is compatible with digital servos like the GY401. Since you didn't mention which gyro you have, I'm not sure if the S9650 will work with your gyro. In any case, the GY401 and S9650 together are incredible and will hold your tail perfectly still.

As for the link between the servo and tail being too long, you sould be able to loosen the servo mount and slide the servo forward on the tail boom until it is in the right place (See picture). You can also turn the connectors on the ends of the tail linkage on their threads to shorten the length a little bit.

Doug

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
djdavidcp

Go Bears!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
choppersrule

DjDavid,

Dude, I see your from Naperville, IL... I was born and raised in Gary Indiana, spent alot of time in Chicago. Attended a tech school for the phone company in Naperville years and years ago. I was a Bears fan back then.

[/quote]
Goooo Colts!!!!

[quote]ORIGINAL: djdavidcp

Go Bears!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taffey, thanks for the pics and advise on the mods. Remember me, I had the "CP Cloaking Device" post. Said it made your day.
I do indeed remember. That's still one of my favorite posts of all time.

Good luck with the servo mount - feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy the Super Bowl!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:34 PM
choppersrule

ORIGINAL: Taffey

I do indeed remember. That's still one of my favorite posts of all time.

Good luck with the servo mount - feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy the Super Bowl!
Thanks for advance help, keep ya in mind. Might repost the cloaking device, alot of new members.
Gotta run, Super Bowl is on, I'm a Colts fan, Live 12 miles south of Indy.

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 AM
djdavidcp

DjDavid,

Dude, I see your from Naperville, IL... I was born and raised in Gary Indiana, spent alot of time in Chicago. Attended a tech school for the phone company in Naperville years and years ago. I was a Bears fan back then.
I was born in Gary, Indiana too. Raised in Portage. Moved to Naperville in 1984 after graduating from Valparaiso Technical Institute. Small world.

Congrats on the Superbowl. Gross Rexman blew it.

Doug
Old 02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
FearNot

ORIGINAL: djdavidcp

Need some help guys:

Dave / Choppersrule
Dave,

Doug

I think you have your servo and gyro in "prime blade strike position" .... not being an expert myself but you may want to mount the gyro below the boom and the servo on the other side

cheers

Matt
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
choppersrule

Fearnot,
Only been in the hobby a year or so. Semi-noobie. I've never heard or seen the gyro below the boom installation. Got my curiousity up.
The Trex is my first great heli, had the CX CP Falcon 3D and a host of others. What is the advantage of the below boom install.
If you have any pictures, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave / Choppersrule
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 PM
FearNot

Well you are ahead of me ! I own a CX 2 and just have a Trex on order ... Until it arrives I spend my time educating myself

If the Gyro is on top of the boom, it can get hit by paddles or blades if you crash or land hard ... thats a costly mistake. (same goes for the tail servo if its on the right side of the boom.

There is a guy on Helifreaks.com who makes a mount that allows you to put the gyro UNDER the boom where the blades will never hit it

http://www.wavelandps.com/clearly/

cheers

Matt
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
djdavidcp

I think you have your servo and gyro in "prime blade strike position" .... not being an expert myself but you may want to mount the gyro below the boom and the servo on the other side

cheers

Matt
Matt,

I am aware of that issue. I installed it like that when I first got the Trex because I didn't like my homemade gyro mount for under the boom, and I wanted to get it in the air. I've got well over 100 flights and only one hard landing so far, no crashes. This is my second heli, so I've been able to keep it under control most of the time. I'll probably put the gyro under the boom before I fly it again, since it will be weeks before it is warm enough to fly it.

Doug
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
jgeorgic

This setup rocks..........
S9650 Servo with a Micro heli mount from Power Hobbies.
Futaba 401 Gyro is mounted using "JG's Gyro Mount".

Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
djdavidcp

ORIGINAL: jgeorgic

This setup rocks..........
S9650 Servo with a Micro heli mount from Power Hobbies.
Futaba 401 Gyro is mounted using "JG's Gyro Mount".

What is a JG's Gyro Mount and where do you get one?

Doug
Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
jgeorgic

The JG's Gyro Mount is something that I came up with based on existing inverted gyro mounts currently on the market.I have some for sell on EBAY or you can contact me directly at [email protected] is $15....shipped to your door.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
johnnychimpo

Got any pics JG?