Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

WTB T-rex, need help

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

WTB T-rex, need help

Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
blacksheep1998

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB T-rex, need help

I have a Blade CP, really hard to fly, keep breaking cause of the cheap components.

Looking at either the Caliber 400, or T-rex. Seems like the REX has better parts support since it has been out a while. Trying to decide on either the 450SA or 450SE, I like the all metal parts on the SE but am worried since I have read the frame mount for the skids can crack/break. And on the SA it only has some alum head parts, the rest are plastic, I am worried about bending rather than breaking and getting some wierd filght problems due to a bent frame.

Anyone using something like this: "Trex 450X / XL / SE Retrofit Hardened strut holders" from helihobby? Looks to be alum plates that mount to the frame to spred the load of the skids to a larger area.

So looking for help on the SA vs SE, and which parts to stockpile along with the Heli.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WTB T-rex, need help

I strongly prefer the SE. I love the accuracy of the machining on the aluminum parts.
I have flown and helped build/tweak about 2 dozen T-Rex 450s. From the early 450X to the SE. The best, smoothest, heli with plastic head parts was just equal to the SE out of the box.

As for hardened landing gear... I am not familiar with that product, but I hate the idea of 'hardened' in a part that is meant to act as a shock absorber. I prefer stock, white landing gear that has been boiled to reduce the brittleness. Gorilla gear also shares that flexibility.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Raserx

I have the 450S (same as SA). It is a great flying heli.

My only regret was not getting the upgraded metal parts sooner. I have had several flight interuptions by the ground and the seesaw/flybar parts keep breaking (rather delicate but only when you hit the ground). The metal version of those parts are not much more expensive than the plastic. So in my opinion at least get the metal flybar holder and seesaw control. Other than that its a really solid heli. I recently planted my S trying 3D so now I'm just buying an SE.

A near full speed nose stab still only cost about $100 to fix. Atleast it gave me the excuse to buy the SE...
Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
blacksheep1998

What about bent head parts/ broken frame parts? is this much of an issue? I am thinking SE will save me money in the long run, instead of a SA or XL then upgrade all the parts to metal which would be more $$ than the SE costs.

Pete
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Raserx

from what I have read on this forum the SE's tend to break servo's since they is the weakest link on the all metal head. I will let you know after I bounce my SE around a few times...

As for head parts I have bent a couple main shafts but they are only $10 for three. and have never bent a feathering shaft or any other head parts.

I do reccomend the upgraded main gears (with removable center). I have stripped several blue gears and white stock gears. But , the one I got from techmodel run true and can take a beating...FYI
Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
blacksheep1998

Awesome, looks like I have my answer, 450SE and get the gorilla gear to replace the factory ones. I will prob go with the HS-56 servos with metal, or carbonite gears. That should solve any breakage there. I have not managed to strip the main gear on my CP I have now, don't know what will happen with a bigger bird.

LHS does not stock anything for T-Rex now, but owner just bought one, so parts support should be soon. The don't carry anything but the E-Flight stuff now, but can get anything Horizon carries.

Just waiting for a quote from them, and trying to decide if I want to get one of the ones off of Ebay for 377 instead of 499 from LHS or Horizon.

Pete