Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 I need some help fine tuning my new T-Rex! >

I need some help fine tuning my new T-Rex!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

I need some help fine tuning my new T-Rex!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help fine tuning my new T-Rex!

Hello all,

I am new to the T-Rex forum, but I have been lurking around the E-Flite forum for a while. My first heli is a Blade CP Pro and I have about a hundred flights on it. I am an expert at adjusting and balancing it, and I can hover in all headings, do FF, and crash. I bought a T-Rex because I wanted a heavier machine that can handle some wind.

Made my first flight a few days ago, and I am in the process of refining my programming and mechanical adjustments. I find the T-Rex to be very stable, although not as much as I had anticipated from the different posts on this and other forums. Of course I am at ease with the BCPP, and I can adjust it very nicely. In comparison, I am not so familiar with the T-Rex and it may be off in terms of fine tuning. So I have a few questions :

I am almost scared by the head speed. I used the 13T pinion. Is that OK with my level of proficiency?

I find that the collective is very sensible. A little stick movement and I am suddenly going up, or down. No bobbing on its own though, only a very fine line between up and down in hover. Wasn't there some kind of fine throttle and pitch adjustment other than Exponential possible with computer radios? (I have a 9C)

The tail is wagging at times, even with the GY-401 and 9650 digital servo. How can I troubleshoot that? The tail rotor servo arm is at the first hole, the distance from the servo center and the first hole is about 7 mm, and even then I had to set the limits of the gyro to 80. The endpoints in my radio are at 40%.

What should I use to lubricate the belt?

Thank you for whatever help you guys can provide, I am alone in this, nobody I know has a T-Rex.

Regards
Georges

Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 AM

Default RE: I need some help fine tuning my new T-Rex!

Hi George - used to have a blade cp [never could get that tail to hold yea?], now have a rex sa

i use a 13t pinion and it is scary to start with, just make sure everything is secure before
every flight

i dont have any probs with up/down collective and i dont have a 9c so cant comment
on that issue

if your tail is wagging you need to turn the gain down

i think the general consensus is not to lubricate the belt [but could be wrong]

its a great heli but since ive got mine it now has metal grips and flybar cage/seesaw,
i would reccomend these parts when your plastic ones break!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM

You'll get used to the head speed. In a couple of weeks you won't think twice about it.

Is your radio setup for a heli? A lof of people remove the click on the throttle - I found when I had the click on mine that I would end up in a position where hovering was a little difficult at some headspeeds because one click here or there could send it up or down too much.

Some people lube the belt with a silicon spray.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM

[link=http://helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=12455]Watch these videos and be enlightened!![/link]

I moved up from an AxeCP and had to switch out the 13 tooth pinion for the 11 tooth to slow the head down. Got more flight time as a result too.

As for the sensitive collective, %20 - %30 expo on elevator and aileron helps alot!!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the tips and comments guys! In the old days before the internet, it was often difficult being the first to buy a new machine in the area.

Anybody has the GY-401 and 9650 digital servo combination on the T-Rex? How are they setup?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Georges.......have you watched finless's videos at helifreak.com? In his tech forum he has a video dedicated to the 401 and how to set it up. Granted you do have to register with the site but they have a great TREX section and the videos alone are worth the signup. [link=http://www.helifreaks.com/]Helifreaks[/link]

go to finless bobs tech room and then the General TREX Se build videos, in that thread is a sticky for the 401 setup.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!