Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

water proofing

Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: water proofing

ORIGINAL: alienteabagger

Theoretically it is possible to do this. Plasti-dip this and that, the motor (provided that its brushless) can get wet and not suffer any damage. As for the ESC.... Have any of you seen the liquid cooling systems for desktop computers? Many people said it couldn't be done and yet nowadays many powerhouse gaming PCs feature liquid cooling. Seal up the ESC and get a liquid cooling system rigged up in there. HOWEVER!!!! with all that plasti-dip and the weight of the cooling system, good luck getting your bird off the ground.
I have a liquid cooled PC and can tell you a TREX cannot lift the cooling components of my PC. I have copper cooling blocks for both the CPU and the GPU, a small pump/fluid tank and radiator. All this plus the actual fluids weighs in at a between four and five pounds. This weight plus the fact that it runs at 12V would make it impractical. I guess that some components can be adapted to save weight but you still need to drive a pump.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 AM

Still seems like a waste of time to me
Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 AM

Obviously keep the bearings oiled.
Baloon around Rx, sealed with hot glue and a ziptie.
Silicon on the servo seams and heavy grease on the out put shaft.
The motor is not a problem, oil the bearings and blow out any water that is inside of it when finished.
The fix for the ESC...For a while now Castle Creations has been water proofing their esc's. Before they put the heat shrink on, they spray they finished circuit board with a light coat of clear enamel (I think it was enamel, you should double check). The guys from Castle said it would run completely submerged and be problem free.

Brian
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 AM

thanks guys, i appreciate the info. by the way, liquid cooling was out of the question. but it does get me thinking about what to do if i get a trex 600, lol. its gonna be quite a while before i try waterproofing anything as my budget wont allow it yet (the wife wont let me), but if i get around to it, i will post some pics.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM

I dont think wanting to fly in the rain in stupid at all. I stretched water balloons over the electronics of my Esky Lama 3. I think it is the funnest thing to fly it in the sprinkelers.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:35 PM

very good idea, very fun and creative, about the motor, no proble, the rest, with that dipp crea mthing that dries, and about the esc, spray some of taht stuff that the other guy told you, which will let the heat come out, but not let the water ome in, as i said, the motor has no problem with water, and the battery is very easy: just put it into that dipp that covers the objects, or put tape all around it, the tail rotor must be thoroughly greased, also do that to all the bearings, as you will have the spray that covers things, you can do that to the main and rotor blades, beacuse it ways not very much, but if applied well, you get the balde completely covered, the canopy is no probelm, landing skids have no problem... the servos woul be with the grease in the arms, and either the spray, the dipp, or tape for the rest of the area. The stabilizers sgoud have no problem, all this will give a little extra weight to the heli, but nothing that it cannot carry, i mean its a trex, they can lift about 150 g. right? and this system will only weigh about 50g. so lucky you, and make sure you take a ****in video camera dude!!!.

btw, the tx, is easy, just take a big umbrella that protects you and your tx, and happy flying in the rain!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 PM

All this reminds me of one of my first boats, way back in the 80's. It was a fast electric with vac formed hull in two parts. I built it with a lot of care and made sure all of the seals were perfect. The stuffing tube was well greased. The water cooling coils for the motors were sealed with zip ties and silicone. the hatch was sealed with weather stripping and covered with fresh tape each time. Everything was checked and yet, about a tablespoon of water got in with each 3 minute run. I even tried taping pieces of blotter paper inside the hull to see if I could find where the leak was. Never did find it but it just goes to show how difficult it is to waterproof something like an RC vehicle.
A little water will not be too big a problem. Just make sure to dry everything out at the end of each day of running it.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM

what you need is some 3m dp270 non conformant epoxy, i run electric boats and have covered my RX in dp270, its fully waterproof, i use it in my trex as i dont have any other RX's i can rely on.. the esc is waterproofable, i would find a heatsink.. a big one, cut to suit and fit then the esc with thermal grease, then epoxy the esc leaving the cooling fins exposed
Old 06-14-2007, 07:20 PM

And when we are all ready to have are Trex's fold space and time, I have created a Flux Capacitor