Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Interesting RC Heli mag artical

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Interesting RC Heli mag artical

Old 02-13-2007, 10:51 AM
DHC8GURU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting RC Heli mag artical

I have never read an artical about one helicopter that referred to another helicopter so much. The latest issue of RC Heli reviewed the new Raptor E550 and constantly referred to the TREX 600 as a comparison (they said there will be a head to head artical). By the end of the article they left the reader thinking they should buy a TREX 600 instead. I already own a 600 and I like it just sitting there or cruising around the sky. It will be a long time before I will be able to fly any heli too its full potential. I think Thunder Tiger makes some of the best gas Heli's out there but its hard to tackle an Align electric heli on price quality and performance. Look at Mikado Helis, they practically invented the electric 3d heli and have astonishing quality but I don't think they have enjoyed the success that Align has which I attribute too the cost of there kits, I owned a Logo 10 carbon that of which I would have moved to a 14 carbon but the price was out of my budget and low and behold the TREX 600 came out..problem solved. Lets face it most heli flyers in the hobby have not gone beyond forward flight and basic aerobatics, being a 3d flyer doesn't happen overnight, even though we wish it would.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 AM
fr8brkr

Default RE: Interesting RC Heli mag artical

Just curious -- I have owned a 450 SA for about two weeks and despite a few hovering mishaps and in between awaiting parts for minor crash repairs -- my local LHS suggests the 600CP as the next logical step up --mind you, I have no where come close to mastering the 450 but, wanted to know if in fact the 600 provides a more stable base in terms of overall controlabilty. I am intrested in basic flying and not really concerned with 3d manuvers. Your thoughts are appreciated. Bill E.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
fr8brkr

Sorry --- meant 600 CF
Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
johnnychimpo

Of couse they do. Check out the prices on those batteries for a 600 class electric. Im quite happy with the size of a 450 class.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
Yes, the 600 is a good sized step up from the 450 in terms of stability.
Between my brothers and me, we have 3x 450, 1x 600, 2x Nitro 30 and 2x Nitro 50 helis. The 600 is the equivalent to the Nitro 50 in many ways.
Stability is about equal.
Power the 600 wins.
Flight duration the Nitro wins.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 PM
DHC8GURU

I have both a 450 se and the 600... when your ready it, the 600 would be the best choice if you want to stay in the electrics. I do need to tone my D rates down more on the 600 than the 450 (not sure exactly why) but I think they have the close to the same hovering stability they each just have a different feel to them. If you can fly a 450, the 600 really is not really that much different, I think the major difference between 400 class and a 600 class heli is being overwhelmed by the size of the 600. There's alot of blade swinging around to be intimidated by.
Lipo costs are just flat out wrong..but they will keep coming down..right now the battery manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank. Then again under two years ago I paid $300 for a 4s4p now its $200 or less.
The screws are being put too the battery manufactures to drive the costs down by the heli manufactures. 600 class heli require big expensive batteries and those heli won't move until the batteries get down to a reasonable cost.
thats ok for now, I fly my 450 in between the 600's battery charges.
The two real setbacks to a 6s1p - my car battery can't keep up with the high amp/voltage required to charge the battery in a decent time frame and there are only about 3-4 battery chargers that can do a 6s1p(high dollar also), I recommend a Schultz charger is660d, it can do up to 11 cells at 4.5 amps.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
fr8brkr

DHC8GURU / VINCE HERMAN

Thanks for the advice on the 600 CF -- I am a novice but learning a great deal and spending many hours boning up on REX facts -- I soon as become more adept to my 450 SA I plan on a jump to the 600 -- looks like a fine machine ! Blade side up !!!! Bill
Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Rob1962

I agree i love my 450 SE so much i have 7 batteries imagine if i loved the 600 that much you would be talking about $2100.00 compared to $300.00 when i want a different type of flying i will switch to my Predator Gasser or my Nitros Just my 2 dimes.