Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Hitec HS65 servo:  HB Vs. MG >

Hitec HS65 servo: HB Vs. MG

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Hitec HS65 servo: HB Vs. MG

Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HS65 servo: HB Vs. MG

What are the differences between the Hitec HS65 HB and MG servo versions? Which model is preferred? Obviously it's going to be the MG ($10 more expensive), but why?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Hitec HS65 servo: HB Vs. MG

The HB version has "carbonite" gears (plastic sort of), the MG has metal gears. I have been flying my 450SA with the HG servos since I got it without issues. I have crashed a couple of times and no lost gears and they are still nice and tight (good centering, and move great).

Steve
Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 PM

You'll probably get 99% response saying go with the MG.

As far as I understand, the only difference is the metal gear in the MG vs the karbonite gear in the HB. People can simply replace the karbonite gear with metal gears once their gear strip and ends up with the MG version.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not a fan of metal gears unless there is a real reason like high torque mini servos on fun fly airplanes. The mini helos perform better with the carbonite gears, they mesh better for a smoother feel. and they will last longer. Poeple will say that they strip if you crash, well is that a bad thing?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 PM

i would go for the MG's if you have CCPM swashplate.. you will strip the carbonite gears easilly, the only downfall with ccpm really is that the load from a rotor strike transmits to the servos
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 AM

I like the idea of starting with the HB's and replacing the gears when they strip (either with plastic or metal). I have had two fairly nasty crashes so far on my 450-SA with the HB's and the gears came through fine (I know your mileage may vary). If I run into trouble down the road I can always buy a metal gear replacement set.

Steve
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read this about the different material that they offer in the Hitec servos. Note the metal gears wear faster, they are also noisier, tend to have gear lash and can sometimes cause radio interference...

http://servocity.com/html/hitec_servos.html
Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
ptb

Most heli guy's swear by the metal gear's. i personally use the carbonite one's.
Glider guy's use the carbonite gear's, as the metal one's develope sloop, i guess heli's don't last as long as gliders,
Go figure .
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 AM

I went with the carbonite gears on my 450SA swash. Ditto a lot of the same complaints about metal, i.e. noise, slop and wear. Granted the carbonite can break in a crash, its like $3 to replace or upgrade to metal. Also, the added cost and weight of the metal gears pretty much seals the deal in favor of carbonite